APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4787
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:09 am

Image M106 Across the Spectrum

Explanation: The spiral arms of bright, active galaxy M106 sprawl through this remarkable multiwavelength portrait, composed of image data from radio to X-rays, across the electromagnetic spectrum. Also known as NGC 4258, M106 can be found toward the northern constellation Canes Venatici. The well-measured distance to M106 is 23.5 million light-years, making this cosmic scene about 60,000 light-years across. Typical in grand spiral galaxies, dark dust lanes, youthful star clusters, and star forming regions trace spiral arms that converge on a bright nucleus. But this composite highlights two anomalous arms in radio (purple) and X-ray (blue) that seem to arise in the central region of M106, evidence of energetic jets of material blasting into the galaxy's disk. The jets are likely powered by matter falling into a massive central black hole.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9173
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by geckzilla » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:55 am

Times like this I wish all the telescopes had the same resolving power Hubble has (or better!). It's easy to get confused by the blurry appearance of the radio and x-ray data. Point sources become giant fuzzballs and of course all small details are also fuzzy. Those jets are every bit as detailed as the rest of the galaxy but we don't have the "eyes" to make them out clearly.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

HellCat
Ensign
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:30 am
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA (Zulu -5)

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by HellCat » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:16 am

Direct picture link gets a 404:

Not Found
The requested URL /apod/image/1407/m106_lg2048jpg was not found on this server.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by neufer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:32 am

geckzilla wrote:
Times like this I wish all the telescopes had the same resolving power Hubble has (or better!). It's easy to get confused by the blurry appearance of the radio and x-ray data. Point sources become giant fuzzballs and of course all small details are also fuzzy. Those jets are every bit as detailed as the rest of the galaxy but we don't have the "eyes" to make them out clearly.
  • Hubble angular resolution: ~50 milliarcseconds

Code: Select all

European Very Long Baseline Array resolution

Wavelength        Angular resolution

   18.0 cm        5.0   milliarcseconds
    6.0 cm        1.5   milliarcseconds
    3.6 cm        1.0   milliarcseconds
    1.3 cm        0.3   milliarcseconds
    0.7 cm        0.15  milliarcseconds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_VLBI_Network wrote:
<<The European VLBI Network (EVN) was formed in 1980 by a consortium of five of the major radio astronomy institutes in Europe (the European Consortium for VLBI). Since 1980, the EVN and the Consortium has grown to include 9 institutes with 12 radio telescopes in 8 western European countries as well as associated institutes with telescopes in Italy, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, China and South Africa.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Jypy

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by Jypy » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:36 am

HellCat wrote:Direct picture link gets a 404:

Not Found
The requested URL /apod/image/1407/m106_lg2048jpg was not found on this server.
Yes, because the dot before 'jpg' is missing, but you can see the picture if you add it back in the browser's address box.

User avatar
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23
Posts: 4076
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:09 pm

neufer wrote:
geckzilla wrote:
Times like this I wish all the telescopes had the same resolving power Hubble has (or better!). It's easy to get confused by the blurry appearance of the radio and x-ray data. Point sources become giant fuzzballs and of course all small details are also fuzzy. Those jets are every bit as detailed as the rest of the galaxy but we don't have the "eyes" to make them out clearly.
  • Hubble angular resolution: ~50 milliarcseconds

Code: Select all

European Very Long Baseline Array resolution

Wavelength        Angular resolution

   18.0 cm        5.0   milliarcseconds
    6.0 cm        1.5   milliarcseconds
    3.6 cm        1.0   milliarcseconds
    1.3 cm        0.3   milliarcseconds
    0.7 cm        0.15  milliarcseconds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_VLBI_Network wrote:
<<The European VLBI Network (EVN) was formed in 1980 by a consortium of five of the major radio astronomy institutes in Europe (the European Consortium for VLBI). Since 1980, the EVN and the Consortium has grown to include 9 institutes with 12 radio telescopes in 8 western European
countries as well as associated institutes with telescopes in Italy, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, China and
South Africa.>>
But it wouldn't fit in Geck's backyard

User avatar
LocalColor
Science Officer
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:11 pm
Location: Central Idaho, USA

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by LocalColor » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:53 pm

Wonderful image showing us more than our human eyes can see.

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9173
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by geckzilla » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:55 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:But it wouldn't fit in Geck's backyard
If I had a backyard big enough to fit a telescope array you wouldn't see me wasting away in front of this computer so much. Anyway, with Art's example you can see how big a difference resolution makes. The low resolution image can give the false impression that certain structures are very large and thick when it's more like a diffuse mist with knots here and there just like the rest of the galaxy.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16933
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:13 pm

geckzilla wrote:If I had a backyard big enough to fit a telescope array you wouldn't see me wasting away in front of this computer so much.
Unless you actually wanted to use the telescope array, since the data from such arrays is only collectible and analyzable using your computer...
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Random

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by Random » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:18 pm

HellCat wrote:Direct picture link gets a 404:

Not Found
The requested URL /apod/image/1407/m106_lg2048jpg was not found on this server.
There's a period missing from the link before the JPG at the end.

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9173
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by geckzilla » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:26 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:Unless you actually wanted to use the telescope array, since the data from such arrays is only collectible and analyzable using your computer...
I was assuming there wasn't an array occupying the backyard. If there was one and I knew how to use it, I have no idea what I would do! This hypothetical me must be swimming in money so I could possibly just hire some other astronomers to figure that out for me while I go outside.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

zbvhs
Science Officer
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:57 am
Location: Frederick, MD

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by zbvhs » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:30 pm

How are the anomalous arms oriented? In the disk plane or normal to it?
Virgil H. Soule

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by neufer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:42 pm

zbvhs wrote:
How are the anomalous arms oriented? In the disk plane or normal to it?
Probably: normal to the central black hole equator/accretion disk.
Art Neuendorffer

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:24 pm

Very interesting, I would think, from other examples of CMBHs that the jets would be out the "TOP and Bottom" of all galaxies...evidently not so....these jets, or ejected energy, goes out into the galactic disk...and makes..."ARMS"....intriguing... is this CMBH...on its SIDE????????


:---[===] *

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16933
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:34 pm

Boomer12k wrote:Very interesting, I would think, from other examples of CMBHs that the jets would be out the "TOP and Bottom" of all galaxies...evidently not so....these jets, or ejected energy, goes out into the galactic disk...and makes..."ARMS"....intriguing... is this CMBH...on its SIDE????????
SMBH? MCBH?

I can't think of any reason that a central BH has to be aligned with its rotation axis normal to the galactic plane. After all, the stars in the central bulge aren't orbiting along the galactic plane. Certainly, I can think of reasons associated with galaxy formation why central BH's might be more likely to have their rotation normal to the plane, but there are all sorts of opportunities for perturbation that could alter that over the evolution of a galaxy.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

stargene1

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by stargene1 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:47 pm

Maaaaan... when Type IV civilizations celebrate their 4th of July, they really go all out! :-)
:)

User avatar
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by DavidLeodis » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:25 pm

In the explanation it states the image is "about 60,000 light-years across". In information about the image in the Chandra X-ray Center release (brought up through the "remarkable multiwavelength portrait link") it states the image "is about 6.6 arcmin across (about 44,000 light years)". I appreciate that such distances may not be exact but it does seem odd that there is the difference in the distances given that, as would seem likely, the explanation may have used information in the CXC release.

NGC3314
Telescope Nerd
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by NGC3314 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:52 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: I can't think of any reason that a central BH has to be aligned with its rotation axis normal to the galactic plane.
In fact, the statistics of radio jets in Seyfert galaxies (mostly spirals,whose radio jets are seldom more than a few thousand light-years in length) are consistent with the axis of the active nucleus lying at random angles to the plane of the surrounding galaxies. It may be that the handful of spirals with giant radio jets are assisted by happening to have them emerge near the poles of the galaxy, so there is a minimum of interstellar gas to disrupt them along the way.

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer
Posts: 4878
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: APOD: M106 Across the Spectrum (2014 Jul 05)

Post by starsurfer » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:06 pm

The two jets are also represented optically by Ha jets. One of the very few images to show them is this one by Jay GaBany.