APOD: Stripping ESO 137 001 (2014 Mar 28)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Re: APOD: Stripping ESO 137 001 (2014 Mar 28)

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:17 pm

Looks to me like the first direct evidence of the proposed 'Big Rip" at least for this particular galaxy.

HERE LIES
ESO 137 001
left us in a
BLAZE of GLORY
May She R.I.P.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:42 pm

Guest wrote:Maybe you missed the point... With all due respect to the conservation of momentum and various forms of mechanics ( linear & angular/rotational, & perhaps fluid as viewed on a macro scale) and with apologies to Newton et al; some parent body blasted out an entire galaxy, more in the manner of a shotgun blast rather than in the manner of a fire hose.
I don't think I missed anything. A galaxy can be ejected fairly intact from a cluster without leaving much of a trail, and without leaving any obvious disruption in that cluster. Unless this galaxy was ejected recently, finding where it came from is likely to be difficult to impossible, and any suggestions probably untestable. And if this current velocity is a remnant of the velocity of the primordial material from which the galaxy formed, we're even less likely to draw any useful conclusions about its origin.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

FLPhotoCatcher
Science Officer

Post by FLPhotoCatcher » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Even though the tail is just as thick or thicker farther from the galaxy (ESO 137-001), there are no visible star clusters at those farther distances. Could that be because the material first stripped out of ESO 137-001 was almost 100% hydrogen, and contained almost no dust? The ram pressure would have been weaker early-on because of the cluster's tenuous intracluster medium would have been even more tenuous. Thus, the heavier material (dust) would have been slower to be pushed out of ESO 137-001. Inertia could also have enhanced the differentiation of particles.

dmullins@lcogt.net

Post by dmullins@lcogt.net » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:53 pm

The Jelly-fish Galaxy?

LocalColor
Science Officer

Post by LocalColor » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:38 pm

Oh my - it looks like a giant flying saucer! Lovely combo from Hubble/Chandra.

Craig Willford

Post by Craig Willford » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:06 pm

On the issue of a galaxy bearing a classic spiral form and yet having high speed relative to a galactic cluster, I find no disparity in the two concepts. The galaxy could merely have fallen toward (and then through) the cluster from great "height" (relative to the center of gravity of the cluster). This would not be greatly different from a proto-comet falling from the Oort cloud toward the sun. The comet's structure would be intact as it is accelerated because there would be nearly no tidal differences on the near side or far side at such great distances from the center of gravity to which it is accelerating. Ditto the galaxy to the cluster.

I want to raise an issue though. The presumptively super-hot, X-ray emitting gas trailing down and to the right in the photo would have been radiating heat by the black body radiation method for quite some long time. Wouldn't it have cooled by now? Shouldn't it be radiating at a much cooler temperature by now? Or is there some other mechanism by which it is putting out X-rays?

Sincerely,

Craig Willford

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Craig Willford wrote:I want to raise an issue though. The presumptively super-hot, X-ray emitting gas trailing down and to the right in the photo would have been radiating heat by the black body radiation method for quite some long time. Wouldn't it have cooled by now? Shouldn't it be radiating at a much cooler temperature by now? Or is there some other mechanism by which it is putting out X-rays?
The radiating gas is a mix of the cold interstellar medium and hot intracluster medium. It is too tenuous by many, many orders of magnitude to produce black body radiation. The ICM is heating the stripped ISM, which is producing x-rays.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:46 am

The Intergalactic Medium, I guess of other gas and dust, must be denser over there to strip off so much dust and gas, and to do it verses the gravity of a galaxy...One would presume that given relative speeds, and movements with in a Cluster, they would be more uniform, and not have such an effect.

This galaxy, and cluster, are headed toward The Great Attractor area...I wonder if that is adding to speed? It is also falling toward the center of Abell 3627...the cluster of which it is in.

hhhhmmmmm....a Galaxy...that acts like a Comet...." A Comet Galaxy" ?????

I could not find many pictures of this area...it seems to be in a hard area to photograph.

DO....OTHER....galaxies in this group do a similar thing????

:---[===] *

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:45 pm

I’m a bit surprised that nobody has linked to it yet, but this “Runaway Galaxy” was being discussed in one of the backroom’s here back on March 4-6. Here’s the link:

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=33036

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:22 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:I’m a bit surprised that nobody has linked to it yet, but this “Runaway Galaxy” was being discussed in one of the backroom’s here back on March 4-6. Here’s the link:

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=33036

Bruce
Actually, Bruce, a link was made to it in this post http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 99#p222921

:D Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS