APOD: Wright Mons in Color (2016 Jan 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: A bushel & a peck & a chain around the neck.

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:44 pm

geckzilla wrote:The alternative to the ever-growing economy! Recycling! Houses that fall down and cars that crash!
Well, as both houses and cars become ever smarter and increasingly autonomous, we may have the chance to put that to the test.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:58 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
geckzilla wrote:
The alternative to the ever-growing economy! Recycling! Houses that fall down and cars that crash!
Well, as both houses and cars become ever smarter and increasingly autonomous,
we may have the chance to put that to the test.
I'm not sure that Geck was SIRIous.
Art Neuendorffer

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:14 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
geckzilla wrote:The alternative to the ever-growing economy! Recycling! Houses that fall down and cars that crash!
Well, as both houses and cars become ever smarter and increasingly autonomous, we may have the chance to put that to the test.
Though it seems that as our technology gets smarter more people are going in the opposing direction

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: APOD: Wright Mons in Color (2016 Jan 15)

Post by rstevenson » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:51 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:Though it seems that as our technology gets smarter more people are going in the opposing direction
Big Al.jpg

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:53 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
hamilton1 wrote:
BMAONE23 wrote:Considering that the $$$ expended went to buy materials and pay salaries of those involved in development and construction of the probe, the $$$ aren't lost per se, they are still in circulation here. The only investment that could even be considered as Lost is the time spent.
So if you wreck your car then it doesn't matter, because the money you expended to buy the car and pay the auto workers is still in circulation?? Interesting logic... :D
would depend on what was learned from the wreck and how heavily insured you were. :wink:
Yes, but where does the insurance money come from?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:02 pm

Cousin Ricky wrote:
BMAONE23 wrote:
hamilton1 wrote: So if you wreck your car then it doesn't matter, because the money you expended to buy the car and pay the auto workers is still in circulation?? Interesting logic... :D
would depend on what was learned from the wreck and how heavily insured you were. :wink:
Don't confuse money with value, or the wealth of an entire economy with the wealth of an individual.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:01 am

Cousin Ricky wrote:
BMAONE23 wrote:
hamilton1 wrote: So if you wreck your car then it doesn't matter, because the money you expended to buy the car and pay the auto workers is still in circulation?? Interesting logic... :D
Considering that I've paid $35 per month average or $420 per year over the last 15 years which Allstate has been ensuring my vehicle, I've paid them $6300 in premiums in that time period. Also considering that my 98 Durango is now worth $2500 if I totaled it, virtually all of the money I would see would come from premiums that I have paid them.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:13 am

BMAONE23 wrote:
Cousin Ricky wrote:
BMAONE23 wrote: would depend on what was learned from the wreck and how heavily insured you were. :wink:
Considering that I've paid $35 per month average or $420 per year over the last 15 years which Allstate has been ensuring my vehicle, I've paid them $6300 in premiums in that time period. Also considering that my 98 Durango is now worth $2500 if I totaled it, virtually all of the money I would see would come from premiums that I have paid them.
Isn't that just liability? You don't have collision on such an old vehicle, do you? If so, you'd get nothing for it.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory