CfA: Sonograms of Young Stars

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

CfA: Sonograms of Young Stars

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:14 pm

The paper referred to in this Science Update from the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory was published online in Science in July this year, but I missed it and I don't think that it got posted here. I can't find it anyway if it was!

To me this seems a fascinating piece of work, using asteroseismology to look at baby stars.
http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/su201435

Sonograms of Young Stars
Friday, August 29, 2014

Science Update - A look at CfA discoveries from recent journals

The evolution of a star depends crucially on its initial birth mass and composition, and developments in its early lifetime. These initial properties determine, for example, the production of the chemical elements forged later on in the star's nuclear furnace, and its early angular momentum affects the subsequent distribution of its internal energy. Astronomers are therefore working to understand the physical processes underway in the very earliest stages of a star’s life after a dense clump of interstellar matter has contracted, warmed, and begun the stellar gestation processes.

In the early stages of a star's life, its central temperature and density are not yet high enough to initiate significant nuclear burning; its energy comes from the release of gravitational energy, and it circulates via gas motions. As the internal temperatures rise and the hot gas becomes more transparent, this internal energy begins to redistribute itself through radiation as well through gas motions. Then, as these and related processes compete for primacy, the star starts to vibrate slightly, an effect which can be observed as periodic variations in the star's surface through the luminosity and temperature. In some young stars it is possible to use "asteroseismology" – the measurement of these acoustic patterns - to explore the star’s structure and evolution. ...

"Echography of Young Stars Reveals Their Evolution," K. Zwintz, L. Fossati, T. Ryabchikova, D. Guenther, C. Aerts, T. G. Barnes, N., Themes, D. Lorenz, C. Cameron, R. Kuschnig, S. Pollack-Drs, E. Moravveji, A. Baglin, J., M. Matthews, A. F. J. Moffat1, E. Poretti, M. Rainer, S. M. Rucinski, D. Sasselov, W. W. Weiss, Science, 345, 550, 2014.
Science 1 August 2014:

Vol. 345 no. 6196 pp. 550-553

DOI: 10.1126/science.1253645
Echography of young stars reveals their evolution
Editor's summary

A finger on the pulse of young stars

Adolescent stars quiver and quake before the onset of nuclear fusion in their cores. Zwintz et al. confirm theoretical predictions that the frequency of the seismic oscillations in a given star is tied to its evolutionary status (see the Perspective by Stahler and Palla)*. As the protostar evolves and contracts, growing hotter and denser, it pulsates faster. Though previously applied only to aging stars, asteroseismology now offers a powerful tool for discerning the ages of very young stars. The relative timing of star formation within young clusters especially benefits from this refinement, as stars there are often tagged with one blanket age.
ArXiv preprint available here: http://arxiv.org/abs/1407.4928

*Science Perspective by Stahler and Palla The beat of young stars http://m.sciencemag.org/content/345/6196/514.summary

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS