APOD: GOES-16: Moon over Planet Earth (2017 Jan 26)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: GOES-16: Moon over Planet Earth (2017 Jan 26)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:09 am

Image GOES-16: Moon over Planet Earth

Explanation: Launched last November 19 from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, the satellite now known as GOES-16 can now observe planet Earth from a geostationary orbit 22,300 miles above the equator. Its Advanced Baseline Imager captured this contrasting view of Earth and a gibbous Moon on January 15. The stark and airless Moon is not really the focus of GOES-16, though. Capable of providing a high resolution full disk image of Earth every 15 minutes in 16 spectral channels, the new generation satellite's instrumentation is geared to provide sharper, more detailed views of Earth's dynamic weather systems and enable more accurate weather forecasting. Like previous GOES weather satellites, GOES-16 will use the moon over our fair planet as a calibration target.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: GOES-16: Moon over Planet Earth (2017 Jan 26)

Post by Ann » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:35 am

Nice photo!

It brings out both the brightness and the color contrast between the Earth and the Moon very well. At least, I don't think the Moon has been artificially brightened here, but I didn't check to make sure...

Ann
Color Commentator

chadair
Asternaut

Post by chadair » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:02 am

Great example of the reddish tint of the moon (warm toned, not cool toned). It looks like the Earth has an edge mask applied; I would have expected to see a fuzzy limb of our planet.

gadieid
Ensign

Post by gadieid » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:42 am

Very nice photo. While the moon looks more or less the same as many other photos from Earth the background makes this image unique. I wrote a post with a collection of Earth from Space photos, and while this is from near space, I added it.
Gadi Eidelheit
My astronomy blog:Astronomy4You

madtom1999
Ensign

Post by madtom1999 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:26 am

This may sound like a joke but it really isnt:
Soon these pictures will be kept from the public domain because they show weather and will be 'audited' by Trump.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:00 pm

Gee, that looks like the Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver Island, and Washington and Oregon States....Which is where I live...

Awesome image...

:---[===] *

awmeyer

Post by awmeyer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm

I agree with chadair, there is something wrong with Earth's limb. In an image with such good resolution and dynamic range, the Earth's limb (horizon) should look more realistic than that. The foreshortening of clouds near the apparent limb also suggests it has been masked or cut off. MIght lead some to suspect the reality of the whole thing.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:52 am

madtom1999 wrote:This may sound like a joke but it really isnt:
Soon these pictures will be kept from the public domain because they show weather and will be 'audited' by Trump.
The weather does look bad.
Mark Goldfain

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Wow, that is a fascinating image. :clap:

It took me a while though to find that GOES stands for Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellites. I also found that GOES-16 was originally called GOES-R but once a GOES satellite is in geostationary orbit it is then given a number.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:31 pm

awmeyer wrote:
chadair wrote:
Great example of the reddish tint of the moon (warm toned, not cool toned). It looks like the Earth has an edge mask applied; I would have expected to see a fuzzy limb of our planet.
I agree with chadair, there is something wrong with Earth's limb. In an image with such good resolution and dynamic range, the Earth's limb (horizon) should look more realistic than that. The foreshortening of clouds near the apparent limb also suggests it has been masked or cut off. MIght lead some to suspect the reality of the whole thing.
One is looking pretty far North into the Polar Night of January 15.

They tried to adjust for the fading light as best they could but at some point they simply gave up and put in a mask.

It's a PR 'photo' not a scientific one.
Art Neuendorffer

Astronymus
Science Officer
AKA: Astro

Post by Astronymus » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:19 pm

MarkBour wrote:
madtom1999 wrote:This may sound like a joke but it really isnt:
The weather does look bad.
I fear for the scientists in the future U.S. ...
»Only a dead Earth is a good Earth.«

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:20 pm

https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/content/goes-16-image-gallery wrote: GOES-16 and GOES-13 Earth Photo Comparison from Jan 15, 2017.

With five-times greater coverage, four-times the spatial resolution, and three-times the spectral channels than earlier generations of GOES-16's Advanced Baseline Imager can provide more detailed imagery and multi-task in ways that previous GOES imagers could not. For proof of that, consider the following image comparing full-disk images captured by two NOAA satellites -- GOES-16 and GOES-13 -- at the same time on the same day: 1:07 p.m. EST on January 15, 2017.

On the left is a color-composite full-disk image from NOAA's newest geostationary weather satellite GOES-16 (located at 89.5 degrees West longitude), which was created by combining data from the ABI's 16 spectral channels. By comparison, the imager aboard GOES-13 has just five spectral channels, and their data cannot be combined to produce color composites with this "true color" effect without the inclusion of additional data sets.

In addition to offering more channels, the ABI can provide a full disk image of the Earth every 15 minutes, one of the continental U.S. every five minutes, and has the ability to target regional areas where severe weather, hurricanes, wildfires, volcanic eruptions or other high-impact environmental phenomena are occurring as often as every 30 seconds.
Art Neuendorffer

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:46 pm

neufer wrote:With five-times greater coverage, four-times the spatial resolution, and three-times the spectral channels than earlier generations ... In addition to offering more channels, the ABI can provide a full disk image of the Earth every 15 minutes, one of the continental U.S. every five minutes, and has the ability to target regional areas where severe weather, hurricanes, wildfires, volcanic eruptions or other high-impact environmental phenomena are occurring as often as every 30 seconds.
I'll take the newer model then!
Capture.png
Mark Goldfain