APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4477
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:06 am

Image Night Hides the World

Explanation: Stars come out as evening twilight fades in this serene skyscape following the Persian proverb "Night hides the world, but reveals a universe." The scene finds the Sun setting over northern Kenya and the night will soon hide the shores of Lake Turkana, home to many Nile crocodiles. The region is also known for its abundance of hominid fossils. On that past November night, a brilliant Venus, then the world's evening star, dominates the starry skies above. But also revealed are faint stars, cosmic dust clouds, and glowing nebulae along the graceful arc of our own Milky Way galaxy.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by Boomer12k » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:43 am

Yup a beautiful night....

:---[===] *

Animal of Stone

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by Animal of Stone » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:55 am

As an urban dweller i dream of nights like this :mrgreen:

henrystar
Ensign
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:40 am

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by henrystar » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:12 pm

Hey! What about an APOD showing a COMPLETELY socked-in night! Maybe even fog!

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18560
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by neufer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:55 pm

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/night-is-large-martin-gardner/1114541352 wrote:

Publishers Weekly - Publisher's Weekly (review)

<<The title of Gardner's essays, which are drawn from an output of nearly 60 years, comes from Lord Dunsany's The Laughter of the Gods: "A man is a small thing, and the night is very large and full of wonders." Substitute cosmos for night, and one has the principle behind the contents-a recapitulation, often involving the recycling of already recycled writings, of Gardner's polymath productivity. Recreational wisdom, much of it culled from his columns in Scientific American and reviews in the New York Review of Books, emerges in every essay, but not every essay is for every reader. Many are absorbing, some idiosyncratic, others abstruse. His intellectual heroes are from a variety of pursuits and times: Lewis Carroll, Oz creator L. Frank Baum, philosopher William James, fantasist G.K. Chesterton, mathematician Roger Penrose. Gardner's doghouse is more crowded and includes educator Robert Hutchins and his "Great Books" missionary Mortimer Adler, Sigmund Freud for "an absence of empirical underpinning," Steven Spielberg for his "tooth fairy" Close Encounters of the Third Kind, T.S. Eliot for cramped thinking, Arthur Conan Doyle and dozens of other seemingly intelligent souls for succumbing to spiritualism and other pseudosciences and religious orthodoxies. Also unspared are supply-side economists such as Arthur Laffer, and literary cranks promoting alternative authors of Shakespeare's plays and grubbing for profundities in Finnegans Wake. "My own opinion," he contends, "is that the gullibility of the public today makes citizens of the nineteenth century look like hard-nosed skeptics.">>
Art Neuendorffer

labidas

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by labidas » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:38 pm


User avatar
pferkul
Ensign
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by pferkul » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Any idea what this is on the horizon?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:34 pm
AKA: Fred
Location: Idaho USA

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:03 pm

henrystar wrote:Hey! What about an APOD showing a COMPLETELY socked-in night! Maybe even fog!
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140823.html

Night :no: Fog :yes:
Make Mars not Wars

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16214
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:12 pm

pferkul wrote:Any idea what this is on the horizon?
Hard to say. Looks like a windmill, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, like nearly all TWAN images, there is virtually no information provided. If I ran APOD, I'd refuse to run TWAN images. But hey... not my call.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Carl Eriksson

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by Carl Eriksson » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:12 pm

Was it serendipity or careful planning that Venus happens to be captured in this expansive photograph very near where the Milky Way's galactic center, about 26,000 light years distant, lies behind our sister planet.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16214
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Carl Eriksson wrote:Was it serendipity or careful planning that Venus happens to be captured in this expansive photograph very near where the Milky Way's galactic center, about 26,000 light years distant, lies behind our sister planet.
You can plan a shot, but you can't do anything about where the astronomical objects are. So I'd say one part serendipity, one part planning (which comes from being aware of the opportunities provided by upcoming alignments).
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Sawngrighter

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by Sawngrighter » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:56 pm

How can I contact the Administration? Why were my IPs blocked? Did I have to register after a fixed number of posts?

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer
Posts: 4565
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by starsurfer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:18 pm

It's almost like a scene from Arabian Nights!

RafaelCS

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by RafaelCS » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:32 pm

pferkul wrote:Any idea what this is on the horizon?
Looks like an odd-looking wind generator. I wonder if it can be somehow related to the Lake Turkana Wind Power station

User avatar
LocalColor
Science Officer
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:11 pm
Location: Central Idaho, USA

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by LocalColor » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:00 pm

Looking at this photo and thinking of our distant ancestors seeing these same sights, sent a chill down my spine.

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 11650
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by Ann » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:28 pm

neufer wrote:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/night-is-large-martin-gardner/1114541352 wrote:

Publishers Weekly - Publisher's Weekly (review)

<<The title of Gardner's essays, which are drawn from an output of nearly 60 years, comes from Lord Dunsany's The Laughter of the Gods: "A man is a small thing, and the night is very large and full of wonders." Substitute cosmos for night, and one has the principle behind the contents-a recapitulation, often involving the recycling of already recycled writings, of Gardner's polymath productivity. Recreational wisdom, much of it culled from his columns in Scientific American and reviews in the New York Review of Books, emerges in every essay, but not every essay is for every reader. Many are absorbing, some idiosyncratic, others abstruse. His intellectual heroes are from a variety of pursuits and times: Lewis Carroll, Oz creator L. Frank Baum, philosopher William James, fantasist G.K. Chesterton, mathematician Roger Penrose. Gardner's doghouse is more crowded and includes educator Robert Hutchins and his "Great Books" missionary Mortimer Adler, Sigmund Freud for "an absence of empirical underpinning," Steven Spielberg for his "tooth fairy" Close Encounters of the Third Kind, T.S. Eliot for cramped thinking, Arthur Conan Doyle and dozens of other seemingly intelligent souls for succumbing to spiritualism and other pseudosciences and religious orthodoxies. Also unspared are supply-side economists such as Arthur Laffer, and literary cranks promoting alternative authors of Shakespeare's plays and grubbing for profundities in Finnegans Wake.

"My own opinion," he contends, "is that the gullibility of the public today makes citizens of the nineteenth century look like hard-nosed skeptics."
>>
Love that post, Art! Sorry about mangling your quote a bit.

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9158
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by geckzilla » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:19 pm

pferkul wrote:Any idea what this is on the horizon?
We had this discussion last time this image was run. I managed to find a daytime photo of a flamingo flying in front of either the same one or a similar one. Regardless of its actual purpose, it is an object which spins when wind blows through it.
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?p=219824#p219824
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18560
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by neufer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:40 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
geckzilla wrote:
pferkul wrote:
Any idea what this is on the horizon?
We had this discussion last time this image was run. I managed to find a daytime photo of a flamingo flying in front of either the same one or a similar one. Regardless of its actual purpose, it is an object which spins when wind blows through it.

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?p=219824#p219824
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
pferkul
Ensign
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by pferkul » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:36 pm

geckzilla wrote:
pferkul wrote:Any idea what this is on the horizon?
We had this discussion last time this image was run. I managed to find a daytime photo of a flamingo flying in front of either the same one or a similar one. Regardless of its actual purpose, it is an object which spins when wind blows through it.
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?p=219824#p219824
Thank you!

Tekija

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by Tekija » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:00 pm

geckzilla wrote:
pferkul wrote:Any idea what this is on the horizon?
Chris Peterson wrote:Hard to say. Looks like a windmill, doesn't it?
rafaelCS wrote:Looks like an odd-looking wind generator
We had this discussion last time this image was run. I managed to find a daytime photo of a flamingo flying in front of either the same one or a similar one. Regardless of its actual purpose, it is an object which spins when wind blows through it.
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?p=219824#p219824
Indeed, but not a wind generator nor a windmill, it is a windpump of Sibiloa National Park run by Kenyan Wildlife Service, hence image was taken there. Clue: it is in the water.

http://www.appropedia.org/Windpumps

Better images:

Image

Image

Image

Gnuthad

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by Gnuthad » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:53 pm

I am a little surprised the the description of this picture failed to mention the "green flash". The photographer has captured the image at precisely the right moment to capture this fleeting phenomenon.

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9158
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by geckzilla » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:05 pm

Gnuthad wrote:I am a little surprised the the description of this picture failed to mention the "green flash". The photographer has captured the image at precisely the right moment to capture this fleeting phenomenon.
The clouds are blocking the Sun, so no, that's not a green flash. Much more likely it is some kind of terrestrial light source.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16214
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:38 pm

Gnuthad wrote:I am a little surprised the the description of this picture failed to mention the "green flash". The photographer has captured the image at precisely the right moment to capture this fleeting phenomenon.
This image was made long after sunset. I think that's a streetlight, shop, or little village.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18560
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by neufer » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:05 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Gnuthad wrote:
I am a little surprised the the description of this picture failed to mention the "green flash". The photographer has captured the image at precisely the right moment to capture this fleeting phenomenon.
This image was made long after sunset. I think that's a streetlight, shop, or little village.
http://thegreatgatsbysandm.blogspot.com/2011/05/green-light.html wrote:
<<To Gatsby, the green light at the end of Daisy’s dock represents his dream, which is Daisy: “…he stretched out his arms toward the dark water in a curious way, and, far as I was from him, I could have sworn he was trembling. Involuntarily I glanced seaward – and distinguished nothing except a single green light, minute and far away…” The green light also represents society’s desire and the seeming impossibility of achieving the materialistic American Dream.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Rusty Brown in Cda

Re: APOD: Night Hides the World (2015 Oct 16)

Post by Rusty Brown in Cda » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Sunset and evening star
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For though from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crossed the bar.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson
[1809 - 1892]