APOD: Perseid from Torralba del Burgo (2016 Aug 13)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Perseid from Torralba del Burgo (2016 Aug 13)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:10 am

Image Perseid from Torralba del Burgo

Explanation: Perseid meteors rained on planet Earth last night. This year the stream of dust from periodic comet Swift-Tuttle has produced a stunningly active shower of bright cosmic streaks. In this 25 second long exposure, one luminous Perseid trail, fast and colorful with a small explosion at the end, is witnessed by night skygazers from Torralba del Burgo, Soria, Spain. A second fainter meteor trail appears well below the first. The two can be extended to intersect at the meteor shower's radiant just above the brighter stars of the heroic constellation Perseus. Though the meteor shower's activity is waning, in the coming days Perseids will still flash through the night. But you won't see any if you don't go outside and look up.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Perseid from Torralba del Burgo (2016 Aug 13)

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:36 am

That's a fine picture of a nicely color-changing bright meteor. The meteor seems to have started out as green, then turn to red, while the "head" of the meteor is blue.

Just below the bright streak of the meteor can be seen, faintly, the Andromeda galaxy. The disk of Andromeda is oriented in the same way as the streak of the meteor, as if the meteor and the galaxy were flying along parallel tracks through space.

Ann
Color Commentator

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Magnifico....

:---[===] *

Epjmm15

Post by Epjmm15 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:35 pm

Great image, I think I saw the same meteor! Not sure though but it looked quite similar. Were these people constantly taking images to get such a good image or was it just happenstance that they took an image and there was the meteor?

fercapa
Ensign

Post by fercapa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:41 pm

Epjmm15 wrote:Great image, I think I saw the same meteor! Not sure though but it looked quite similar. Were these people constantly taking images to get such a good image or was it just happenstance that they took an image and there was the meteor?
Hello. I'm the author.

I was conducting a public observation and before people arrive I set a camera to take images for a timelapse. I shoot 565 images and that meteor appeared in one of them. I was shotting 25 seconds each photo with a stop interval of 5 seconds between them. When I saw the meteor I prayed for it wasn't fallen in that 5 seconds ;-)

You can see the timelapse here:
https://cacahuet.es/docs/2016/video-tim ... alba-burgo

Thank you all for the congratulations

--
Fernando Cabrerizo
http://cacahuet.es