APOD: Contemplating the Sun (2016 May 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Contemplating the Sun (2016 May 01)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun May 01, 2016 4:05 am

Image Contemplating the Sun

Explanation: Have you contemplated your home star recently? Featured here, a Sun partially eclipsed on the top left by the Moon is also seen eclipsed by earthlings contemplating the eclipse below. The spectacular menagerie of silhouettes was taken in 2012 from the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area near Page, Arizona, USA, where park rangers and astronomers expounded on the unusual event to interested gatherers. Also faintly visible on the Sun's disk, just to the lower right of the dark Moon's disk, is a group of sunspots. Although a partial solar eclipse by the Moon is indeed a good chance to contemplate the Sun, a great chance -- and one that is significantly more rare -- will occur next week when the Sun undergoes a partial eclipse by the planet Mercury.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Re: APOD: Contemplating the Sun (2016 May 01)

Post by Guest » Sun May 01, 2016 6:16 am

APOD Robot wrote:... and one that is significantly more rare -- will occur next week when the Sun undergoes a partial eclipse by the planet Mercury.
I'm not sure I understand. Shouldn't that be referred to as a transit by Mercury, and not an eclipse?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: APOD: Contemplating the Sun (2016 May 01)

Post by geckzilla » Sun May 01, 2016 6:27 am

Guest wrote:
APOD Robot wrote:... and one that is significantly more rare -- will occur next week when the Sun undergoes a partial eclipse by the planet Mercury.
I'm not sure I understand. Shouldn't that be referred to as a transit by Mercury, and not an eclipse?
You can use either word.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.