APOD: Eclipse at Moonrise (2014 Oct 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Eclipse at Moonrise (2014 Oct 11)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:06 am

Image Eclipse at Moonrise

Explanation: As the Moon rose and the Sun set on October 8, a lunar eclipse was in progress seen from Chongqing, China. Trailing through this composite time exposure, the rising Moon began as a dark reddened disk in total eclipse near the eastern horizon. Steadily climbing above the populous city's colorful lights along the Yangtze River, the moontrail grows brighter and broader, until a bright Full Moon emerged from the Earth's shadow in evening skies. Although lunar eclipses are not always total ones, this eclipse, along with last April's lunar eclipse, were the first two of four consecutive total lunar eclipses, a series known as a tetrad. The final two eclipses of this tetrad will occur in early April and late September 2015.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Re: APOD: Eclipse at Moonrise (2014 Oct 11)

Post by JohnD » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:56 am

Is it the exposure or China's City Smog, that mean no stars are seen?
John

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:53 am

John, you forgot to mention light pollution! At 300% magnification, i see contrails and light fuzzy little circles near the top of the screen, where it's the darkest and i use the term 'darkest' very lightly. :wink:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:54 pm

JohnD wrote:Is it the exposure or China's City Smog, that mean no stars are seen?
Gases and particulate matter (pollution) + excessive moisture in the air (perhaps pollution) + extreme light (pollution) = beauty, of a sort.

Rob

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:00 pm

Ummmm.....nice and all that.....but a Video maybe next time? I thought this was a Fireball streak before I got to the caption.....

:---[===] *

Gardner Bailey

Post by Gardner Bailey » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:18 am

If the moon is rising, wouldn't that be the morning skies?

Joe Stieber
Science Officer

Post by Joe Stieber » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:24 am

Gardner Bailey wrote:If the moon is rising, wouldn't that be the morning skies?
If it's a lunar eclipse, it must be full moon, when the moon is opposite the sun in the sky. If it's morning, the sun would of course be rising, and therefore, the full moon being opposite the sun in the sky must be setting. Conversely, when a full moon is rising, the sun is setting, which would be evening.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:46 pm

It's a colourful interesting image. :)

While looking up some information about the lunar eclipse on October 8 2014 I learnt something new! :P. In the information it stated "Many areas of North America experienced a selenelion, able to see both the sun and the eclipsed moon at the same time". I then found more information in which it stated "A selenelion or selenehelion occurs when both the Sun and the eclipsed Moon can be observed at the same time. This can only happen just before sunset or just after sunrise, and both bodies will appear just above the horizon at nearly opposite points in the sky. This arrangement has led to the phenomenon being referred to as a horizontal eclipse. There are typically a number of high ridges undergoing sunrise or sunset that can see it". Though probably already well known to most APOD Forum contributors a selenelion/selenehelion was new to me, so I thought it may be of interest to anyone that had also not heard of it.