APOD: A Golden Gate Eclipse (2015 Apr 09)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Golden Gate Eclipse (2015 Apr 09)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:08 am

Image A Golden Gate Eclipse

Explanation: Shadows play on the water and in the sky in this panoramic view of the April 4 total lunar eclipse over San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge. Just within planet Earth's shadow the Full Moon's disk is still easy to spot at its brief total phase. The urban night skyscape was composed to cover the wide range of brightness visible to the eye. The shortest total lunar eclipse of the century, this eclipse was also the third in a string of four consecutive total lunar eclipses, a series known as a tetrad. Coming in nearly six month intervals, the previous two were last April 15 and October 8. The next and final eclipse in the tetrad will be on September 28. This 2014-2015 tetrad is one of 8 total lunar eclipse tetrads in the 21st century.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Re: APOD: A Golden Gate Eclipse (2015 Apr 09)

Post by starsurfer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:37 am

Not only can he do stunning deep sky photos, Rogelio stuns everyone with his fantastic skyscapes! Being located in cloudy UK, I was unfortunately unable to see the eclipse this year.

Also @ geckzilla, have you ever been to San Francisco? Do you have any interesting stories?
On a slightly related note, have you ever been to Canada?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:55 am

I've been to San Francisco. I personally do not have any cool stories as the visit was uneventful. I saw the goats they employ to eat away at the hillside vegetation, though. Later I found out it was to keep the homeless from sheltering in the bushes of these nice neighborhoods. Life is pretty unfair. I have never been to Canada but I aspire to visit one day.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

dmullins@lcogt.net

Post by dmullins@lcogt.net » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:34 pm

I'm curious as to why they are considered consecutive eclipses if they are 6 months apart? I would think consecutive to mean that an eclipse occured at each full moon.

toolazytosignup

Post by toolazytosignup » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:06 pm

I think they mens 'consecutive' as in eclipses that are considered total.
But I could be wrong and hopefully someone will correct me while explaining it to you.
:eyebrows:

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:10 pm

dmullins@lcogt.net wrote:I'm curious as to why they are considered consecutive eclipses if they are 6 months apart? I would think consecutive to mean that an eclipse occured at each full moon.
I believe the term "Consecutive" was used because there is only the possibility of an eclipse every 6 months at or near the equinoxes. Now I have seen one follow the other (Lunar/Solar) at a 2 week interval

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:09 pm

Cool picture! I happened to be about half a mile away, at Fort Cronkhite on the western side of the bridge:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/26020895@ ... /lightbox/

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:14 am

Golden....is right....

:---(===) *