APOD: Meteor before Galaxy (2016 Aug 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Meteor before Galaxy (2016 Aug 17)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:05 am

Image Meteor before Galaxy

Explanation: What's that green streak in front of the Andromeda galaxy? A meteor. While photographing the Andromeda galaxy last Friday, near the peak of the Perseid Meteor Shower, a sand-sized rock from deep space crossed right in front of our Milky Way Galaxy's far-distant companion. The small meteor took only a fraction of a second to pass through this 10-degree field. The meteor flared several times while braking violently upon entering Earth's atmosphere. The green color was created, at least in part, by the meteor's gas glowing as it vaporized. Although the exposure was timed to catch a Perseids meteor, the orientation of the imaged streak seems a better match to a meteor from the Southern Delta Aquariids, a meteor shower that peaked a few weeks earlier.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

daddyo
Science Officer

Re: APOD: Meteor before Galaxy (2016 Aug 17)

Post by daddyo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:39 am

I think it's space lightning

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:11 am

APOD Robot wrote:... the orientation of the imaged streak seems a better match to a meteor from the Southern Delta Aquariids, a meteor shower that peaked a few weeks earlier.
Ignoring travel direction, the track alignment is right on the money with Kappa Cygnids which although peaks on ~8/17, actually is active from 8/3 to 8/25. Granted a listed ZHR of ~3 is very low but the track alignment with the radiant is too good to ignore and it misses the Delta Aquariids radiant significantly. I believe a meteor path is a great circle on the celestial sphere, in which case a DA meteor would run almost parallel the M31 (~110° off from the imaged meteor). However, it looks like the meteor may have traveled from top to bottom bottom to top which makes both radiants questionable.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:34 am

The color of the meteor is very green and unchanging. My impression is that most meteor images show the meteors to be generally changing color, and while they may well be green, this sharply yellow-green and unchanging color is one I have not seen in photos before.

Ann
Color Commentator

astrometbcn
Ensign

Post by astrometbcn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:07 am

Hi

The Sony A7s rgb and SX -36 camera monochrome, two at a time? or the meteor was captured by the SX -36 monochrome and then he has painted the green colour??

hamilton1
Ensign

Post by hamilton1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:21 am

omg what a brilliant image.

astrometbcn
Ensign

Post by astrometbcn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:01 am

I do not understand from where the color, if only captured the meteor with monochrome ccd, for now remains only clarify whether he caught the meteor with ccd or if it could also capture also with the dslr rgb.......

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:57 pm

astrometbcn wrote:I do not understand from where the color, if only captured the meteor with monochrome ccd, for now remains only clarify whether he caught the meteor with ccd or if it could also capture also with the dslr rgb.......
You need to learn more before commenting

As he said in his flickr:

Technique: parallel exposure with two imaging systems:
(1) Canon 200mm/F1.8 (open), SX-36, L-pro filter, 240 sec exposure time,
(2) Canon 200mm/F1.8 (open), Sony A7s (CentralDS modded), ISO 3200, IDAS-V4 filter, 90 sec
both on EQ8 mount unguided.
Final image processed with 32 subframes from each system for the galaxy and the stars resulting in a L-RGB image.
Tenerife, 1180 m alt, 2016-08-12 00:45 UT

Astronymus
Science Officer
AKA: Astro

Post by Astronymus » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:57 pm

Could the nearly equal flare burst be caused by rotation of the object?
»Only a dead Earth is a good Earth.«

caliu
Asternaut

Post by caliu » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Hunter wrote:
astrometbcn wrote:I do not understand from where the color, if only captured the meteor with monochrome ccd, for now remains only clarify whether he caught the meteor with ccd or if it could also capture also with the dslr rgb.......
You need to learn more before commenting

As he said in his flickr:

Technique: parallel exposure with two imaging systems:
(1) Canon 200mm/F1.8 (open), SX-36, L-pro filter, 240 sec exposure time,
(2) Canon 200mm/F1.8 (open), Sony A7s (CentralDS modded), ISO 3200, IDAS-V4 filter, 90 sec
both on EQ8 mount unguided.
Final image processed with 32 subframes from each system for the galaxy and the stars resulting in a L-RGB image.
Tenerife, 1180 m alt, 2016-08-12 00:45 UT
Mr Hunter,
Why should we believe?

Jim-1920

Post by Jim-1920 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:30 pm

The link for the larger image has a filetype of "gif." Should be "jpg."

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1608/Me ... h_1948.gif <----

Jim

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:55 pm

Dear astrometbcn,

Why you write in Spanish if I wrote in English, with these moderate ways?

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Serendipity :ssmile:

Great catch but was the show(er) as good as expected :?:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Bellerophon
Ensign

Post by Bellerophon » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:26 pm

It's an astronomical photobomb!

loquin
Asternaut
AKA: nuts33

Post by loquin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:36 pm

The color of the meteor is very green and unchanging. My impression is that most meteor images show the meteors to be generally changing color, and while they may well be green, this sharply yellow-green and unchanging color is one I have not seen in photos before.

Ann
Ann, while it may be rare to photograph them, they do happen... One I saw some time ago flared in green as it appeared, then the trail looked like an unchanging brilliant green bar until it died. The other thing to remember here, is that with the photo shown, the path of the meteor only covers about 5-6 degrees of the sky top-to-bottom, so we're probably only seeing a portion, possibly a small portion, of the entire meteor track. That being the case, the chances of seeing a color change in the reduced portion of the total track is also reduced.

No hunter

Post by No hunter » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:40 pm

:P

No hunter

Post by No hunter » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:45 pm

That sounds like a witch on her broomstick :lol2: :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:23 pm

loquin wrote:

Ann
Ann, while it may be rare to photograph them, they do happen... One I saw some time ago flared in green as it appeared, then the trail looked like an unchanging brilliant green bar until it died. The other thing to remember here, is that with the photo shown, the path of the meteor only covers about 5-6 degrees of the sky top-to-bottom, so we're probably only seeing a portion, possibly a small portion, of the entire meteor track. That being the case, the chances of seeing a color change in the reduced portion of the total track is also reduced.
That's true. We only saw the meteor cross Andromeda, and Andromeda isn't that large in the sky (although it isn't that small either).

Ann
Color Commentator

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:45 pm

"...and they called him, "the streeeeaakk.."

Song from the 70's, I think...

Really great shot...

:---[===] *

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:23 pm

Andromeda should consider herself fortunate, If the track had been even slightly different (viewpoint anyway) Her heart would have been pierced

Maksu70
Asternaut

Post by Maksu70 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:38 pm

It seems to me very unlikely a meteor path so much perpendicular to M31, so near the center and with the blast happenning symetrically at both sides of M31

Can this photo be a composition?

If the meteor happens at 100km of height, does this means that if the photographer had chossen a place 2 km away he would had missed the photo?
(100km*tan(1 degree)=1,7 km
Does the radiant concept for a meteor shower imply the above calculation is wrong?

Can be calculated the probability that for a person that is photographying M31, a so centered, perpendicular ans symetric meteor passes over M31?, then multiplying this probability by the number of photographers on earth we can calculate how fortunately we have been or if we can be skeptical about this is not a composition

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:07 am

Ann wrote:The color of the meteor is very green and unchanging. My impression is that most meteor images show the meteors to be generally changing color, and while they may well be green, this sharply yellow-green and unchanging color is one I have not seen in photos before.
One reason that images show changing color has to do with individual color channels on the sensor being saturated at different points along the path. Another thing to consider is that green in meteors typically is the result of atmospheric oxygen. Shallow meteor paths and meteors that burn up quickly have everything happening in a similar atmospheric regime, and are more likely to show the same color. Those that descend steeply pass through different atmosphere which can result in different colors. Some meteors that show different colors do so because we're also seeing spectral contributions from the meteoroid itself (especially with sporadic, asteroidal material), and different elements burn off at different times, depending on temperature.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:45 am

To all Spanish-speaking friends: Please post in English if you can. It was ok for a few posts in the Mars thread, but I can't read Spanish and I have a very hard time understanding the tone of a post since I know so little of it. Auto translate is not good enough many times and confusion can easily lead to misunderstanding and negative interactions on the forum.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Спасибо

Post by Спасибо » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:30 pm

geckzilla wrote:To all Spanish-speaking friends: Please post in English if you can. It was ok for a few posts in the Mars thread, but I can't read Spanish and I have a very hard time understanding the tone of a post since I know so little of it. Auto translate is not good enough many times and confusion can easily lead to misunderstanding and negative interactions on the forum.

Да , с английского на русский язык является достаточно сложным делом , не бросать испанский в на вершине этого .

Astronymus
Science Officer
AKA: Astro

Post by Astronymus » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:14 pm

Спасибо wrote:
geckzilla wrote:To all Spanish-speaking friends: Please post in English if you can. It was ok for a few posts in the Mars thread, but I can't read Spanish and I have a very hard time understanding the tone of a post since I know so little of it. Auto translate is not good enough many times and confusion can easily lead to misunderstanding and negative interactions on the forum.

Да , с английского на русский язык является достаточно сложным делом , не бросать испанский в на вершине этого .
Volltreffer. Nicht jeder spricht zwanzig oder mehr Fremdsprachen. In einem englischsprachigen Forum sollte man auch bei Englisch bleiben.
»Only a dead Earth is a good Earth.«