APOD: Mysterious Changing feature on Titan (2014 Oct 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Strangerbarry

Re: APOD: Mysterious Changing feature on Titan (2014 Oct 15)

Post by Strangerbarry » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:20 pm

I'm thinking there could be a complex mixture of hydrocarbons in these lakes, including some higher molecular weight and branched chain molecules that are solid at the temperatures on Titan. If so, there may be dynamic and localized regions of frozen materials, the hydrocarbon equivalent of iceburgs. If temperature fluctuates then so too might they. In the picture here it looks to me like a region of solid material formed and then is slowly sinking. Raises the question as well about what the vertical termperature profile is of these hydrocarbon lakes, if they're warmer at depth then sinking solid hydrocarbon material might melt, rise to the surface through mixing, and feed more solid-formation closer to the surface. In looking at the pictures, it looks like it's not just the highlighted area that's changing, there appear to a lot of other more subtle changes taking place.

Startreader
Ensign

Post by Startreader » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:55 pm

Ann wrote:
Startreader wrote:
I say "man" not to be sexist but because most crane drives are male and "man" would include aliens.
Hey, I have no problem with your assumption that a crane driver would usually be a man, but... aren't there female aliens?

As Mr Spock once said, It is a well-known fact that we Vulcans propagate our race by mail. :wink:

Ann

"Man" means a male member of the dominant semi-intelligent species on Terra. It also means a unit of any tool-using, intelligent species, for example a Puppeteer, a Dalek or an ascended Ancient. In that sense, "man" includes the feminine, so using it to mean "an unspecified, general alien tool-user" was not gender specific. It is like using "whale" or "tree" or "worm". It is rather unfortunate that English can use the same word for the gender and the species but it does give us the opportunity for fun with words.

On the subject of "Vulcans", I would prefer those did not propagate. They are one of the stupidest aliens ever invented, collectively and as represented by individuals. Only the Klingons surpass them in sheer idiocy. Vulcans are also immoral and evil.

But if the thing on Titan is a huge guy in a construction machine perhaps we should try to communicate with it. Can we modulate Cassini's radars enough to make them useful as talk-radio?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:24 pm

Startreader wrote:"Man" means a male member of the dominant semi-intelligent species on Terra. It also means a unit of any tool-using, intelligent species, for example a Puppeteer, a Dalek or an ascended Ancient. In that sense, "man" includes the feminine, so using it to mean "an unspecified, general alien tool-user" was not gender specific. It is like using "whale" or "tree" or "worm". It is rather unfortunate that English can use the same word for the gender and the species but it does give us the opportunity for fun with words.
Both anthropocentric and sexist at the same time. Not trying very hard, are you?

I've personally never taken a phrase such as "All men are created equal" to include women. Clearly, the idea that "man" can include female humans was an afterthought on that one. Don't use a word ambiguously if you don't want people confused.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:43 pm

I didn't think that startreader was originally using "man" in place of "human", but it appears I was wrong. (I didn't know he was prejudiced against Vulcans, either.) I must have had my tin foil hat on too tightly.

Rothkko
Lieutenant

Post by Rothkko » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:45 pm

descenso de nivel más deshielo? (u otro proceso que deforme la superficie). Es más incongruente el lapso temporal. Las dos primeras fotografías (de izquierda a derecha) son consecuentes con ese descenso, con pocas diferencias (el islote en cuestión podría mostrarse muy distinto en función de que esté sumergido o no). La fotografía de la derecha sigue siendo consecuente con el descenso (si sumamos el deshielo), pero hay muchos cambios en la superficie. Se supone que el ángulo de la cámara es el mismo respecto a la luna. ¿Y esa línea que atraviesa de izquierda a derecha la superficie en la fotografía central, es un solape de fotografías?

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:12 pm

Rothkko wrote:descenso de nivel más deshielo? (u otro proceso que deforme la superficie). Es más incongruente el lapso temporal. Las dos primeras fotografías (de izquierda a derecha) son consecuentes con ese descenso, con pocas diferencias (el islote en cuestión podría mostrarse muy distinto en función de que esté sumergido o no). La fotografía de la derecha sigue siendo consecuente con el descenso (si sumamos el deshielo), pero hay muchos cambios en la superficie. Se supone que el ángulo de la cámara es el mismo respecto a la luna. ¿Y esa línea que atraviesa de izquierda a derecha la superficie en la fotografía central, es un solape de fotografías?
Per Google Translate
Google Translate wrote:melting drawdown more? (or other process that deforms the surface). It's incongruous temporary period. The first two photos (left to right) are consistent with this decline, with few differences (the island in question would show very different depending on whether it is submerged or not). The photograph on the right is still consistent with the decrease (if we add the thaw), but there are many changes on the surface. It is assumed that the camera angle is the same for the moon. And that line from left to right through the surface in the central photograph is an overlap of photographs?

Rothkko
Lieutenant

Post by Rothkko » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:41 pm

...Per Reverso Translation
Reverso Translation wrote:Level decrease more thaw? (Or another process that deforms the surface). The temporary space is more incongruous. The first two photographies (from left side to right) are consistent with this decrease, with few differences (the island in question might prove to be very different depending on that it is plunged or not). The photography of the right continues being consistent with the decrease (if we add the thaw), but there are many changes in the surface. It is supposed that the angle of the camera is the same with regard to the moon. And this line that crosses from left side to right the surface in the central photography, is one overlap of photographies?

ems57fcva
Ensign

Post by ems57fcva » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:19 pm

I think I will have what probably is the last word: The differences between pictures 1 and 3 can probably be chalked up to changing water levels and currents. However, the transient in picture 2 is another matter. Hopefully we will learn more about that over time.

In the meantime, it is neat to see another changeable world in this Solar System of ours.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:13 am

There is no liquid water on the surface of Titan.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor