APOD: Apollo 15 Panorama (2016 Aug 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
minkfarms
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: APOD: Apollo 15 Panorama (2016 Aug 05)

Post by minkfarms » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:52 pm

I'm sure someone mentioned it but to be staged that is one hell of a prop. :wink: :wink:

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 12259
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Apollo 15 Panorama (2016 Aug 05)

Post by Ann » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:27 pm

minkfarms wrote:I'm sure someone mentioned it but to be staged that is one hell of a prop. :wink: :wink:
True. It would be so hard to build, it would probably be easier to just send the astronauts to the Moon.

But hey, if the Moon landing was for real, then all those conspiracy lovers out there would have their favorite all-time coverup taken away from them.

Can't have that now, can we?

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16925
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Apollo 15 Panorama (2016 Aug 05)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Ann wrote:
minkfarms wrote:I'm sure someone mentioned it but to be staged that is one hell of a prop. :wink: :wink:
True. It would be so hard to build, it would probably be easier to just send the astronauts to the Moon.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23
Posts: 4076
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: APOD: Apollo 15 Panorama (2016 Aug 05)

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:53 am

It would take a soundstage about the size of a football field that could be completely depressurized (or the regolith wouldn't behave properly). The actors would still need the pressure suits and you would need to use cameras with about 60-90 fps film speed.
Definitely doable though the soundstage would be a real piece of work

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9173
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Apollo 15 Panorama (2016 Aug 05)

Post by geckzilla » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:07 am

BMAONE23 wrote:It would take a soundstage about the size of a football field that could be completely depressurized (or the regolith wouldn't behave properly). The actors would still need the pressure suits and you would need to use cameras with about 60-90 fps film speed.
Definitely doable though the soundstage would be a real piece of work
It's almost as if it would be easier and cheaper to engineer a real trip to the moon.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 21146
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: Apollo 15 Panorama (2016 Aug 05)

Post by bystander » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:48 pm

geckzilla wrote:
BMAONE23 wrote:It would take a soundstage about the size of a football field that could be completely depressurized (or the regolith wouldn't behave properly). The actors would still need the pressure suits and you would need to use cameras with about 60-90 fps film speed.
Definitely doable though the soundstage would be a real piece of work

It's almost as if it would be easier and cheaper to engineer a real trip to the moon.

Especially since you would have to build and launch the rocket, anyway.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

User avatar
Nitpicker
Inverse Square
Posts: 2692
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:39 am
Location: S27 E153

Re: APOD: Apollo 15 Panorama (2016 Aug 05)

Post by Nitpicker » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:21 am

I believe the Apollo 15 lander is (just) visible in this image, right of centre, above the shadows in Rima Hadley.