APOD: Approach above Sunset (2017 May 02)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Approach above Sunset (2017 May 02)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue May 02, 2017 4:09 am

Image Approach above Sunset

Explanation: There it is! The Cygnus supply ship was a welcome sight to the astronauts on the International Space Station just over a week ago. Launched three days before on a United Launch Alliance Atlas V from Cape Canaveral, Florida, the Orbital ATK's Cygnus spacecraft approached the International Space Station above the backdrop of a picturesque planet Earth. The Sun was setting off the image to the upper left, illuminating clouds well below the approaching vehicle. The robotic Cygnus spacecraft was captured first on camera and later with the space station's Canadarm2 by ESA's Flight Engineer Thomas Pesquet and NASA's Expedition-51 Commander Peggy Whitson. Commander Whitson, a biochemist, has now set a new American record for the most total days in space. Besides essentials, the Cygnus carried equipment to bolster over 200 science experiments being conducted on the football-field sized Earth-orbiting outpost.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

saturno2
Commander

Re: APOD: Approach above Sunset (2017 May 02)

Post by saturno2 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:40 am

Interesting image

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue May 02, 2017 9:18 am

saturno2 wrote:Interesting image
It is - it looks like a kind of ship, sailing, or floating, across a cosmic sea. And that, of course, is exactly what it is!

Good to hear from you, Saturno!

Ann
Color Commentator

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Amazing, zero to 17000 mph plus perfectly tied, over and over again.
Wolf Kotenberg

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue May 02, 2017 3:37 pm

ta152h0 wrote:Amazing, zero to 17000 mph plus perfectly tied, over and over again.
And yet, nothing but simple Newtonian and Keplerian math... arithmetic, really... that any 15-year old should be able to work out. (Not to discount the complex engineering problems that needed to be solved, but the Universe really doesn't seem to be all that complicated.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue May 02, 2017 3:46 pm

ta152h0 wrote:Amazing, zero to 17000 mph plus perfectly tied, over and over again.
I agree, it is amazing. And hopefully we'll never have a serious problem with it.

I guess Peggy Whitson is closing in on 2 years in space (542 days and counting). Based on the other articles I read about unsolved physiological effects, I didn't know that was possible. And she is not particularly young, but she's still going strong. Impressive!
Mark Goldfain

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:03 pm

politicas and religion is a burensome thing if you aspire to be an engineer scientist. And I know what Frank Borman quoted while flying around the moon on that Christmas day.. A clear mind is an awesome thing.
Wolf Kotenberg

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Tue May 02, 2017 4:13 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
And yet, nothing but simple Newtonian and Keplerian math... arithmetic, really... that any 15-year old should be able to work out. (Not to discount the complex engineering problems that needed to be solved, but the Universe really doesn't seem to be all that complicated.)
Apart from the clocks!
John

sillyworm
Ensign

Post by sillyworm » Tue May 02, 2017 4:39 pm

somehow this image reminds me of a pop bottle vending machine.....

brojo
Asternaut

Post by brojo » Tue May 02, 2017 5:09 pm

The blue in the background, behind the clouds. Is that the ocean?
Do we know how far away Cygnus was from the camera at the time of this picture?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue May 02, 2017 5:28 pm

brojo wrote:Do we know how far away Cygnus was from the camera at the time of this picture?
Based on the camera (pixel size 7.3 microns) and lens (70 mm focal length), and the size of the Cygnus (3.07 x 6.3 m), I'd put the distance at about 250 meters.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

brojo
Asternaut

Post by brojo » Tue May 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
brojo wrote:Do we know how far away Cygnus was from the camera at the time of this picture?
Based on the camera (pixel size 7.3 microns) and lens (70 mm focal length), and the size of the Cygnus (3.07 x 6.3 m), I'd put the distance at about 250 meters.
Thank you for the answer!
250 meters is closer than I would've imagined. (I thought maybe it was zoomed)

warmingwarmingwarming
Science Officer

Post by warmingwarmingwarming » Tue May 02, 2017 8:36 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
But it took mankind thousands of years of learning to get this far.
I think I think, though I'm not sure if I all the thoughts I think I think, or if they come to me from .. goodness knows where. :)

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Tue May 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Sunset from above is soooooooo romantic too....

:---[===] *

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 pm

warmingwarmingwarming wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
But it took mankind thousands of years of learning to get this far.
Not exactly. For most of our existence we learned nearly nothing about the Universe. It took mankind thousands of years to learn how to learn. Once that happened, everything else has come very, very quickly.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:28 pm

Off topic
Thank you, Ann

warmingwarmingwarming
Science Officer

Post by warmingwarmingwarming » Wed May 03, 2017 12:58 am

saturno2 wrote:Off topic
Thank you, Ann
It seems (?) Chris and I are being warned we are off topic?? So I sent you a private message, Chris.
I think I think, though I'm not sure if I all the thoughts I think I think, or if they come to me from .. goodness knows where. :)

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed May 03, 2017 1:37 am

saturno2 wrote:
Off topic

Thank you, Ann
It seems (?) Chris and I are being warned we are off topic?? So I sent you a private message, Chris.
Is your name Ann :?:

(You'll know when you've been slapped on the hand.
It comes as a private message from one of the moderators.)
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed May 03, 2017 4:31 am

Thank you, Ann
No, I don't think so. Topicality isn't a big deal around here, as long as it's sane and civil.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

thayer

Post by thayer » Wed May 03, 2017 1:37 pm

It looks like a copepod, with the antennae, eye and some of the innards. The fact that it is pictured above the ocean is appropriate also!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed May 03, 2017 2:04 pm

thayer wrote:
It looks like a copepod, with the antennae, eye and some of the innards.
The fact that it is pictured above the ocean is appropriate also!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copepod wrote:

<<Copepods (meaning "oar-feet") are a group of small crustaceans found in the sea and nearly every freshwater habitat. Some species are planktonic (drifting in sea waters), some are benthic (living on the ocean floor), and some continental species may live in limnoterrestrial habitats and other wet terrestrial places, such as swamps, under leaf fall in wet forests, bogs, springs, ephemeral ponds, and puddles, damp moss, or water-filled recesses (phytotelmata) of plants such as bromeliads and pitcher plants. Many live underground in marine and freshwater caves, sinkholes, or stream beds.

The second pair of cephalic appendages in free-living copepods is usually the main time-averaged source of propulsion, beating like oars to pull the animal through the water. Some copepods have extremely fast escape responses when a predator is sensed and can jump with high speed over a few millimetres. Many species have neurons surrounded by myelin (for increased conduction speed), which is very rare among invertebrates. Even rarer, the myelin is highly organized, resembling the well-organized wrapping found in vertebrates (Gnathostomata). Despite their fast escape response, copepods are successfully hunted by slow-swimming seahorses, which approach their prey so gradually, it senses no turbulence, then suck the copepod into their snout too suddenly for the copepod to escape.

Copepods feed directly on phytoplankton, catching cells singly. Some of the larger species are predators of their smaller relatives. Many benthic copepods eat organic detritus or the bacteria that grow in it, and their mouth parts are adapted for scraping and biting. Herbivorous copepods, particularly those in rich, cold seas, store up energy from their food as oil droplets while they feed in the spring and summer on plankton blooms. These droplets may take up over half of the volume of their bodies in polar species. Many copepods (e.g., fish lice) are parasites, and feed on their host organisms.>>
http://ssep.ncesse.org/communities/experiments-selected-for-flight/selected-experiments-on-ssep-mission-3-to-iss/ wrote:
<<The Student Spaceflight Experiments Program is proud to report that there were a total of 1,466 proposals submitted from student teams participating in Mission 3 to ISS—the greatest number of proposals received for a SSEP flight opportunity to date. On November 27-28, 2012, the Step 2 Review Board met at the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum, reviewed all 51 finalist proposals, and selected a total of 17 flight experiments. All 51 finalist experiment teams are provided below:

HONORABLE MENTION FINALISTS:
Copepod Growth in Microgravity
Grade 8, Wilde Lake Middle School
Co-Principal Investigators: Cyrus Jenkins and Calvin Kuang
Teacher Facilitators: Damisha Drakes and Douglas Spicher, Science Teachers

Proposal Summary: Our SSEP proposal is to see how copepod growth is affected in micro gravity. We are doing this because copepods are the base of many food chains and if they can survive, then other life may be able to as well. If this works, humanity may be able to create entire ecosystems in space and perhaps retrieve food from fish farms and such. Not to mention we will also be able to possible generate oxygen in the depths of space. Copepods are a type of zooplankton and their diet includes microscopic algae, diatoms, and bacteria. In space, we plan to keep them alive by putting algae in ampoules and having the astronaut break those ampoules in order to feed the copepods. Once the copepods return to Earth, we will analyze their growth as well as how many of them remain. Then, we will compare these test results to those we’ve gathered on Earth.
Art Neuendorffer

warmingwarmingwarming
Science Officer

Post by warmingwarmingwarming » Wed May 03, 2017 11:10 pm

neufer wrote:
saturno2 wrote:
Off topic

Thank you, Ann
Is your name Ann :?:

(You'll know when you've been slapped on the hand.
It comes as a private message from one of the moderators.)
Nope, my name is not Ann, though my eldest daughter's middle name is Anne, but I thought someone was thanking Ann for notifying them of off topic. The question marks in my sentence are there to indicate my uncertainness off my understanding of the message.

warmingwarmingwarming
Science Officer

Post by warmingwarmingwarming » Wed May 03, 2017 11:12 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Thank you, Ann
No, I don't think so. Topicality isn't a big deal around here, as long as it's sane and civil.
'Sane?' 'Sanity.' And who is to define those words? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. (Oops.)