APOD: Orion Nebula in Surrounding Dust (2014 Mar 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Orion Nebula in Surrounding Dust (2014 Mar 25)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:10 am

Image Orion Nebula in Surrounding Dust

Explanation: What surrounds a hotbed of star formation? In the case of the Orion Nebula -- dust. The entire Orion field, located about 1600 light years away, is inundated with intricate and picturesque filaments of dust. Opaque to visible light, dust is created in the outer atmosphere of massive cool stars and expelled by a strong outer wind of particles. The Trapezium and other forming star clusters are embedded in the nebula. The intricate filaments of dust surrounding M42 and M43 appear gray in the above image, while central glowing gas is highlighted in brown and blue. Over the next few million years much of Orion's dust will be slowly destroyed by the very stars now being formed, or dispersed into the Galaxy.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Re: APOD: Orion Nebula in Surrounding Dust (2014 Mar 25)

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:15 am

I like the colors used for processing in this image; somewhat different than what we've seen before, IMO.
Nice.

8-)
Forget the box, just get outside.

CURRAHEE CHRIS
Science Officer

Post by CURRAHEE CHRIS » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:42 pm

WOW!! That is one beautiful picture. One of my favorites for 2014.

Wonder how much glade or endust would be required to clear all that dust??? :lol2: :lol2:

FloridaMike
Science Officer

Post by FloridaMike » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Another beautiful image, thank you Robert Fields. It sort of brings you toe to toe with the vastness of it all.
CURRAHEE CHRIS wrote:...Wonder how much glade or endust would be required to clear all that dust??? :lol2: :lol2:
There must have been one heck of an environmental impact study to gain approval for releasing this much dust. :wink:
Certainty is an emotion. So follow your spindle neurons.

GrinfilledCelt

Post by GrinfilledCelt » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:07 pm

CURRAHEE CHRIS wrote:WOW!! That is one beautiful picture. One of my favorites for 2014.

Wonder how much glade or endust would be required to clear all that dust??? :lol2: :lol2:
If seven maids with seven mops
Swept it for half a year,
Do you suppose,' the Walrus said,
That they could get it clear?'
I doubt it,' said the Carpenter,
And shed a bitter tear.

I have a question. Whenever I see a picture of the entire Orion Nebula I am completely unable to pick out the Orion constellation. Does the nebula only take up a small part of the constellation?

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:19 pm

The Orion Nebula itself as pictured is mainly M42 & M43, (M43 is the smaller central Dust Bar) and is part of the Dagger hanging below the Belt Stars.
In this APOD http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap070125.html you can see the belt stars from top left of center traveling down toward the middle of the image with the "Flame Nebula" just left of the bottom belt star and the "Horse Head" to the right. The bright region to the right of center is M42 & M43 part of the dagger
This APOD shows the entire Orion Complex less his shield (bow) http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap101023.html

dmullins@lcogt.net

Post by dmullins@lcogt.net » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:35 pm

What, exactly, is meant by, "much of Orion's dust will be slowly destroyed by the very stars now being formed?" Are you saying it will coalesce or be gravitationally pulled into new, forming stars?

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Good. Thank you, BMAONE23. Now I know where the nebula, which I can't see, is in relation to the constellation, which I can. =0)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:17 pm

dmullins@lcogt.net wrote:What, exactly, is meant by, "much of Orion's dust will be slowly destroyed by the very stars now being formed?" Are you saying it will coalesce or be gravitationally pulled into new, forming stars?
Dust is broken down into smaller particles by charged particles and ultraviolet (and shorter) radiation.

Some dust ends up in new stars, broken down to constituent atoms. Some dust gets blasted into atoms or molecules by the energy of local stars. Some dust gets broken into smaller dust. Most probably just gets blown away and dissipates.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
dmullins@lcogt.net wrote:What, exactly, is meant by, "much of Orion's dust will be slowly destroyed by the very stars now being formed?" Are you saying it will coalesce or be gravitationally pulled into new, forming stars?
Dust is broken down into smaller particles by charged particles and ultraviolet (and shorter) radiation.

Some dust ends up in new stars, broken down to constituent atoms. Some dust gets blasted into atoms or molecules by the energy of local stars. Some dust gets broken into smaller dust. Most probably just gets blown away and dissipates.
Is it likely that this has occurred in the areas devoid of nebulosity in the photo? For example – just to the left of the blue area in this beautifully enhanced image. Very nice job Robert!!
Make Mars not Wars

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:06 pm

Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:Dust is broken down into smaller particles by charged particles and ultraviolet (and shorter) radiation.

Is it likely that this has occurred in the areas devoid of nebulosity in the photo? For example – just to the left of the blue area in this beautifully enhanced image. Very nice job Robert!!
I think that most of the dust that isn't close to intense stars will just be blown away, not broken down. And eventually come together (with other dust) and start the process over.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:22 pm

Guest wrote:Good. Thank you, BMAONE23. Now I know where the nebula, which I can't see, is in relation to the constellation, which I can. =0)
Actually you can see the Orion nebula in a reasonably dark sky. To the unaided eye the middle "star" in Orion's sword looks fuzzy, rather than being a sharp point of light. Through binoculars that fuzziness looks like a little cloud. That's the Orion nebula.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Probably my favorite place. The colors here are not the usual ones you see. Did not realize it was THIS dusty.

Is that a Brontosaurus in the Center....It usually looks like "Spawn" in other close up photos...

Nice Wide Field, and another interesting look at a fascinating place....

:---[===] *

LocalColor
Science Officer

Post by LocalColor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:16 am

Very nice - really enhances the dust. Wish there was more info about the "how" this image was created.

Thank you APOD for another beautiful image.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:17 pm

I would be grateful if someone could please tell me where the Trapezium is in the image. I'm also confused as to which part is M43, as from a link in the explanation I thought it will be the orange coloured area on the left (it has 3 bright stars in it on its right) but one post here states "M43 is the smaller central Dust Bar" which is therefore not a bright area. An annotated version of the image would have been very helpful.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:34 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:I would be grateful if someone could please tell me where the Trapezium is in the image. I'm also confused as to which part is M43, as from a link in the explanation I thought it will be the orange coloured area on the left (it has 3 bright stars in it on its right) but one post here states "M43 is the smaller central Dust Bar" which is therefore not a bright area. An annotated version of the image would have been very helpful.
trap.jpg
The arrow identifies the Trapezium. At the scale of the image, it's not really resolved well, although you can tell it's not a single star. The crop encompasses just the nebulosity associated with M42.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:33 pm

Thanks Chris for your reply. As the explanation to the APOD mentions the Trapezium I assumed that it would be a very obvious feature in the APOD image.

You have been extremely helpful to me in recent queries of mine for which I am very grateful. :D

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:11 am

I don't know how to annotate pictures, but maybe this picture will help you identify M43. In the APOD, M43 is the small roundish orange nebula immediately to the left of the Trapezium. The orange nebula with three bright stars in it is the Running Man Nebula.

Ann
Color Commentator

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:19 am

Thank you Ann. That is very helpful. :)

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:20 pm

This image isn't 100% exact, some of the parts in the surrounding grey area are actually ionized gas, for example the Herbig Haro objects near NGC 1999 near the right edge.