APOD: The Launch of OSIRIS-REx (2016 Sep 10)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The Launch of OSIRIS-REx (2016 Sep 10)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:07 am

Image The Launch of OSIRIS-REx

Explanation: Near sunset on Thursday, clear skies saw the launch of the OSIRIS-REx spacecraft. Sporting a single solid rocket booster, its Atlas V vehicle blasts off from Cape Canaveral's Complex 41 in this low, wide-angle view toward launch pad and setting Sun. OSIRIS-REx is bound for Bennu, scheduled to encounter the mountain-sized asteroid in 2018. First the spacecraft will swing back by home world planet Earth though, for a gravity assist maneuver to boost it on its way. After a detailed survey of Bennu OSIRIS-REx will collect a sample from the asteroid's surface in 2020 and bring it home, returning to Earth in 2023. If all goes well it will be the largest sample returned by a space mission since the Apollo era.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: APOD: The Launch of OSIRIS-REx (2016 Sep 10)

Post by bystander » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:44 am

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Redbone
Ensign

Post by Redbone » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:33 am

I wonder how the asymmetric thrust is balanced?

FLPhotoCatcher
Science Officer

Post by FLPhotoCatcher » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:44 pm

Redbone wrote:I wonder how the asymmetric thrust is balanced?
It looks like the rocket nozzle is turned to the side a bit to balance the rocket. In other words, the computer is auto-balancing the rocket, so the nozzle was temporarily swiveled. A video of the launch would prove or disprove my idea.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:47 pm

Redbone wrote:
I wonder how the asymmetric thrust is balanced?
The non-solid rocket motors are direction-ally adjustable such that the total thrust can always be directed toward the center of gravity at any given time for zero torque.
Art Neuendorffer

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm

neufer wrote:
Redbone wrote: I wonder how the asymmetric thrust is balanced?
The non-solid rocket motors are direction-ally adjustable such that the total thrust can always be directed toward the center of gravity at any given time for zero torque.
If you're trying to go straight, zero torque is the goal, of course. But perhaps for this launch they were starting to lean over, to achieve the correct orbital insertion.

Rob

Very Sirius

Post by Very Sirius » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:37 pm

I fail to understand the benefit and opportunity of sending a space robot to pick up samples from an asteroid and bring them back to the Earth for analysis. The Earth is riddled with meteorites and interstellar dust continually. Surely such material reveals evidence of the Earth's history and a prediction of things to happen. Don't go to the asteroids - let them come to you. A kilometer wide asteroid would make a fine display piece in any museum.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:00 pm

Very Sirius wrote:
I fail to understand the benefit and opportunity of sending a space robot to pick up samples from an asteroid and bring them back to the Earth for analysis. The Earth is riddled with meteorites and interstellar dust continually. Surely such material reveals evidence of the Earth's history and a prediction of things to happen. Don't go to the asteroids - let them come to you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provenance_(geology) wrote:
<<Provenance (from the French provenir, "to come from"), is the chronology of the ownership, custody or location of a historical object... In geology (specifically, in sedimentary petrology), the term provenance dealt with question where the sediments came from and how they got to the place they are today.>>
Art Neuendorffer

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:27 am

Darn, first WR104 is pointed at us and now Benu might be aimed at us. Time to buy a Harley Davidson and go riding
Wolf Kotenberg