APOD: NGC 2683: Edge On Spiral Galaxy (2014 Feb 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Re: APOD: NGC 2683: Edge On Spiral Galaxy (2014 Feb 05)

Post by Cousin Ricky » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:12 am

Anthony Barreiro wrote:I don't understand what flying saucers have to do with Vietnamese skylore, nor what connection you have to Vietnam.
My Vietnamese sign is the cat, and NGC 2683 is in Lynx. I have no connection to Vietnam, but I do like the Al Stewart song, “Year of the Cat.”

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:15 am

MarkBour wrote:
Ann wrote: . . . This galaxy is somewhat bland and poor in star formation. Or, to put it somewhat differently, this flying saucer lacks its red nebulae brake lights.
Ann --
Just wondering. Do edge-on galaxies show us less nebulae in general, or can we see them fine in most edge-on galaxies? I'm wondering if this galaxy is perhaps more rich in them than we can see, just that the dust lanes block our view.
Edge-on galaxies are not all the same, of course, just like face-on galaxies are not all the same. Some have a lot of bright and obvious red emission nebulae, while others have none that we can see.

Like Rob Gendler pointed out, NGC 2683 probably doesn't have a lot of emission nebulae at all. At least not in the part of it that we can see. But the very regular shape of NGC 2683 suggests, to me at least, that the galaxy likely doesn't contain a lot of star formation overall.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:57 am

Cousin Ricky wrote:The Hyades and the Pleiades didn't give it away? (OK, maybe the bits of Auriga and Orion in the field might be confusing.)
You've got all that stuff in that small space? No wonder i couldn't tell anything. But even if i did recognize some of it, i still wouldn't have known what you were talking about, even though i spent almost a year and a half in Vietnam. And what's those two gray rectangles??
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:46 am

Beyond wrote:And what's those two gray rectangles??
=

How to use the =

2+2=4

This was a bit of a social movement on Facebook a while back and changing your profile picture to an equal sign was originally support for marriage equality but it may have branched out beyond just that.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:02 am

I thought they were monoliths from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Either that or a statement saying that starsigns are bull.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

The Whetstone of Witte

Post by neufer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:27 am

geckzilla wrote:
Beyond wrote:
And what's those two gray rectangles??
=

How to use the =

2+2=4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Recorde wrote: <<Robert Recorde (ca. 1512–1558) was a Welsh physician & mathematician.

Recorde: 1) invented the "equals" sign (=),
  • 2) introduced the pre-existing "plus" sign (+) to English speakers and
    3) popularized the name zenzizenzizenzic to represent the eighth power of a number
In his 1557 work _The Whetstone of Witte_ Recorde recorded that
zenzizenzizenzic "doeth represent the square of squares squaredly" Image.

(The root word for Recorde's notation is zenzic, which is a German spelling of the medieval Italian word censo, meaning "squared".)>>
Art Neuendorffer

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:15 am

Beyond wrote:You've got all that stuff in that small space? No wonder i couldn't tell anything. But even if i did recognize some of it, i still wouldn't have known what you were talking about, even though i spent almost a year and a half in Vietnam. And what's those two gray rectangles??
It's no good if you have to explain it.
My tropical sign = Taurus = bull = what I think of astrology. In the avatar, north is 30&deg; clockwise from vertical.
My year of birth = 1963 CE = Chinese year of the rabbit = Lepus.
My year of birth = 1963 CE = Vietnamese year of the cat = Lynx.
And yes, the equal sign is slacktivist support for marriage equality, but rather than completely replace my avatar, I just worked the equal sign into the design.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I try to ignore all that kinda stuff whenever possible. :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:25 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:So you don't believe that the vast majority of the universe (Dark Matter) through which the galaxies move, or in which the galaxies move, is a reality?
Dark matter and ordinary matter are gravitationally bound. There's nothing to suggest that galaxies are moving through larger fields of dark matter. The exception is in galaxy clusters, where the entire cluster supports a dark matter halo. But I've seen nothing to suggest any morphological impact on the galaxies within those clusters (e.g. warped edges or tumbling).

And while galaxies might (and it's far from certain) show motion on more than a single axis, I wouldn't characterize them as tumbling, and I'd certainly not associate it with the influence of any intergalactic medium.
Dark Matter and ordinary matter may affect each other, but to say they are gravitationally bound is a stretch. Ordinary matter affects other ordinary matter in gravity but they are not bound .. if so rockets could not leave earth's gravity field.

How do you account for the warped edges clearly visible in many galaxies?

Did you look into the urls I posted?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:32 pm

Tumbleweed wrote:Dark Matter and ordinary matter may affect each other, but to say they are gravitationally bound is a stretch. Ordinary matter affects other ordinary matter in gravity but they are not bound .. if so rockets could not leave earth's gravity field.
Rockets don't leave Earth's gravity field. Bodies are gravitationally connected even if they aren't in closed orbits... that is, even if their relative velocity exceeds their escape velocity. The material in a galaxy is certainly gravitationally bound, and that includes both the ordinary matter and the dark matter halo. In the case of galaxies, they are certainly bound by any reasonable definition, being in mutually closed orbits.
How do you account for the warped edges clearly visible in many galaxies?
Collisions. Possibly internal tidal interactions. But not interactions with some sort of tenuous intergalactic medium.
Did you look into the urls I posted?
Yes.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:42 pm

Cousin Ricky wrote:...My tropical sign = Taurus = bull = what I think of astrology. In the avatar, north is 30&deg; clockwise from vertical.
My year of birth = 1963 CE = Chinese year of the rabbit = Lepus.
My year of birth = 1963 CE = Vietnamese year of the cat = Lynx. ...
I didn't know that Vietnamese astrology uses different animals than Chinese astrology for some years. According to http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/index.p ... pic=254721, there are three differences:

Chinese........Vietnamese
Rabbit..........Cat
Ox..............Water buffalo
Sheep..........Goat

Given the history of Chinese occupation and subjugation of Vietnam, I guess it makes sense that the Vietnamese would want to customize the zodiac for their own land.

And by the way, not everyone who was born in 1963 is a Rabbit (or a Cat). Lunar new year (Tet) was on January 25, 1963, so Western Capricorns and Aquarians born before that date are Tigers. Imagine being a Tiger in a grade school class full of Rabbits!
Last edited by Anthony Barreiro on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:48 pm

If it was direct response to "Chinese occupation and subjugation" it would be a lot more different, don't you think? Unless you suppose they were just a little upset by such actions and decided that rabbits were out and cats were in.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:55 pm

geckzilla wrote:If it was direct response to "Chinese occupation and subjugation" it would be a lot more different, don't you think? Unless you suppose they were just a little upset by such actions and decided that rabbits were out and cats were in.
We're getting further from astronomy than I usually like to wander on the starship asterisk, but ... . The relationship between Vietnam and China is very complicated and ambivalent. A lot of learning came from China to Vietnam. Many people whose families have lived in Vietnam for many generations are ethnically Chinese.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.