APOD: Solstice Dawn and Full Moonset (2016 Jun 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Solstice Dawn and Full Moonset (2016 Jun 23)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:06 am

Image Solstice Dawn and Full Moonset

Explanation: A Full Moon sets as the Solstice Sun rises in this June 20 dawn skyscape. Captured from a nearby peak in central California, planet Earth, the scene looks across the summit of Mount Hamilton and Lick Observatory domes on a calendar date that marks an astronomical change of seasons and hemispherical extremes of daylight hours. Earth's shadow stretches toward the Santa Cruz Mountains on the western horizon. Just above the atmospheric grey shadowband is a more colorful anti-twilight arch, a band of reddened, backscattered sunlight also known as the Belt of Venus. The interplay of solstice dates and lunar months does make this solstice and Full Moon a rare match-up. The next June solstice and Full Moon will fall on the same calendar date on June 21, 2062.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Confused
Science Officer

Re: APOD: Solstice Dawn and Full Moonset (2016 Jun 23)

Post by Confused » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:48 am

I look at the Mount Wilson camera every day. I am also familiar with the Griffith Park Observatory. For some reason this picture gives me a funny feeling. It took me a few seconds to realize that this observatory is none of the ones I am familiar with. Initially I thought: How did they get this picture of Mount Wilson?

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:11 am

Be sure to look at http://epod.usra.edu/blog/ for a sense of deja vu!

Steve Dutch

Post by Steve Dutch » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:56 pm

There are some faint anti-crepuscular rays visible. De-focus your eyes to see them. The most prominent is a broad band that slants down and toward the right toward the smaller dome. Some distant cloud or peak in the Sierra Nevada is casting a shadow that extends all the way across the sky.

MdB

Post by MdB » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:35 pm

Beautiful shot, as usual, but I was disappointed to see the description imitate the misleading proclamations of the significance of this event in other media. This full moon occurred eleven hours before the summer solstice; in which coming year will the moment of the full moon occur even closer to the moment of the solstice? The calendar date, is of course, meaningless.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Must be nice this time of year....

Great pic...

:---[===] *