APOD: Jelly Donut Shaped Rock Appears on Mars (2014 Jan 29)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Re: APOD: Jelly Donut Shaped Rock Appears on Mars (2014 Jan

Post by BDanielMayfield » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:38 am

Two back to back LLOL postings, Anthony and Rob. :lol2: :lol2:

But Anthony, you have a history of highlighting the benefits of robotic over manned exploration. A far less expensive approach would be to simply back the rover up, or circle it around so it can find the durn hole the rock came from. :idea:

To those in Acemellow’s “its there all along” camp, please consider this short chain of logic:
Explanation: … the rock's unusual light tones surrounding a red interior created interest in its composition -- as well as causing it to be nicknamed Jelly Donut. A subsequent chemical analysis showed the rock has twice the abundance of manganese than any other rock yet examined ...
Note that this rock has already been subjected to chemical analysis.

And from NBC Science:
A closer look at the rock using Opportunity's robotic arm-mounted instruments revealed even more surprises.
Don’t you think they would have found the hole from whence this came when they picked it up???

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:58 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:Though the two de-skewed blink comparisons are excellent (and wish I knew how to extract the secrets embedded in Chris's 3D cross-eye before image ... I haven't been able to "see" those since I was a kid).
Do you prefer anaglyphs?
Ha! I just re-trained my eyes and can now "see" your cross-eye images (and anyone else's). Very cool (although the method has a slightly nauseating after-effect, which has nothing to do with the subjects of the photos).

I vaguely recall playing with red/blue glasses almost two decades ago, but I had forgotten (or never learnt) the word "anaglyphs". I will dig up my disused eyepiece filters later, to fashion an effective pair of red/blue glasses. Thanks again.

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:18 am

Dust devil delivery system ?
Wolf Kotenberg

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:32 am

I am wondering 2 things.
  1. How was a chemical analysis performed on the jelly-donut object ? If one of you can explain that to me I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. I wonder why nobody replied to one of the earliest comments in the thread:
    Guest wrote:More likely to be a piece of the aging and decaying rover itself?
I think one should consider not just the rover itself. I imagine that a rover landing involves a lot of debris of various materials. And I think that these rovers travel relatively small distances in their travels. So, for example, a piece of styrofoam or parachute or some other such material, having blown in the wind to rest near the rover seems a possibility. Perhaps slim, perhaps not. It may be that ta152h0, posting just above, is thinking along the same lines, at least in part.
Mark Goldfain

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:48 am

MarkBour wrote:How was a chemical analysis performed on the jelly-donut object ?
I haven't seen any details published yet. But there are a number of instruments that could be used, individually or in combination. These include the cameras and their large filter assortment, and the IR, x-ray, and Mössbauer spectrometers.
MarkBour wrote:I wonder why nobody replied to one of the earliest comments in the thread:
I think one should consider not just the rover itself. I imagine that a rover landing involves a lot of debris of various materials. And I think that these rovers travel relatively small distances in their travels. So, for example, a piece of styrofoam or parachute or some other such material, having blown in the wind to rest near the rover seems a possibility. Perhaps slim, perhaps not. It may be that ta152h0, posting just above, is thinking along the same lines, at least in part.
Nothing on the rover is decaying like this. The object has already been studied mineralogically to some extent. That it's a natural Martian rock is beyond doubt.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:58 am

MarkBour wrote:I am wondering 2 things.
  1. How was a chemical analysis performed on the jelly-donut object ? If one of you can explain that to me I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. I wonder why nobody replied to one of the earliest comments in the thread:
There are details of the scientific instruments aboard Opportunity, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunit ... nstruction

The rock has been analysed by experts and determined to be, first and foremost, a rock. From the "analysis showed" link in the APOD explanation:
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/mysterious-mars-rock-looks-jelly-doughnut-defies-explanation-2D11972899 wrote:It's like nothing we [sic] ever seen before. It's very high in sulfur, very high in magnesium, it has twice as much manganese than anything we've seen on Mars," Squyres said with excitement in last week's Jan. 16 event.
Edit: and Opportunity is more than 20 km away from its landing site.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:55 am

Damn it, now I'm wondering about the precise chemistry of the lithium ion batteries (LIBs) used by Opportunity, and what kind of chemical reaction one might see on the Martian soil, if the batteries were to leak. It seems there is a wide variety of chemistry across the range of LIBs and some include manganese. And magnesium sulphate appears to be in abundance in Meridiani Planum. Are there any chemists on board the Starship?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:00 am

Nitpicker wrote:Are there any chemists on board the Starship?
Chris knows everything but dancing.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:09 am

Thanks, Chris and Nitpicker, for your replies.
They strongly persuade me against the theory that it is a piece of human space junk, debris blown into the region.
In particular, I did not realize that Opportunity was actually 20 km away from its landing site. Way farther than I imagined.

Still, it kind of looks to me like it could be a wadded up piece of this stuff:
NASA image from Wikimedia
NASA image from Wikimedia
(highest resolution of this image here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... A05152.jpg)
more than it looks to me like a martian rock.
(Here's a nice view of Challenger Memorial Station: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Planum.jpg)

I would not argue with experts, but the link you gave did not show me that the experts said it was definitely a rock. I looked at the wikipedia article you linked. Lots in there. But it seems like Opportunity's instruments are mostly optical instruments. So, I don't know if it is able to poke the thing, pick it up, and weigh it for density, or anything like that.

So, while my theory now seems to me extremely unlikely, I am still wondering what theory of its origin is really able to hold up. Are we thinking Opportunity just happened to kick over a sort of a "geode" (is there a better term), that has a bottom side unlike anything ever yet found on Mars, let alone anything else in the nearby region?

I would probably know that my idea was totally ruled out if I better understood the analysis that produced the statements about the chemical composition of the object, and if it was able to prove that the object was inconsistent with the makeup of any part of the items that landed with the rover.

MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:51 pm

Very nice geckzilla!!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:26 pm

Nitpicker wrote:Damn it, now I'm wondering about the precise chemistry of the lithium ion batteries (LIBs) used by Opportunity, and what kind of chemical reaction one might see on the Martian soil, if the batteries were to leak. It seems there is a wide variety of chemistry across the range of LIBs and some include manganese. And magnesium sulphate appears to be in abundance in Meridiani Planum. Are there any chemists on board the Starship?
Here's a useful paper about the batteries and their chemistry.

While Li ion batteries utilize liquid electrolytes, the volume is very low, so there's not a lot to leak. And in the case of the rovers, the batteries are inside the radioisotope heated, insulated warm box, so I think the likelihood of anything from the batteries coming into contact with the martian surface is extremely small.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:28 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Ha. Sometimes I just know where to go for answers.

And don't forget sports, and popular music from the last 20 years. Two of the Jeopardy categories that really mess me up.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Strangerbarry

Post by Strangerbarry » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:36 pm

I put it there. I'm a bit surprised at all the fuss and cafufle over what I thought was a harmless prank, but I'm really enjoying the reaction. I'm think next time I'll leave a picture of Miley Cyrus on the wrecking ball so I can follow the conversation of the scientific community as they debate the anomalies in the elemental analysis.

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:39 pm

It would be interesting if there could be a correlation to the manganese content and manganese nodules found formed in the seabeds here on Earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manganese_nodule

Of course the most fun would be if it turned out to be a manganese-containing sea shell. :!: :?: :idea:
Make Mars not Wars

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:43 pm

Strangerbarry wrote:
I'm a bit surprised at all the fuss and cafufle over what I thought was a harmless prank, but I'm really enjoying the reaction.
KERFUFFLE (chiefly British) : disturbance, fuss; alteration of carfuffle, from Scots car- (probably from Scottish Gaelic cearr wrong, awkward) + fuffle to become disheveled [First Known Use: 1946]
Art Neuendorffer

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:27 pm

Is it possible to follow NASA's plan to investigate this finding? I would have liked to see the look on the person's face when the download from the rover came on screen. That look and some quickened pulses has probably been a pretty common occurrence over the last ten years. Good work to all of you. :clap: You deserve lots of Kudos!!
Make Mars not Wars

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:01 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

thomas_callahan

Post by thomas_callahan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:34 pm

Has this really not been done on this thread yet?

I know where it came from:

Now we've solved the mystery of the appearing rock AND where Elvis has been hiding all this time.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:25 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:Damn it, now I'm wondering about the precise chemistry of the lithium ion batteries (LIBs) used by Opportunity, and what kind of chemical reaction one might see on the Martian soil, if the batteries were to leak. It seems there is a wide variety of chemistry across the range of LIBs and some include manganese. And magnesium sulphate appears to be in abundance in Meridiani Planum. Are there any chemists on board the Starship?
Here's a useful paper about the batteries and their chemistry.

While Li ion batteries utilize liquid electrolytes, the volume is very low, so there's not a lot to leak. And in the case of the rovers, the batteries are inside the radioisotope heated, insulated warm box, so I think the likelihood of anything from the batteries coming into contact with the martian surface is extremely small.
Thank you. I did actually "read" that, but completely missed the bit about LiPF6:
This chemistry utilized our first generation low temperature Li-ion battery electrolyte, i.e., 1 M LiPF6 dissolved in equi-proportion ternary mixture of ethylene carbonate, dimethyl carbonate and diethyl carbonate.
So, no manganese there.

Walker1001

Post by Walker1001 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:02 pm

It's a Tim Horton's blueberry donut, put there before Dunkin Donuts could get there. The puzzle is how did we Canadians do it? :D

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:25 pm

Walker1001 wrote:It's a Tim Horton's blueberry donut, put there before Dunkin Donuts could get there. The puzzle is how did we Canadians do it? :D
HINT--->Image
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:28 pm

I leave a trail of donut crumbs. So much tastier than bread crumbs.

Rob

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:53 pm

Here is a short (3min) video featuring Steve Squyres discussing the Rock from Space.com

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:04 pm

Here is an interesting article on the rock in PHYS.ORG containing an image of the likely former resting place partially visible beneath the Rover Solar Array Wing

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:31 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
Here is an interesting article on the rock in PHYS.ORG containing an image
of the likely former resting place partially visible beneath the Rover Solar Array Wing

Art Neuendorffer