APOD: Southern Annular Eclipse (2014 Apr 26)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 3571
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Southern Annular Eclipse (2014 Apr 26)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:10 am

Image Southern Annular Eclipse

Explanation: It's eclipse season, and on April 29 around 06:00 UT the shadow of the new Moon will reach out and touch planet Earth, though only just. Still, if you're standing on the continent of Antarctica within a few hundred kilometers of 79 degrees 38.7 minutes South latitude and 131 degrees 15.6 minutes East longitude you could see an annular solar eclipse with the Sun just above the horizon. Because the Moon will be approaching apogee, the most distant point in the elliptical lunar orbit, its apparent size will be too small to completely cover the solar disk. A rare, off-center eclipse, the annular phase will last at most 49 seconds. At its maximum it could look something like this "ring of fire" image from last May's annular solar eclipse, captured by a webcast team operating near Coen, Australia. Otherwise, a partial eclipse with the Moon covering at least some part of the Sun will be seen across a much broader region in the southern hemipshere, including Australia in the afternoon.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
Posts: 1983
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am
AKA: Bruce
Location: East Idaho

Re: APOD: Southern Annular Eclipse (2014 Apr 26)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:52 am

Well, at least many penquins and a Nitpicker will get to see it. :lol2:
"Happy are the peaceable ... "

User avatar
Nitpicker
Inverse Square
Posts: 2689
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:39 am
Location: S27 E153

Re: APOD: Southern Annular Eclipse (2014 Apr 26)

Post by Nitpicker » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:41 am

I'll be lucky to see much of it from Brisbane. Further south and/or west seem like the better places in Oz.

[magical thinking] Regardless, I've learnt to express indifference for upcoming celestial events, as enthusiasm seems to attract inclement weather. [/magical thinking]

In case anyone is planning to observe from Antarctica, I just checked in Stellarium and the location given in the APOD caption: "79 degrees 38.7 minutes South latitude and 131 degrees 15.6 minutes East longitude", seems too far south for the Sun to be above the horizon. Better to be on the Antarctic coast, directly south of Perth, say.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2507
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: Southern Annular Eclipse (2014 Apr 26)

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:49 am

Awesome!!!


:---[===] *

User avatar
LocalColor
Science Officer
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:11 pm
Location: Central Idaho, USA

Re: APOD: Southern Annular Eclipse (2014 Apr 26)

Post by LocalColor » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:55 pm

Nitpicker wrote:[magical thinking] Regardless, I've learnt to express indifference for upcoming celestial events, as enthusiasm seems to attract inclement weather. [/magical thinking]
We have found that the more you plan and prepare for an event the more likely the weather will not cooperate.

Beautiful photo today as always APOD.

User avatar
Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: San Francisco, California, Turtle Island

Re: APOD: Southern Annular Eclipse (2014 Apr 26)

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:00 pm

LocalColor wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:[magical thinking] Regardless, I've learnt to express indifference for upcoming celestial events, as enthusiasm seems to attract inclement weather. [/magical thinking]
We have found that the more you plan and prepare for an event the more likely the weather will not cooperate.

Beautiful photo today as always APOD.
I just hope for the best, make reasonable preparations and contingency plans, and try to appreciate whatever comes my way. Clouds can be interesting. A hot cup of tea and the company of friends are always consolations.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

User avatar
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Re: APOD: Southern Annular Eclipse (2014 Apr 26)

Post by DavidLeodis » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:18 pm

Currently at least this APOD is dated 2014 April 25 when it should be 2014 April 26. I thought I would mention this but I apologise if I should have directly contacted someone, but I was unsure who so I thought I would mention it in this discussion about this APOD.

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8964
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Southern Annular Eclipse (2014 Apr 26)

Post by geckzilla » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:47 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:Currently at least this APOD is dated 2014 April 25 when it should be 2014 April 26. I thought I would mention this but I apologise if I should have directly contacted someone, but I was unsure who so I thought I would mention it in this discussion about this APOD.
I mailed them for you.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Re: APOD: Southern Annular Eclipse (2014 Apr 26)

Post by DavidLeodis » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:06 pm

geckzilla wrote:
DavidLeodis wrote:Currently at least this APOD is dated 2014 April 25 when it should be 2014 April 26. I thought I would mention this but I apologise if I should have directly contacted someone, but I was unsure who so I thought I would mention it in this discussion about this APOD.
I mailed them for you.
Thanks geckzilla. :)

User avatar
Nitpicker
Inverse Square
Posts: 2689
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:39 am
Location: S27 E153

Re: APOD: Southern Annular Eclipse (2014 Apr 26)

Post by Nitpicker » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:21 am

Here are the best pics I could manage of today's eclipse, taken from my backyard in Brisbane, during a cloudy sunset:
20140429_1642+10.jpg
20140429_1648+10.jpg
20140429_1657+10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
owlice
Guardian of the Codes
Posts: 8351
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: APOD: Southern Annular Eclipse (2014 Apr 26)

Post by owlice » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:49 pm

Nice, Nitpicker; thanks for sharing them!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

User avatar
Nitpicker
Inverse Square
Posts: 2689
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:39 am
Location: S27 E153

Re: APOD: Southern Annular Eclipse (2014 Apr 26)

Post by Nitpicker » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:06 am

You might notice there appears to be a gap in the clouds between my 2nd and 3rd images, above. It was during this optimal time, that I attached a solar filter to my 300mm lens. I got a few shots with the filter, and they would have been fantastic, too, but whilst I was faffing around getting the exposure just right, I failed to notice that I'd lost sharp focus. (I would starve if I became a professional photographer.) Still, this one has a certain aesthetic appeal ... maybe:
20140429_1655+10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.