APOD: Cap Cloud over the Sierra Nevadas (2013 Nov 26)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD: Cap Cloud over the Sierra Nevadas (2013 Nov 26)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:29 pm

owlice wrote:Right, but that''s not the point, or not my point, anyway. My point was that in English (at least in the US), the Sierra Nevadas are called the Sierra Nevadas, as in the title of the APOD.
I know. It was just a tangent.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
owlice wrote:Right, but that''s not the point, or not my point, anyway. My point was that in English (at least in the US), the Sierra Nevadas are called the Sierra Nevadas, as in the title of the APOD.
I know. It was just a tangent.
Ahhhh, okay; sorry! Head is pounding, so I'm even more confused than usual. At least, I hope this is more confused than usual, but I may not be in a state in which I can really determine that.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:58 pm

madtom1999 wrote:Its a lovely cloud and a lovely picture but this is Astronomy Picture Of the Day and it seems clouds are getting in the way of astronomy here too!

Weather affects astronomy....and I guess that makes it a part of astronomy....or something there-a-bouts.....

Boomer12k

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:04 pm

Dirt it may be....necessary for plant life, it is....we would not be here if not for the Humble Dirt.....even with water...

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:05 pm

We get "Not astronomy!" comments here virtually every time a terrestrial image is run. If you're a regular, you should know this and we should probably just shrug them off.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:36 pm

owlice wrote:As others have mentioned, we have a mountain range called Sierra Nevada in the US, too, and these are usually referred to/called "the Sierra Nevadas."
I suppose that's one of the things about the English language which adds to its richness. It seems to have been appropriate to appropriate many words from other languages and tweak them and call them English. Having said that, some might refer to the word "nevadas" as Spanglish (which is itself a word of the New World).

Bill R

Bell Weather vs. Bellwether

Post by Bill R » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:46 pm

Bell Weather? I don't thin so. Maybe Belle Weather from the French.

From Wikipedia A bellwether is any entity in a given arena that serves to create or influence trends or to presage future happenings.

The term is derived from the Middle English bellewether and refers to the practice of placing a bell around the neck of a castrated ram (a wether) leading his flock of sheep. The movements of the flock could be noted by hearing the bell before the flock was in sight

Cute though. Great photo

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Re: Bell Weather vs. Bellwether

Post by Nitpicker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:50 pm

Bill R wrote:Bell Weather? I don't thin so. Maybe Belle Weather from the French.

From Wikipedia A bellwether is any entity in a given arena that serves to create or influence trends or to presage future happenings.

The term is derived from the Middle English bellewether and refers to the practice of placing a bell around the neck of a castrated ram (a wether) leading his flock of sheep. The movements of the flock could be noted by hearing the bell before the flock was in sight

Cute though. Great photo
The cloud looks like a bell.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:58 pm

Nitpicker wrote:
owlice wrote:As others have mentioned, we have a mountain range called Sierra Nevada in the US, too, and these are usually referred to/called "the Sierra Nevadas."
I suppose that's one of the things about the English language which adds to its richness. It seems to have been appropriate to appropriate many words from other languages and tweak them and call them English. Having said that, some might refer to the word "nevadas" as Spanglish (which is itself a word of the New World).
I wouldn't call this an example of Spanglish. This is just the adoption of a proper noun from one language into another. We use neither "sierra" nor "nevada" as borrowed words. And even if it were a borrowed word, we'd expect to adapt it to English rules of grammar. Pretty much all languages do the same. Cases where we preserve some aspect of the original grammar rules are the exceptions, not the rules.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:24 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:some might refer to the word "nevadas" as Spanglish
I wouldn't call this an example of Spanglish. This is just the adoption of a proper noun from one language into another. We use neither "sierra" nor "nevada" as borrowed words. And even if it were a borrowed word, we'd expect to adapt it to English rules of grammar. Pretty much all languages do the same. Cases where we preserve some aspect of the original grammar rules are the exceptions, not the rules.
Opinions vary and exceptions abound. It is hard to be definitive with (exceptional) English and especially hard with pidgin languages like Spanglish. I can accept that you don't think that "Nevadas" is Spanglish. I only made the rather soft statement that 'some might refer to the word "nevadas" as Spanglish'.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:34 am

Si. sum. It does sorta add up. :wink:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:37 am

It's a cute image of the cat that is brought up through the "cooling" link in the explanation to the APOD. :) I cannot decide though if it is a manipulated image or not. Image