APOD: NGC 7814: The Little Sombrero in Pegasus (2013 Oct 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: APOD: NGC 7814: The Little Sombrero in Pegasus (2013 Oct

Post by geckzilla » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Easy enough to fix.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:29 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:Don’t know why my last comment was attributed to “Guest”, but it came from that weird sonofafarmer from south Texas normally known as BDanielMayfield. Wasn’t trying to be an ominous. :ssmile:
"sonofa". Is that a cash crop :?:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ken Crawford
Ensign

Post by Ken Crawford » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:25 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:When I invert the image then adjust the brightness and contrast, the "Blob" at 8:00 appears to be located within a slight tidal stream pointing in the direction of the center of the little sombrero. The "Blob" at 6:00 might also share the same type of structure though fainter. The "Blob" at 10:00 still resembles a blob with no apparent tidal streaming
This why I imaged this galaxy in the first place. The star stream team tries to detect the remnants of the destruction of dwarf galaxies during the interaction with larger ones. For the survey we stretch the data to the breaking point inverted to detect faint structures. What is very cool, is that most of the detection work is done by the Amateurs on the team with modest equipment. See this link if you are more interested . . . . http://www.imagingdeepsky.com/Streams.html

Regards,

Ken C.

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:28 am

Ken, thanks for the lovely and interesting images, and thanks to everyone else for your enlightening comments. Apod and starship asterisk at their best.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:00 am

geckzilla wrote:Easy enough to fix.
Thanks
Beyond wrote: "sonofa". Is that a cash crop :?:
Unfortunately no Beyond, since the region is world famous for producing sonofablanks, some of whom are also sonsofarmers. (Sonso being the plural of “sonofa”). :)
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:36 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:
geckzilla wrote:Easy enough to fix.
Thanks
Beyond wrote: "sonofa". Is that a cash crop :?:
Unfortunately no Beyond, since the region is world famous for producing sonofablanks, some of whom are also sonsofarmers. (Sonso being the plural of “sonofa”). :)
You managed that quite well. Those sonofa can be quite tricky to deal with sometimes. :yes: :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:05 am

Ann wrote:Okay, just one more. I just have to confirm that NGC 7814 really is very similar to M104. Both galaxies have very similar and quite red colors. They have huge bulges and halos and thin dust disks with little star formation. NGC 7814, interestingly, appears to have significant population of intermediately aged stars of spectral classes A, F and G in its disk. M104, by contrast, lacks any obvious concentrations of young stars.

M104 was recently described as two galaxies in one, a combination of an elliptical galaxy and a disk galaxy. Long ago, when the universe was much more gas-rich than today, gas clouds are believed to have fallen into orbit around the young M104, eventually giving rise to the flat disk that we see today. (Maybe M104 can be described as a galaxy-sized version of Saturn?)

Given that NGC 7814 is so similar to M104, it seems likely that the two galaxies formed in similar ways.

Ann
The other interesting thing about M104 is that it has a really long and faint tidal tail that is likely the result of cannibalization of one or more previous dwarf companions. Maybe NGC 7814 evolved this same way but the tidal structures have dispersed due to their age? Anyway, it was a very good idea to search for signs of past satellite accretion in this galaxy!

Also I would like to say Ann, you're the best! :D :wink: :wink:

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Ken Crawford wrote:
BMAONE23 wrote:When I invert the image then adjust the brightness and contrast, the "Blob" at 8:00 appears to be located within a slight tidal stream pointing in the direction of the center of the little sombrero. The "Blob" at 6:00 might also share the same type of structure though fainter. The "Blob" at 10:00 still resembles a blob with no apparent tidal streaming
This why I imaged this galaxy in the first place. The star stream team tries to detect the remnants of the destruction of dwarf galaxies during the interaction with larger ones. For the survey we stretch the data to the breaking point inverted to detect faint structures. What is very cool, is that most of the detection work is done by the Amateurs on the team with modest equipment. See this link if you are more interested . . . . http://www.imagingdeepsky.com/Streams.html

Regards,

Ken C.
Ken,
Thanks for the link. I'll certainly check it out

Bryan