Apod Wallpaper App for Win 7+

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
Wyboth
Asternaut

Apod Wallpaper App for Win 7+

Post by Wyboth » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:08 pm

Hello,

I have developed a Windows application that will set your desktop wallpaper to the current Astronomy Picture of the Day. This application will work for Windows 7 or higher. Obviously, when the APOD is a video, it does not change your wallpaper. You can download it here. Please report any bugs in this thread.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Apod Wallpaper App for Win 7+

Post by geckzilla » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:15 pm

I moved this topic into the Handbook section. That's where people tend to go when they have problems with their existing wallpaper apps. Did you allow it to put PNGs on the desktop? It's a rare occurrence but sometimes the featured APOD is a PNG file. Existing wallpaper apps tend to ignore them on those days.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Wyboth
Asternaut

Re: Apod Wallpaper App for Win 7+

Post by Wyboth » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:17 am

Yes, PNGs are supported. Really, any image type that can be set as a wallpaper will work with this app. I have it programmed to read the size of jpeg, png, gif, and bmp images, so it can decide whether to use the "fit to screen" wallpaper setting, or the "center" one. If the image is some other type, then it defaults to "fit to screen," so there could be a case where a small image is stretched out, but I don't think I've ever seen an APOD that isn't one of those 4 types.