APOD: Globules in the Running Chicken Nebula (2014 Mar 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Re: APOD: Globules in the Running Chicken Nebula (2014 Mar 0

Post by Nitpicker » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:13 am

neufer wrote:
Ann wrote:
You can see the Running Chicken Nebula here...
It seems that every second nebula has many different interpretations of its nickname in its clouds, and everyone thinks their version is the real one. Chicken, eggs, Bok, Bok, Bok!

Bah! Can't you all see it's centaur poop?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:22 am

I don't see anything in any of these versions of the nebula other than stars, nebula, and the actual objects themselves. It's kind of making me feel imagination-deficient. Maybe a frog's deformed foot in the picture Ann posted...
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

CURRAHEE CHRIS
Science Officer

Post by CURRAHEE CHRIS » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:22 pm

Ann wrote:
CURRAHEE CHRIS wrote:Very inspiring picture and captivating but I just dont see a running chicken when I look at the picture :( I really dont see anything I can easily describe.
You can see the Running Chicken Nebula here.

The round head of the chicken is at upper right. The chicken is looking down, and its open bill is pointing down. The chicken has got an eye in the middle of its head.

One clumsy Donald Duck foot is protruding to the lower right. The other foot is missing.

At upper center is what looks like one raised wing, as if the chicken was flapping its wings as it is running. Above the chicken's head is what might be the the other wing.

The rest of the nebula is the chicken's round, well-fed body.

The bright star in the middle of the chicken's body is Lambda Centauri. This is a foreground star, not part of the cluster that ionizes the nebula.

The full Running Chicken Nebula is quite big. Today's APOD is a small part of the full nebula. Take a look at this picture. The bright star at upper right is Lambda Centauri. Tody's APOD is centered on the small group in the middle of the picture that I just gave you a link to. Note the small Bok globules floating around there.

Finally, take a look at this APOD from 2010. The Running Chicken Nebula is at lower left, and it appears to be "chasing" the large Carina Nebula at upper right.

Ann
Thank you for that Ann!! I see it now. your explanation is spot on.

BillBixby
Science Officer

Post by BillBixby » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:25 pm

I agree with Currahee. My imagination was not working, so thank you, Ann. I would, also, like to thank Nitpicker for not going into detail in explaining his sighting of the Centaur poop.
CURRAHEE CHRIS wrote:
Ann wrote:
CURRAHEE CHRIS wrote:Very inspiring picture and captivating but I just dont see a running chicken when I look at the picture :( I really dont see anything I can easily describe.
You can see the Running Chicken Nebula here.

The round head of the chicken is at upper right. The chicken is looking down, and its open bill is pointing down. The chicken has got an eye in the middle of its head.

One clumsy Donald Duck foot is protruding to the lower right. The other foot is missing.

At upper center is what looks like one raised wing, as if the chicken was flapping its wings as it is running. Above the chicken's head is what might be the the other wing.

The rest of the nebula is the chicken's round, well-fed body.

The bright star in the middle of the chicken's body is Lambda Centauri. This is a foreground star, not part of the cluster that ionizes the nebula.

The full Running Chicken Nebula is quite big. Today's APOD is a small part of the full nebula. Take a look at this picture. The bright star at upper right is Lambda Centauri. Tody's APOD is centered on the small group in the middle of the picture that I just gave you a link to. Note the small Bok globules floating around there.

Finally, take a look at this APOD from 2010. The Running Chicken Nebula is at lower left, and it appears to be "chasing" the large Carina Nebula at upper right.

Ann
Thank you for that Ann!! I see it now. your explanation is spot on.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:16 pm

CURRAHEE CHRIS and Bill Bixby, I'm glad you appreciated my explanation! :D

Ann
Color Commentator