APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
ta152h0
Schooled
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Auburn, Washington, USA

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by ta152h0 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:46 pm

and where did the gold come from ?
Wolf Kotenberg

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16818
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:28 pm

ta152h0 wrote:and where did the gold come from ?
Like all the heavy elements, gold is produced by nucleosynthesis in supernovas. Gold is very unreactive, so when the Earth was still molted it sunk into the core without forming mineral compounds. So the surface gold we have on Earth was probably introduced later by collisions with comets and asteroids.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
owlice
Guardian of the Codes
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by owlice » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:49 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
ta152h0 wrote:and where did the gold come from ?
Like all the heavy elements, gold is produced by nucleosynthesis in supernovas. Gold is very unreactive, so when the Earth was still molted it sunk into the core without forming mineral compounds. So the surface gold we have on Earth was probably introduced later by collisions with comets and asteroids.
sank! Sunk is the past participle!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16818
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:43 pm

owlice wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:Like all the heavy elements, gold is produced by nucleosynthesis in supernovas. Gold is very unreactive, so when the Earth was still molted it sunk into the core without forming mineral compounds. So the surface gold we have on Earth was probably introduced later by collisions with comets and asteroids.
sank! Sunk is the past participle!
Yes, Ms Grammar Nazi. Of course, in my quest to simplify and normalize English, what I really intended was "sinked".
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

ta152h0
Schooled
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Auburn, Washington, USA

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by ta152h0 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:22 pm

or as my former English teacher would have said " sunken ".......
Wolf Kotenberg

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16818
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:28 pm

ta152h0 wrote:or as my former English teacher would have said " sunken ".......
No, that's the future pluriciple. She should have said "sanken".
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
Posts: 2524
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am
AKA: Bruce
Location: East Idaho

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:40 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
ta152h0 wrote:and where did the gold come from ?
Like all the heavy elements, gold is produced by nucleosynthesis in supernovas. Gold is very unreactive, so when the Earth was still molted it sunk into the core without forming mineral compounds. So the surface gold we have on Earth was probably introduced later by collisions with comets and asteroids.
What I wonder is not when to use sunk sank or sink, but rather, when did the Earth molt? :lol2:

A fuzzy logic spell checker strikes again.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

User avatar
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by DavidLeodis » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 pm

I feel the need for some molt liquor :P (or at least a glass of :b:). :wink:

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by Beyond » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:08 pm

OUCH! This 'sharper' thread has turned into a 'cutting edge' use of inglash. 8-)
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16818
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:24 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:What I wonder is not when to use sunk sank or sink, but rather, when did the Earth molt?
I believe it was triggered by the Late Heavy Bombardment.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Nitpicker
Inverse Square
Posts: 2692
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:39 am
Location: S27 E153

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by Nitpicker » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:57 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
BDanielMayfield wrote:What I wonder is not when to use sunk sank or sink, but rather, when did the Earth molt?
I believe it was triggered by the Late Heavy Bombardment.
Not sure. I believe the Earth molted whilst partially molten, after Theia struck to form the Moon. This was a few hundred million years before the LHB. Of course, this theory might be sunk one day. (Re: "future pluriciple", mind your language please Chris! :ssmile: )

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
Posts: 2524
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am
AKA: Bruce
Location: East Idaho

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:23 am

Nitpicker wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
BDanielMayfield wrote:What I wonder is not when to use sunk sank or sink, but rather, when did the Earth molt?
I believe it was triggered by the Late Heavy Bombardment.
Not sure. I believe the Earth molted whilst partially molten, after Theia struck to form the Moon. This was a few hundred million years before the LHB. Of course, this theory might be sunk one day. (Re: "future pluriciple", mind your language please Chris! :ssmile: )
Since we're declaring personal beliefs ... (made moderators nervous, I bet) ... I believe that the evidence for a major protoplanetary collision as a cause for our Moon's existence is compelling; therefore I'm compelled to believe that this collision did occur.

Real question: since the energy released during this collision would have been enormous, and since the proto-Earth prior to the instant of the collision would have already been quite hot from prior impacts and the much higher radioactivity back then, wouldn't the Moon forming collision have melted the entire crust of proto-Earth?

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

User avatar
Nitpicker
Inverse Square
Posts: 2692
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:39 am
Location: S27 E153

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by Nitpicker » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:41 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:Since we're declaring personal beliefs ... (made moderators nervous, I bet) ... I believe that the evidence for a major protoplanetary collision as a cause for our Moon's existence is compelling; therefore I'm compelled to believe that this collision did occur.

Real question: since the energy released during this collision would have been enormous, and since the proto-Earth prior to the instant of the collision would have already been quite hot from prior impacts and the much higher radioactivity back then, wouldn't the Moon forming collision have melted the entire crust of proto-Earth?

Bruce
Personal beliefs are fine here, so long as they don't deviate too far from the mainstream scientific consensus, and are allowed to yield to new evidence.

To answer your real question, one would have to know what the proto-Earth was like before the collision, how much kinetic energy was converted into heat energy, and how that heat energy was transferred through what remained of the proto-Earth (after it molted shed some of its mass to help form the Moon). An enormous amount of energy is not guaranteed to be enormous enough.

User avatar
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23
Posts: 4076
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:05 pm

This thread has really gotten tense

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: Solar Flare from a Sharper Sun (2014 Nov 22)

Post by Beyond » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:37 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:This thread has really gotten tense
Past, present or future?
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.