How do you post pictures?

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

How do you post pictures?

Post by wonderboy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:50 pm

Im really confued by this and don't know how to do it.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: How do you post pictures?

Post by geckzilla » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:54 pm

howtopostpictures.png
howtopostpictures2.png
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

arieltrepin
Asternaut

tankyou

Post by arieltrepin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi, bry intructive

OLT
Asternaut

Post by OLT » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:19 pm

Hmm,

I am reading this question and the answer. But when I select reply, I don't see an Upload Attachment link or tab next to Options. So I guess I will continue to read the manual - which seems to be a collection of emails. Pressing on. This is becoming quite the learning adventure.

Terry - W6LMJ

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:37 pm

OLT wrote:Hmm,

I am reading this question and the answer. But when I select reply, I don't see an Upload Attachment link or tab next to Options. So I guess I will continue to read the manual - which seems to be a collection of emails. Pressing on. This is becoming quite the learning adventure.
I think the ability to upload images may be limited for new members. It gives the moderators a chance to weed out spammers.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Yup.

Terry, you seem to have managed to read about everything except this, which is what you were looking for.
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22034

OLT
Asternaut

Post by OLT » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:38 am

Ah, yes, this part:

To post an image that is already online:
Please click the "Post Reply" button that appears at the top or bottom of the thread. (The "Quick Reply" screen is not as friendly for posting images.)
Use the img, img2, or img3 tag. (I usually use the img2 tag.)
Click the image tag you want; that will make the tags appear in the reply window.
Put your cursor between the tags, and insert the URL of your image -- this should be the URL of just the image itself. Please test the link you want to use by putting it in the address bar of your browser. If you get MORE THAN the image in the browser window -- if you get an entire web page -- you don't have the URL to the image file and putting the URL you have between the img tags will NOT work.
Click "Submit." Woo-hoo! You're done!

However, with your help I was able to succeed.

Thanks again.

Terry - W6LMJ

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:55 am

Use the img, img2, or img3 tag. (I usually use the img2 tag.)
Why are there three "img" codes? What determines the best one to use?

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:49 pm

The img tag presents the image inline but doesn't allow for clicking on it to see the image at a larger size, as img2 does. img3 allows for use of a caption under the image and for seeing the image at its true size. All three img tags constrain the view of the image to 400px across, this a setting of our forum software.

Use of img tag:

Use of img2 tag: Use of img3 tag: Image from http://www.cutebunnypictures.com/pictur ... is_sad.htm
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:05 am

Thank you very much Owlice, and that was a wonderfully illustrated example. I promise to use these powers with great discretion.

That reminds me, (warning, completely unnecessary, off topic, totally irrelevant, trivial personal anecdotal verbiage to follow) in my childhood the pet progression wasn’t Kittens Puppies Bunnies, it was Kittens Bunnies Puppies Guppies.

Insane demand for non-secrete entrance code alteration by miss-understood weirdo newcomer punctuated with pointless exclamation points.

Profuse apologies for misplaced meta-speak. :wink:

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:17 am

There's a pet progression?? My childhood experience featured pet expansion; we had dogs (never more than one at a time except when my dog had 9 puppies), cats (almost always more than one, with a bonus round of simultaneous litters that boosted the cat population to 13), guppies, neon tetras, seahorses, one hamster, one mouse, the occasional injured-and-nursed-back-to-health wild bird (drove the cats crazy), turtles, and salamanders. No bunnies, nor snakes. Mostly cats, though; a lot of cats.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:45 pm

What an animal enriched childhood!

Back to the photo posting topic, I seemed to have overstepped a rule about copyrighted photo posting in today’s APOD, which you corrected Owlice. Thanks. As you noticed that photo was one included in the Wikipedia article on Monument Valley. Obviously, I must have been wrong to assume that Wiki photos are in the public domain. What should I have done to make my use of that photo completely kosher?

Bruce

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:05 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:Back to the photo posting topic, I seemed to have overstepped a rule about copyrighted photo posting in today’s APOD, which you corrected Owlice. Thanks. As you noticed that photo was one included in the Wikipedia article on Monument Valley. Obviously, I must have been wrong to assume that Wiki photos are in the public domain. What should I have done to make my use of that photo completely kosher?
You can use almost all the images in Wikipedia. First, click on the image to be taken to its page. The licensing terms are listed. The image you posted is CC-BY (which is the most common). This means you can freely use the work, but if an author is listed, you should attribute him. In this case, something like "Digital photo taken by Marc Averette." The actual rules.

As a rule, you can provide a link to the original image (rather than uploading a copy) along with a link to the original page, and that satisfies most rules. That's because links are not treated as usage in most cases- the Internet is built on the concept of links not violating copyrights.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:22 am

Thanks Chris.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:30 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:What an animal enriched childhood!

Back to the photo posting topic, I seemed to have overstepped a rule about copyrighted photo posting in today’s APOD, which you corrected Owlice. Thanks. As you noticed that photo was one included in the Wikipedia article on Monument Valley. Obviously, I must have been wrong to assume that Wiki photos are in the public domain. What should I have done to make my use of that photo completely kosher?

Bruce
Bruce, the image was also too large for a hotlink; that's why I attached it rather than keep the hotlink. Hotlinked images should be under 400K; larger images can slow a thread down.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:59 am

Always a good idea to keep the page footprint down when possible. Low bandwidth connections seem like a thing of the past but in fact people are browsing from their phones using cellular connections more than ever. They aren't as bad as the old dial-up but they sure run a lot smoother without a lot of extra stuff to load.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:34 am

So... a hotlink would be when you use a url tag? ... But you would still have to down load and resize the picture to less than 400 kb before using attachment, or the computer wouldn't accept it, right?
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:36 am

The file size limit for uploading to Asterisk is much higher now than it used to be. The only thing I don't recommend uploading to the forum is animated GIFs. It tries to resize them and does a bad job at it.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:39 am

Ok, what does much higher mean??

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:55 am

You, sir, do not need to post images.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:07 am

Hmmm... there must be a difference between pictures (which are images) and images of space things then, because i do post pictures once in a while (which are images) but i never post any images of space things unless it's through a quote. So there must be two categories for the word image, as far as the Asterisk* is concerned.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:18 am

When I say you do not need to post images, what I really mean is don't post images because you don't seem to understand it. Once you do, you can post images. Quotes are also fine for now. Small moves, Beyond. Small moves.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:39 am

I must have been posting 'dumb' pictures all along, as i haven't learned a thing from them. Oh well, maybe one day I'll run across some 'smart' pictures to post.

kbastro
Asternaut

Post by kbastro » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:17 pm

Attachments
ic-423_426.jpg

strivedi
Asternaut

Rosette Nebula

Post by strivedi » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:20 pm