APOD: A Zodiacal Sky over Horseshoe Bend (2017 May 22)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Zodiacal Sky over Horseshoe Bend (2017 May 22)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon May 22, 2017 4:08 am

Image A Zodiacal Sky over Horseshoe Bend

Explanation: What's causing the unusual ray of white light extending upward from the central horizon? Dust orbiting the Sun. At certain times of the year, a band of sun-reflecting dust from the inner Solar System rises prominently before sunrise and is called zodiacal light. The dust originates mostly from faint Jupiter-family comets and slowly spirals into the Sun. Pictured, in front of the zodiacal light, is a spectacular view of Horseshoe Bend of the Colorado River. Emitted from well behind the zodiacal light is a spectacular sky that includes many bright stars including Sirius, several blue star clusters including the Pleiades, and an assortment of red nebula including Barnard's Loop in Orion. The 30-image composite was taken earlier this month in nearly complete darkness only six inches from the edge of a dangerous cliff.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Re: APOD: A Zodiacal Sky over Horseshoe Bend (2017 May 22)

Post by Nitpicker » Mon May 22, 2017 4:43 am

Amazing and beautiful APOD.

Based on the position of Mars (between the Hyades and the Pleiades), it was recorded looking westward after sunset, on 25-April-2017.

drlane
Ensign

Post by drlane » Mon May 22, 2017 5:48 am

Nitpicker wrote:Amazing and beautiful APOD.

Based on the position of Mars (between the Hyades and the Pleiades), it was recorded looking westward after sunset, on 25-April-2017.
Don't have my notes I'm shooting in middle of nowhere Utah right now but I think you are exactly right.

Thanks for the kind words!

Dave

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Mon May 22, 2017 8:41 am

I love seeing Barnard's Loop so distinctly!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 22, 2017 9:21 am

Beautiful!

I saw this image in the Recent Submissions thread recently, and considered writing a comment on the beauty of it. I didn't get around to it, so I'll say how much I like it here instead! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

NCTom

Post by NCTom » Mon May 22, 2017 11:04 am

Awesome pic and thanks for the overlay info.

TeresaCS
Asternaut

Post by TeresaCS » Mon May 22, 2017 1:36 pm

Beautiful picture and I really appreciate the "dangerous cliff" information.
It made my day. :)

FLPhotoCatcher
Science Officer

Post by FLPhotoCatcher » Mon May 22, 2017 2:04 pm

It's cool how Horseshoe Bend echos Barnard's Loop.
But that brings up a question... Isn't Barnard's Loop more of a horseshoe? Or is it a full circle (or sphere) that is partially obscured?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon May 22, 2017 2:15 pm

FLPhotoCatcher wrote:
heehaw wrote:
I love seeing Barnard's Loop so distinctly!
It's cool how Horseshoe Bend echos Barnard's Loop.
Isn't Barnard's Loop more of a horseshoe?
Or is it a full circle (or sphere) that is partially obscured?
It's actually part of the Fudgie the Whale Nebula.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 22, 2017 2:40 pm

FLPhotoCatcher wrote:It's cool how Horseshoe Bend echos Barnard's Loop.
But that brings up a question... Isn't Barnard's Loop more of a horseshoe? Or is it a full circle (or sphere) that is partially obscured?
Orion. Photo: Stanislav Volskiy
This is a very deep picture of Orion (although you need to go here to see the full depth of it). You can see hints that Barnard's Loop traces a full circle (make that a somewhat unaesthetically drawn-out and irregular excuse for a full circle) around the Orion Nebula, the Lambda Orionis cluster near Alnitak and the Horsehead Nebula, and the Belt of Orion.

Ann
Color Commentator

geoffrey.landis
Ensign

Low tolerance for photocomposite

Post by geoffrey.landis » Mon May 22, 2017 2:53 pm

It's a pretty one, but it has moved beyond my tolerance for photocomposites.
The zodiacal light is so extraordinarily faint, there is just no possible way you could see that well-lit view of the lake and cliffs and still see the zodiacal light. This is no longer a case of contrast enhancing; it's really a case of pasting two different pictures together.

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Low tolerance for photocomposite

Post by Ann » Mon May 22, 2017 3:14 pm

geoffrey.landis wrote:It's a pretty one, but it has moved beyond my tolerance for photocomposites.
The zodiacal light is so extraordinarily faint, there is just no possible way you could see that well-lit view of the lake and cliffs and still see the zodiacal light. This is no longer a case of contrast enhancing; it's really a case of pasting two different pictures together.
Note what it says in the caption:
APOD Robot wrote:
The 30-image composite was taken earlier this month in nearly complete darkness only six inches from the edge of a dangerous cliff.
So the picture is a composite. But my guess is that David Lane has taken all the exposures for the picture during the same night, or maybe during a few nights, and under similar lighting conditions.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Low tolerance for photocomposite

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon May 22, 2017 3:19 pm

geoffrey.landis wrote:It's a pretty one, but it has moved beyond my tolerance for photocomposites.
If your eyes could see the zodiacal light or the Ha structures as brightly as this image shows, you could also see the foreground like this. So what we have is a reasonably realistic image that shows the world as we'd see it with enhanced eyes... just like 99% of astrophotos do. And unlike so many APODs, the imager's page clearly describes how the image was made.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

chuckster
Ensign

Post by chuckster » Mon May 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Waiting for a scene in a scifi movie where someone with expanded-spectrum vision looks at the night sky and sees for the first time, without instruments, how crowded with magnificence it really is.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon May 22, 2017 7:16 pm

chuckster wrote:
Waiting for a scene in a scifi movie where someone with expanded-spectrum vision looks at the night sky and sees for the first time, without instruments, how crowded with magnificence it really is.
That would be us...wouldn't it :?:
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon May 22, 2017 10:37 pm

chuckster wrote:Waiting for a scene in a scifi movie where someone with expanded-spectrum vision looks at the night sky and sees for the first time, without instruments, how crowded with magnificence it really is.
I've seen an augmented reality demo of this, using a VR headset. Within the next few years, any of us could have this experience. It's not without instruments, but the existence of those instruments is essentially transparent to us... it is as if we are using our eyes directly.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon May 22, 2017 11:14 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
chuckster wrote:
I've seen an augmented reality demo of this, using a VR headset. Within the next few years, any of us could have this experience. It's not without instruments, but the existence of those instruments is essentially transparent to us... it is as if we are using our eyes directly.
Art Neuendorffer

drlane
Ensign

Post by drlane » Tue May 23, 2017 12:16 am

Ann wrote:
Note what it says in the caption:
APOD Robot wrote:
The 30-image composite was taken earlier this month in nearly complete darkness only six inches from the edge of a dangerous cliff.
So the picture is a composite. But my guess is that David Lane has taken all the exposures for the picture during the same night, or maybe during a few nights, and under similar lighting conditions.

Ann
Ann thanks for the help, I'm out west wandering Utah taking more shots for us astrogeeks. An explanation for those that don't understand.

One the sky was shot first shortly after astronomical dark. The column of light was insanely bright. I think I depicted it exactly as I saw it. I've only seen it this bright one other time in Canyonlands National Park and I've had 100s of nights shooting.

Second I shot the ground immediately after completing the sky. My first try I didn't get the bottom of the river edge. So I moved the tripod to within 6" of the edge to get the shot. I sat holding the tripod leg (wind was blowing into the canyon) and took the ground shot. In the stitch of the ground you can faintly see the California nebula near the horizon so that much time had past.

This is two panoramas shot back to back and then combined. No fudging, no moon, no artificial light. A bit of light from nearby Page on the cliffs beyond. Also if you zoom in you can see 3 boats drawn up on the shore and a small campfire. I didn't see it till processing the image. Made me laugh.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Tue May 23, 2017 1:13 am

Awesome, love the annotation...

:---[===] *

drlane
Ensign

Post by drlane » Tue May 23, 2017 2:21 am

Oh and thanks for all the kind words everyone! :)

Captn Tommy

Post by Captn Tommy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:43 pm

I believe your "dangerous cliff" is actually the Cat's Head Nebula obviously Just above the Northern Pole

Captn Tommy