APOD: Everest Panorama from Mars (2013 Dec 08)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Re: APOD: Everest Panorama from Mars (2013 Dec 08)

Post by Nitpicker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:28 am

geckzilla wrote:This time no one came in and condemned us for using the word Everest to describe the mountain. Any takers?
Everest or "Holy Mother" (when translated from the Nepalese and Tibetan names) versus Husband Hill. Nothing wrong with that. One big happily family.

yahchanan

Post by yahchanan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:40 am

Please, the three words (high, tall, large) are clearly defined, and they do not mean the same thing (whether speaking of mountains or men). Maybe that is news to y'all? Anyone considering himself a scientist should be precise enough to use the correct word, and qualify it when necessary.

BTW, here is a fun link, since someone brought up McKinley (I am not connected to this website):
http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/mcki ... n-everest/

Yahchanan

Why is it other people get away with putting their personal website links down here, but mine is erased? Am I being discriminated against?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:52 am

You are a guest. Linking to websites not pertaining to the conversation is seen as a form of advertisement or spam. Registered users may make use of the forum's signature function or the website field of their profiles.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:06 am

yahchanan wrote:Please, the three words (high, tall, large) are clearly defined, and they do not mean the same thing (whether speaking of mountains or men). Maybe that is news to y'all? Anyone considering himself a scientist should be precise enough to use the correct word, and qualify it when necessary.

BTW, here is a fun link, since someone brought up McKinley (I am not connected to this website):
http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/mcki ... n-everest/

Yahchanan

Why is it other people get away with putting their personal website links down here, but mine is erased? Am I being discriminated against?
Your stories are tall and your points highly dubious and largely irrelevant. I'm sorry that I can't be a bigger man, but I've decided to return your great rudeness in kind. :spam:

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer