APOD: East to West, Light and Shadow (2016 Nov 26)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: East to West, Light and Shadow (2016 Nov 26)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:08 am

Image East to West, Light and Shadow

Explanation: On this November morning an old crescent Moon and morning star rise just before the Sun in a wide panoramic skyscape from Kenya's Amboseli National Park. Still below the limbs of an acacia tree and the eastern horizon, the Sun's position is easy to find though. It's marked at the left by the subtle convergence of light and shadow in the dawn sky. Known as crepuscular rays, the warm-colored rays of sunlight are outlined by shadows cast by unseen clouds near the horizon. Arcing above the profile of Mount Kilimanjaro, toward the right the rays of light and shadow converge at the western horizon. There known as anti-crepuscular rays, they indicate the point opposite the rising sun. The cloud shadows are very nearly parallel, but converge toward the distant horizons because of perspective.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

xmetman

Re: APOD: East to West, Light and Shadow (2016 Nov 26)

Post by xmetman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:11 am

Surely if these are anticrepuscular rays then that photo surely is looking at the western horizon, because anticrepuscular rays are seen on the opposite horizon to the sun, and in the morning even in Africa the sun still rises in the east?

Of course if this is the eastern horizon, then this must be a sunset rather than a sunrise, and the sun is in the west and the anticrepuscular rays are on the eastern horizon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticrepu ... ]Wikipedia

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:36 am

APOD Robot wrote:On this November morning an old crescent Moon and morning star rise just before the Sun in a wide panoramic skyscape
Hard to see the Moon and Venus in the wide field, but they are in there.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:54 pm

xmetman wrote:Surely if these are anticrepuscular rays then that photo surely is looking at the western horizon, because anticrepuscular rays are seen on the opposite horizon to the sun, and in the morning even in Africa the sun still rises in the east?

Of course if this is the eastern horizon, then this must be a sunset rather than a sunrise, and the sun is in the west and the anticrepuscular rays are on the eastern horizon.
This isn't the western horizon. This isn't the eastern horizon. This is the entire horizon- nearly a 360° panorama. The eastern dawn sky and its crepuscular rays are at the left. Kilimanjaro is left of center and nearly due south. Anti-crepuscular rays converge on the antisolar point on the western horizon right of center.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:49 pm

Interesting image

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:30 pm

looks flocculent in the east
Wolf Kotenberg

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Chris, I think it is more like an 180° panorama since it is east to south to west. Or 200° since there is a little extra at west point.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:40 pm

De58te wrote:Chris, I think it is more like an 180° panorama since it is east to south to west. Or 200° since there is a little extra at west point.
On closer examination, I think it is exactly 360°, given that the distance between the solar and antisolar point is half the width of the entire frame, and the fact that the imagery on the left edge stitches into the imagery on the right edge.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

rwlott
Ensign

Post by rwlott » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:09 pm

Would someone please correct the "there, their, they're" grammatical error in the next to last sentence in the description for this APOD.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:32 pm

rwlott wrote:Would someone please correct the "there, their, they're" grammatical error in the next to last sentence in the description for this APOD.
Not necessarily a mistake. The sentence that begins...
There known as anti-crepuscular rays, ... .
... could be interpreted as...
[Those things, when they are over there, are] known as anti-crepuscular rays, ... .
So I'd say the sentence contains correct, if difficult to parse, English usage.

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:38 pm

rstevenson wrote:So I'd say the sentence contains correct, if difficult to parse, English usage.
I didn't find it difficult to parse given the symmetry of the definitions...
...in the dawn sky. Known as crepuscular rays,... converge at the western horizon. There known as anti-crepuscular rays...
I suppose it might be a little clearer to say "Known there", but still, I read it properly the first time.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:49 pm

rstevenson wrote:
rwlott wrote:
Would someone please correct the "there, their, they're" grammatical error in the next to last sentence in the description for this APOD.
Not necessarily a mistake.
There known as anti-crepuscular rays, ... .
... could be interpreted as...
[Those things, when they are over there, are] known as anti-crepuscular rays, ... .
  • I, myself, am notorious over here for calling them anti-crepulescent rays (from time to time).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Stein wrote: <<Gertrude Stein (February 3, 1874 – July 27, 1946) was an American novelist, poet, playwright, and art collector. Born in the Allegheny West neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and raised in Oakland, California, Stein moved to Paris in 1903, and made France her home for the remainder of her life.

Gertrude Stein wrote about Oakland in her 1937 book Everybody's Autobiography: "There is no there there," Stein wrote on learning that the neighborhood where she lived as a child had been torn down to make way for an industrial park. The quote is sometimes misconstrued to refer to Oakland as a whole.>>
Art Neuendorffer