APOD: Cometary Globule CG4 (2015 Mar 06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 3549
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Cometary Globule CG4 (2015 Mar 06)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:05 am

Image Cometary Globule CG4

Explanation: The faint and somehow menacing cometary globule CG4 reaches through the center of this deep southern skyscape. About 1,300 light-years from Earth toward the constellation Puppis, its head is about 1.5 light-years in diameter and its tail about 8 light-years long. That's far larger than the Solar System's comets that it seems to resemble. In fact, the dusty cloud contains enough material to form several Sun-like stars and likely has ongoing star formation within. How its distinctive form came about is still debated, but its long tail trails away from the Vela Supernova remnant near the center of the Gum Nebula, while its head could represent the rupture of an originally more spherical cloud. Still, the edge-on spiral galaxy also near picture center is not actually being threatened by CG4. The galaxy lies in the distant background more than 100 million light-years away.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

double_d

Re: APOD: Cometary Globule CG4 (2015 Mar 06)

Post by double_d » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:13 am

Does anyone else see the cometary globule as being the arm of the smiling pink ghost on the right side of the photo?

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: Cometary Globule CG4 (2015 Mar 06)

Post by Beyond » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:22 am

Well how about that. On the top right, is the other arm.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Bric

Re: APOD: Cometary Globule CG4 (2015 Mar 06)

Post by Bric » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:46 am

It may not be reaching for the galaxy because it's trying to grab the pretty pearl necklace beside it.

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer
Posts: 3528
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: APOD: Cometary Globule CG4 (2015 Mar 06)

Post by starsurfer » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:26 am

This a glorious and mysterious region of the southern sky and it is especially rare as there are greenish colours in a deep sky object! The pinkish brown dust cloud near the bottom right corner is catalogued as Sandqvist 101 while the smaller cometary globule CG 6 is above it.

Also I perceive CG 4 as wanting to hug the galaxy!

This wider view by Tom Davis also shows the large open cluster Melotte 66 and the spiral galaxy NGC 2427.

This is in fact a very timely APOD as the CEDIC conference starts today in Austria! :D

oh well

Re: APOD: Cometary Globule CG4 (2015 Mar 06)

Post by oh well » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:28 pm

Cute little pig lobule.

hoohaw

Re: APOD: Cometary Globule CG4 (2015 Mar 06)

Post by hoohaw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:44 pm

That galaxy is doomed! It is going to be gobbled up!

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer
Posts: 3528
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: APOD: Cometary Globule CG4 (2015 Mar 06)

Post by starsurfer » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:24 pm

hoohaw wrote:That galaxy is doomed! It is going to be gobbled up!
Poor misunderstood cometary globule, it just wants a HUG!

User avatar
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Re: APOD: Cometary Globule CG4 (2015 Mar 06)

Post by DavidLeodis » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:09 pm

After my very recent problem with links having been recorded as read before I have read them (since cleared up) I now have another apparently strange thing! On clicking on the "light-years away" link I get a Wikipedia entry about the 'Sandworm (Dune)' where it starts "The sandworm is a fictional form of desert-dwelling creature from the Dune universe created by Frank Herbert". As nobody else has mentioned it I assume therefore that it is only me that is getting this for whatever reason. I'm :? yet again!

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14358
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Cometary Globule CG4 (2015 Mar 06)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:12 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:After my very recent problem with links having been recorded as read before I have read them (since cleared up) I now have another apparently strange thing! On clicking on the "light-years away" link I get a Wikipedia entry about the 'Sandworm (Dune)' where it starts "The sandworm is a fictional form of desert-dwelling creature from the Dune universe created by Frank Herbert". As nobody else has mentioned it I assume therefore that it is only me that is getting this for whatever reason. I'm :? yet again!
No, that link is by obvious design, given the strong resemblance of the distant galaxy being attacked by a sandworm in this APOD.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Re: APOD: Cometary Globule CG4 (2015 Mar 06)

Post by DavidLeodis » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:23 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
DavidLeodis wrote:After my very recent problem with links having been recorded as read before I have read them (since cleared up) I now have another apparently strange thing! On clicking on the "light-years away" link I get a Wikipedia entry about the 'Sandworm (Dune)' where it starts "The sandworm is a fictional form of desert-dwelling creature from the Dune universe created by Frank Herbert". As nobody else has mentioned it I assume therefore that it is only me that is getting this for whatever reason. I'm :? yet again!
No, that link is by obvious design, given the strong resemblance of the distant galaxy being attacked by a sandworm in this APOD.
Wow that was a fast reply Chris :). I had not thought of a connection to the look of the globule and the sandworm as I assumed it was probably just another problem at my end!

I hope that I am not getting considered by the forum to be posting what may be considered to be trivial posts that I should have been able to work out before posting them. Apologies to all if I am.