NASA's NuSTAR Untangles Mystery of How Stars Explode

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:19 am

February 19, 2014

One of the biggest mysteries in astronomy, how stars blow up in supernova explosions, finally is being unraveled with the help of NASA's Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array (NuSTAR).

The high-energy X-ray observatory has created the first map of radioactive material in a supernova remnant. The results, from a remnant named Cassiopeia A (Cas A), reveal how shock waves likely rip apart massive dying stars.

"Stars are spherical balls of gas, and so you might think that when they end their lives and explode, that explosion would look like a uniform ball expanding out with great power," said Fiona Harrison, the principal investigator of NuSTAR at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena. "Our new results show how the explosion's heart, or engine, is distorted, possibly because the inner regions literally slosh around before detonating."

Harrison is a co-author of a paper about the results appearing in the Feb. 20 issue of Nature.*
More at:
JPL/NASA
*NATURE:Asymmetries in core-collapse supernovae from maps of radioactive 44Ti in Cassiopeia A

Below is the NASA ScienceCast YouTube video about NuSTAR:
Why Won't The Supernova Explode?

And this is some background info about supernovae from Chandra:
http://chandra.harvard.edu/xray_sources/supernovas.html
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: NASA's NuSTAR Untangles Mystery of How Stars Explode

Post by MargaritaMc » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:58 pm

There is an article in Sky and Telescope about this research. It includes a new video demonstrating the "sloshing-star scenario".

M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:29 am

Oh yeah, really cool video. I love these millisecond simulation animations. The whole thing occurs in under 1/6th of a second.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:51 am

... but take "millions of hours of computer time" to produce :!:
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:09 am

Quantum physics is hard even for super computers.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:01 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

AIP: New View of Supernova Death Throes

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:58 pm

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, because it isn't from the same team. But the research seems relevant to this thread, so... Here it is!
American Institute of Physics: New View of Supernova Death Throes

Newswise — WASHINGTON D.C., March 18, 2014 -- A powerful, new three-dimensional model provides fresh insight into the turbulent death throes of supernovas, whose final explosions outshine entire galaxies and populate the universe with elements that make life on Earth possible.
The model is the first to represent the start of a supernova collapse in three dimensions, said its developer, W. David Arnett, Regents Professor of Astrophysics at the University of Arizona, who developed the model with Casey Meakin and Nathan Smith at Arizona and Maxime Viallet of the Max-Planck Institut fur Astrophysik.
Described in the journal AIP Advances*, it shows how the turbulent mixing of elements inside stars causes them to expand, contract, and spit out matter before they finally detonate.
*Chaos and turbulent nucleosynthesis prior to a supernova explosion
W. D. Arnett, C. Meakin, and M. Viallet