APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4483
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:11 am

Image 3D Ahuna Mons

Explanation: Get out your red/blue glasses and gaze across Ceres at mysterious mountain Ahuna Mons. Shown in a 3D anaglyph perspective view, the mosaicked image data was captured in December of 2015, taken from the Dawn spacecraft's low-altitude mapping orbit about 385 kilometers above the surface of the dwarf planet. A remarkable dome-shaped feature on Ceres, with steep, smooth sides Ahuna Mons is about 20 kilometers (12 miles) in diameter at its base, rising on average 4 kilometers to a flattened summit. Similar in size to mountains found on planet Earth, no other Cerean surface feature is so tall and well-defined. It is not known what process shaped the lonely Ahuna Mons, or if the bright material streaking its steepest side is the same material responsible for Ceres' famous bright spots.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Fredo
Asternaut
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:21 am

Re: APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Post by Fredo » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:56 am

Hi!
My "reply" is a Question! As follows:
May there be a relation of Ahuna Mons with that hole that is seen just alongside of it (to top-left)?
Could that hole be an impact crater?

My curiosity will apprecite any answer!
:-)

heehaw

Re: APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Post by heehaw » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:38 am

The dullness of Ceres re-emphasizes the incredible and fascinating diversity of Pluto. Who would have conceived it? So far out in the sticks...

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18579
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Post by neufer » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:58 pm

Fredo wrote:
May there be a relation of Ahuna Mons with that hole that is seen just alongside of it (to top-left)?
Experts don't think so.
Fredo wrote:
Could that hole be an impact crater?
Most certainly.
Art Neuendorffer

stowaway
Ensign
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Re: APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Post by stowaway » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:53 pm

Dawn reached it's lowest orbit in mid-December and since then there have been hardly any images released at the website. Just a few redundant flyover videos. And even this is just a new look at an object featured almost a year ago. Disappointing to say the least. It appears we know more about Pluto from a 24 hour flyby than Ceres after a year in orbit.
An earlier article about Ahuna Mons said the protrusion did not appear to be associated with any impact crater, and yet what is that right beside it? Isn't there a feature on Earth's Moon similar to this which is in fact is caused by a nearby impact? If Ahuna is not associated with the impact crater then I think we deserve an explanation why it is not.
A big thumbs down for the Ceres team for keeping all the good stuff to themselves.

Rules For
Ensign
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Re: APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Post by Rules For » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:40 pm

stowaway wrote:Dawn reached it's lowest orbit in mid-December and since then there have been hardly any images released at the website.
They've been releasing a new image pretty much every day, just as before, on their website: http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/ceres.html
Just scroll down below the "Featured Image", which hasn't been changing for whatever reason, and they're all there.

Celestekent

Re: APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Post by Celestekent » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:31 pm

The photo of Ahuna Mons seems like some hard (probably Nickle Iron) astroid hit Ceres with a relatively low speed impact and imbedded itself underneath the near side of the crater. Speed and angle of impact may result in explosive events but not necessarily. Examining the gravity within that mound will decide if that is true.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18579
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Post by neufer » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:21 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Celestekent wrote:
The photo of Ahuna Mons seems like some hard (probably Nickle Iron) astroid hit Ceres with a relatively low speed impact and imbedded itself underneath the near side of the crater. Speed and angle of impact may result in explosive events but not necessarily. Examining the gravity within that mound will decide if that is true.
Hemeroids :?:
Art Neuendorffer

montylc2001
Ensign
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Post by montylc2001 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:08 am

Seems to me that the crater next to Ahuna Mons is a collapsed caldera, not an impact crater, as many craters on Ceres seem to be. Perhaps Ahuna Mons is destined for the same fate.

Guest

Re: APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:26 am

Rules For wrote:
stowaway wrote:Dawn reached it's lowest orbit in mid-December and since then there have been hardly any images released at the website.
They've been releasing a new image pretty much every day, just as before, on their website:

Thanks for the link and my apologies to the Ceres team. That's a pretty well kept secret. Even knowing now that it's there I haven't been able to find it at the website which I visit everyday for more than a year now. Thanks again.

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9158
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Post by geckzilla » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:35 am

Check it out, hi res pic of Occator's bright spots, processed with respect to the dynamic range of those spots. I confess I am a little disappointed that the ivory tower from The Neverending Story is clearly not present.
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA20350
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18579
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Post by neufer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:42 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
geckzilla wrote:
Check it out, hi res pic of Occator's bright spots, processed with respect to the dynamic range of those spots. I confess I am a little disappointed that the ivory tower from The Neverending Story is clearly not present.
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA20350
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
MarkBour
Subtle Signal
Posts: 1187
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:44 pm
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: APOD: 3D Ahuna Mons (2016 Mar 19)

Post by MarkBour » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:26 am

So, are the experts entertaining any theories that Ahuna Mons is some sort of cryovolcanic feature?
Mark Goldfain