APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 3545
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:14 am

Image Doomed Star Eta Carinae

Explanation: Eta Carinae may be about to explode. But no one knows when - it may be next year, it may be one million years from now. Eta Carinae's mass - about 100 times greater than our Sun - makes it an excellent candidate for a full blown supernova. Historical records do show that about 150 years ago Eta Carinae underwent an unusual outburst that made it one of the brightest stars in the southern sky. Eta Carinae, in the Keyhole Nebula, is the only star currently thought to emit natural LASER light. This featured image, taken in 1996, brought out new details in the unusual nebula that surrounds this rogue star. Now clearly visible are two distinct lobes, a hot central region, and strange radial streaks. The lobes are filled with lanes of gas and dust which absorb the blue and ultraviolet light emitted near the center. The streaks remain unexplained.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

ta152h0
Schooled
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Auburn, Washington, USA

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:42 am

maybe the first target for the new Webb telescope when deployed ?
Wolf Kotenberg

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14348
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:12 am

APOD Robot wrote:This featured image, taken in 1996, brought out new details in the unusual nebula that surrounds this rogue star.
I don't believe this star has any of the characteristics that would generally identify it as a "rogue star", being located in a normal position and orbit within our galaxy.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 9509
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by Ann » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:32 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
APOD Robot wrote:This featured image, taken in 1996, brought out new details in the unusual nebula that surrounds this rogue star.
I don't believe this star has any of the characteristics that would generally identify it as a "rogue star", being located in a normal position and orbit within our galaxy.
Wikipedia wrote:
A rogue star, primarily known as an intergalactic star, is a star that has escaped the gravitational pull of its home galaxy and is moving independently in or towards the intergalactic void. More loosely, any star in an unusual location or state of motion may be termed a rogue star.
The rogue star link in today's caption takes us to a page which says:
Previous models of such bipolar flows predict a dense disk surrounding the star which funnels the ejected material out of the poles of the system. In Eta Carinae, however, high velocity material is spraying out in the same plane as the hypothetical disk, which is supposed to be channeling the flow.
To me, the Homunculus Nebula (the nebula made of ejected material surrounding Eta Carinae) looks a bit like a fat and misshapen baby. The big lobe turned toward us is the "body", the somewhat darker lobe turned away from us is the "head", and the stubby jets of material sticking out at the sides are the arms.

These jets are clearly spraying out through holes in the (hypothetical) disk. Do we really know that the disk is there, and that there is something "wrong" or at least "strange" with the direction of the outflow of the jets?

Ann
Color Commentator

bjmb
Ensign
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: amsterdam, the netherlands

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by bjmb » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:54 am

Historical records do show that about 150 years ago Eta Carinae underwent an unusual outburst that made it one of the brightest stars in the southern sky.
you mean to say: "Historical records do show that about 150 years ago Eta Carinae was noticed to have undergone an unusual outburst that made it one of the brightest stars in the southern sky."

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15962
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by neufer » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:59 am

Ann wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
APOD Robot wrote:
This featured image, taken in 1996, brought out new details in the unusual nebula that surrounds this rogue star.
I don't believe this star has any of the characteristics that would generally identify it as a "rogue star", being located in a normal position and orbit within our galaxy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_star wrote:
A rogue star... is any star in an unusual location or state of motion may be termed a rogue star.
Besides which...Eta Carinae is not really a star but rather "a stellar system containing at least two stars."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_%28vagrant%29 wrote:
<<A rogue is a vagrant person who wanders from place to place. Like a drifter, a rogue is an independent person who rejects conventional rules of society in favor of following their own personal goals and values. The [modern] term rogue is used pejoratively to describe a dishonest or unprincipled person whose behavior one disapproves of, but who is nonetheless likeable and/or attractive.>>
Well...Eta Carinae is certainly attractive although we disapprove of its behavior.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14348
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:01 am

bjmb wrote:
Historical records do show that about 150 years ago Eta Carinae underwent an unusual outburst that made it one of the brightest stars in the southern sky.
you mean to say: "Historical records do show that about 150 years ago Eta Carinae was noticed to have undergone an unusual outburst that made it one of the brightest stars in the southern sky."
I prefer the first, as a shorter and clearer statement of what occurred.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

bjmb
Ensign
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: amsterdam, the netherlands

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by bjmb » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:28 am

'shorter', sure, but its 'clarity' is false - what 'occurred' 150 years ago with the real eta carinae is unknown, what we noticed and notice is always some 7,000 year old news. perhaps it's been a supernova for the past 6,000 years - we won't know until a thousand years hence.

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8959
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by geckzilla » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:33 am

Heh, I dunno why people get so caught up on using local time to describe when astronomical events occur. I mean, I get why, but at the same time, it's a given that distant objects have a noticeable light travel time. Mentioning it over and over is just redundant.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14348
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:43 am

bjmb wrote:'shorter', sure, but its 'clarity' is false - what 'occurred' 150 years ago with the real eta carinae is unknown, what we noticed and notice is always some 7,000 year old news. perhaps it's been a supernova for the past 6,000 years - we won't know until a thousand years hence.
We treat the event as occurring when it is observed, because that is the most natural way given the nature of spacetime.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 9509
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by Ann » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:45 am

Art wrote:
Besides which...Eta Carinae is not really a star but rather "a stellar system containing at least two stars."
Image
So, do you often call Albireo a stellar system containing at least two stars? Okay, Albireo is very well-known for being a a colorful yellow and blue double star. But do you often call Albireo A, the bright yellow component, a stellar system containing at least two stars?
Jim Kaler wrote:
Albireo is actually triple. The brighter yellow-colored member, Albireo A, is a much closer double made of a third magnitude (3.3) class K (K3) stable helium-fusing bright giant and a hotter but dimmer (magnitude 5.5) class B (B9) hydrogen-fusing dwarf, the two stars not readily separable in the telescope.
The term for a stellar system containing two stars is normally "binary star".

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8959
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by geckzilla » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:04 am

I don't think the nature of Eta Carinae makes it easy to determine just how many stars are in its system. The second was inferred but only recently directly detected. This star system has a lot of baggage to deal with.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

ddanbe
Asternaut
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:48 am

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by ddanbe » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:17 am

I find it a strange coincidence that the nebula around this star resembles one of the d-orbitals of an atom.
Anyone any comments?

User avatar
RedFishBlueFish
Science Officer
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by RedFishBlueFish » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:20 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
bjmb wrote:
Historical records do show that about 150 years ago Eta Carinae underwent an unusual outburst that made it one of the brightest stars in the southern sky.
you mean to say: "Historical records do show that about 150 years ago Eta Carinae was noticed to have undergone an unusual outburst that made it one of the brightest stars in the southern sky."
I prefer the first, as a shorter and clearer statement of what occurred.
Moreover, if one strives for pedantic correctness, certainly one simply must add at least one additional superfluous phrase such as "...of one planet of a star in the Orion-Cygnus arm of the Milky Way approximately 7500 light-years distant from Eta Carinae nee Argus"

Happy New Year (as locally determined on that same body)!

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15962
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by neufer » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:34 pm


ddanbe wrote:
I find it a strange coincidence that the nebula around this star resembles one of the d-orbitals of an atom.
Anyone any comments?
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 18348
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by bystander » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:21 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

winstond

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by winstond » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:49 pm

Why does everyone seem so cranky today? Chill and enjoy the image folks, 'tis the season of goodwill.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15962
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by neufer » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:19 pm

winstond wrote:
  • Why does everyone seem so cranky today?
    Chill and enjoy the image folks, 'tis the season of goodwill.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
DOOM : ANAGKH : FATE
....................................................................
PREFACE. _The Hunchback of Notre Dame_ by Victor Hugo
  • A few years ago, while visiting or, rather, rummaging about Notre-Dame, the author of this book found, in an obscure nook of one of the towers, the following word, engraved by hand upon the wall:--
~ ANAGKH ~

  • These Greek capitals, black with age, and quite deeply graven in the stone, with I know not what signs peculiar to Gothic caligraphy imprinted upon their forms and upon their attitudes, as though with the purpose of revealing that it had been a hand of the Middle Ages which had inscribed them there, and especially the fatal & melancholy meaning contained in them, struck the author deeply. He questioned himself; he sought to divine who could have been that soul in torment which had not been willing to quit this world without leaving this stigma of crime or unhappiness upon the brow of the ancient church. Afterwards, the wall was whitewashed or scraped down, I know not which, and the inscription disappeared. For it is thus that people have been in the habit of proceeding with the marvellous churches of the Middle Ages for the last two hundred years. Mutilations come to them from every quarter, from within as well as from without. The priest whitewashes them, the archdeacon scrapes them down; then the populace arrives and demolishes them.
It is upon this word that this book is founded. -- Victor Hugo March, 1831
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

ta152h0
Schooled
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Auburn, Washington, USA

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:40 pm

some enjoy the image simply by looking at it, others by analyzing the beejeebers out of it. Everyday people .....
Wolf Kotenberg

User avatar
Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:34 pm
AKA: Fred
Location: Idaho USA

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:13 pm

neufer wrote:

ddanbe wrote:
I find it a strange coincidence that the nebula around this star resembles one of the d-orbitals of an atom.
Anyone any comments?
Does anyone know what shape is represented if you subtract a torus from a sphere? To me it would be shaped liked a wormhole plus a little left over (as the remainder of the sphere). Of course there are many torus-shapes but" in general" I'm asking is there a named geometrical shape for the part that is not the torus :?:
Make Mars not Wars

captainwiggins48
Ensign
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by captainwiggins48 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:51 pm

geckzilla wrote:Heh, I dunno why people get so caught up on using local time to describe when astronomical events occur. I mean, I get why, but at the same time, it's a given that distant objects have a noticeable light travel time. Mentioning it over and over is just redundant.
Is it a 'given' that a photon can survive unperturbed, at a constant speed for 7,000 or 7 billion years? How did it get here seemingly under it's own power and where does it get it's sustainability? This question needs to be addressed, but I fear that many in the scientific community aren't ready for the answer. Until the nomenclature specifies the time evolution of events ("light year" may be archaic) we'll have to continually be mindful of local versus ancient 'time'.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14348
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:59 pm

captainwiggins48 wrote:
geckzilla wrote:Heh, I dunno why people get so caught up on using local time to describe when astronomical events occur. I mean, I get why, but at the same time, it's a given that distant objects have a noticeable light travel time. Mentioning it over and over is just redundant.
Is it a 'given' that a photon can survive unperturbed, at a constant speed for 7,000 or 7 billion years?
Yes.
How did it get here seemingly under it's own power and where does it get it's sustainability? This question [sic] needs to be addressed, but I fear that many in the scientific community aren't ready for the answer.
This has been addressed. It is understood, outside of pseudoscience, quackery, and Internet cranks.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8959
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by geckzilla » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:35 pm

captainwiggins48 wrote:Until the nomenclature specifies the time evolution of events ("light year" may be archaic) we'll have to continually be mindful of local versus ancient 'time'.
You can, but you're not going to force that view on us here.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Glima49
Ensign
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:59 am

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by Glima49 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:35 pm

I noticed in the light curve that around 1940 Eta Carinae experienced another brightening that continues to this day. Wonder if this means another Great Eruption? In any case, I can't wait for Betelgeuse, Eta Carinae or Sher 25 to either outburst dramatically again or blow up in a supernova.
Also known as Polarissima and ErrorName629.
--Brandon Pimenta

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15962
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Doomed Star Eta Carinae (2015 Dec 27)

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:54 pm

Glima49 wrote:
I noticed in the light curve that around 1940 Eta Carinae experienced another brightening that continues to this day. Wonder if this means another Great Eruption? In any case, I can't wait for Betelgeuse, Eta Carinae or Sher 25 to either outburst dramatically again or blow up in a supernova.
  • Then try saying their names 3 times in a row.
http://beetlejuice.wikia.com/wiki/Betelgeuse wrote:
<<Betelgeuse (better known as Beetlejuice) is a trickster and mischievous ghost who can be summoned if his name is said 3 times in a row. According to Betelgeuse, he attended Julliard, is a graduate of the Harvard Business School, traveled quite extensively, lived through the Black Plague (and had a pretty good time during that), and has seen The Exorcist about 167 times (AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME).
Art Neuendorffer