APOD: Wright Mons on Pluto (2015 Nov 14)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Wright Mons on Pluto (2015 Nov 14)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:09 am

Image Wright Mons on Pluto

Explanation: Long shadows are cast by a low Sun across this rugged looking terrain. Captured by New Horizons, the scene is found just south of the southern tip Sputnik Planum, the informally named smooth, bright heart region of Pluto. Centered is a feature provisionally known as Wright Mons, a broad, tall mountain, about 150 kilometers across and 4 kilometers high, with a 56 kilometer wide, deep summit depression. Of course, broad mountains with central craters are found elsewhere in the Solar System, like Mauna Loa on planet Earth and Olympus Mons on Mars. In fact, New Horizons scientists announced the striking similarity of Pluto's Wright Mons, and nearby Piccard Mons, to large shield volcanoes strongly suggests the two could be giant cryovolcanoes that once erupted molten ice from the interior of the cold, distant world.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Joel Merrill

Re: APOD: Wright Mons on Pluto (2015 Nov 14)

Post by Joel Merrill » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:28 am

"Molten ice"??? Wouldn't that be a liquid of some type? :wink:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:32 am

How fascinating! Just yesterday, I read about it here.

The more we learn about Pluto, the more fascinating it becomes. I can't help thinking about Titan, where the jury is still out about cryovolcanoes.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:44 am

Joel Merrill wrote:"Molten ice"??? Wouldn't that be a liquid of some type? :wink:
Yes, probably, but the more specific reason for how it got to be in that liquid form is also included by using molten ice rather than simply liquid. One implies a kind of geological process while the other is not specific at all.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:56 am

Joel Merrill wrote:"Molten ice"??? Wouldn't that be a liquid of some type? :wink:
Not necessarily. Depending on the pressures, temperatures, and constituents, molten ice could be a fluid but not a liquid.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:18 am

geckzilla wrote:
Joel Merrill wrote:
"Molten ice"??? Wouldn't that be a liquid of some type? :wink:
Yes, probably, but the more specific reason for how it got to be in that liquid form is also included by using molten ice rather than simply liquid. One implies a kind of geological process while the other is not specific at all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slush_%28beverage%29 wrote:
[img3="Squishee is a frozen drink sold at the Kwik-E-Mart. They've been described
as "a thick, gloopy, tooth-rotting mixture of crushed ice and syrup."
"]http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/sim ... 0603154626[/img3]
<<A slushie, sometimes known as a slush or slushy, is a flavored frozen drink. There are a number of different kinds of slush drinks:

Frozen uncarbonated beverages are made by freezing a non-carbonated juice or other liquid. Machines for producing these do not require a pressure chamber, and as a result, they are much cheaper and easier to maintain. There are variations including frozen carbonated beverages, typified by the Slurpee or ICEE, which are made by freezing a carbonated drink. Machines for producing these are complicated and expensive, and notably require a carbon dioxide supply. They make a very fine and 'dry' slush. There are also frozen coffee beverages and frozen alcoholic beverages, as well as more conventional slush drinks. There are also "instant" slush drinks formed via supercooling. Several examples include Slushie, which allows consumers to make beverages that turn to slush upon opening using a conventional freezer; the Chill Chamber, which allows businesses to store beverages at below freezing temperatures that turn to slush upon opening; and supercooled Sprite from Coca-Cola (briefly marketed in the UK), which required special vending machines to store the bottles in a supercooled state so that they would turn to slush upon opening.>>
Art Neuendorffer

ceelias
Ensign

Post by ceelias » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:44 am

I know there are dimensions of several features, but can a scale or resolution be provided? I'm interested in the size of the smallest objects visible. Thanks.

paulslittlebit
Ensign

Post by paulslittlebit » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:47 pm

ceelias wrote:I know there are dimensions of several features, but can a scale or resolution be provided? I'm interested in the size of the smallest objects visible. Thanks.
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA20155

Joel Merrill

Post by Joel Merrill » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:17 pm

This was not a serious question. The words, "molten ice" just struck me as funny at the moment. I am just amazed at the complexity of Pluto. Who would have thought it would be so interesting. It also amazes me that we have been able to do this. I grew up during the space race. I remember when just sending a rocket into space was very experimental. I remember when space stations were science fiction. I have had this "Astronomy Picture of the Day" set as my home page for at least 15 years. It's the first thing I see when I log on every day. Fascinating.

Joel

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:24 pm

Joel Merrill wrote:
This was not a serious question. The words, "molten ice" just struck me as funny at the moment.
It was a good question, though.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

quigley

Post by quigley » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:48 pm

Any speculation as to what created the vertical "fault-line" just right of center? Also, the mountain and surrounding area seems to have a finely pocked texture, especially in the area of the image northwest of the "mountain". What causes this?

old dude

Post by old dude » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:05 am

Looks very dangerous and angry. :shock:

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:26 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty_and_the_Beast_%281946_film%29 wrote:

<<La Belle et la Bête is a 1946 French romantic fantasy film adaptation of the traditional fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, written by Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont and published in 1757. Directed by French poet and filmmaker Jean Cocteau, the film stars Josette Day as Belle and Jean Marais. The plot of Cocteau's film revolves around Belle's father who is sentenced to death for picking a rose from Beast's garden. Belle offers to go back to the Beast in her father's place. Beast falls in love with her and proposes marriage on a nightly basis which she refuses. Belle eventually becomes more drawn to Beast, who tests her by letting her return home to her family and telling her that if she doesn't return to him within a week, he will die of grief.>>
old dude wrote:
Looks very dangerous and angry. :shock:
Art Neuendorffer

old dude

Post by old dude » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:24 pm

Getting scarier and scarier, they are obviously related. :evil:

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:36 pm

old dude wrote:
Getting scarier and scarier, they are obviously related. :evil:
Art Neuendorffer