APOD: Summer Planets and Milky Way (2016 Jul 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Summer Planets and Milky Way (2016 Jul 23)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:09 am

Image Summer Planets and Milky Way

Explanation: Lights sprawl toward the horizon in this night skyscape from Uludag National Park, Bursa Province, Turkey, planet Earth. The stars and nebulae of the Milky Way are still visible though, stretching above the lights on the northern summer night while three other planets shine brightly. Jupiter is at the far right, Mars near the center of the frame, and Saturn is just right of the bulging center of our galaxy. Because the panoramic scene was captured on July 6, all three planets pictured were hosting orbiting, operational, robotic spacecraft from Earth. Popular Mars has five (from three different space agencies): MAVEN (NASA), Mars Orbiter Mission (India), Mars Express (ESA), Mars Odyssey (NASA), Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (NASA). Ringed Saturn hosts the daring Cassini spacecraft. Just arrived, Juno now orbits ruling gas giant Jupiter.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Re: APOD: Summer Planets and Milky Way (2016 Jul 23)

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:28 am

Technology is barely keeping up with light pollution. This is a no-win position. Nice photo. Good luck in ten years.

canopia
Science Officer

Post by canopia » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:26 am

Guest is right. It had taken much less time for me to edit the panorama from the same spot 6 years ago, as the light pollution was less back then:
http://www.twanight.org/newTWAN/photos.asp?ID=3002742

Tunç Tezel

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:44 am

Congratulations on your APOD, Tunç Tezel. You are one of the really good frequent image contributors to Starship Asterisk*! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

RedFishBlueFish
Science Officer

Post by RedFishBlueFish » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:27 am

Thank you for this wonderful, peaceful and timely reminder of the very small place political ambitions and turmoil actually have in the world.

Al_from_Ottawa

Post by Al_from_Ottawa » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:24 pm

Great picture. Thanks.

I am curious how you can have both the sky and the terrestrial part sharp. I would have thought you would need a tracking mount for the sky, and that would blur the land. Or a stationary time exposure for the land which would give star tracks.

canopia
Science Officer

Post by canopia » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:40 pm

Thank you all.

Al_from_Ottawa, this panorama consists of 20 panels of 30-second exposures I shot with an EOS 6D camera at ISO 3200 and a 24 mm f/1.4 lens at f/3.2. I used a hand driven equatorial drive for the sky exposures (first 15 of them), and shot the last 5 for the foreground without tracking. This view is as much as 200 degrees wide and 130 degrees tall, so even without any tracking the motion of sky or foreground in 30 seconds would not have shown in this resoultion.

Tunç Tezel