APOD: Southwest Mare Fecunditatis (2018 Mar 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Southwest Mare Fecunditatis (2018 Mar 03)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:05 am

Image Southwest Mare Fecunditatis

Explanation: Frank Borman, James Lovell, and William Anders journeyed from Earth to the Moon and back again in December of 1968. From lunar orbit, their view of craters in southwest Mare Fecunditatis is featured in this stereo anaglyph, best experienced from armchairs on planet Earth with red/blue glasses. Goclenius is the large impact crater in the foreground. About 70 kilometers (45 miles) in diameter its lava-flooded floor is scarred by rilles or grooves, long, narrow depressions in the surface. Crossing the crater walls and central peaks the rilles were likely formed after the crater itself. In the background, the two large craters with smooth floors are Colombo A (top) and Magelhaens. Magelhaens A, the background crater with the irregular floor, is about 35 kilometers (20 miles) in diameter.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

ta152h0
Schooled

Re: APOD: Southwest Mare Fecunditatis (2018 Mar 03)

Post by ta152h0 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:35 am

Which of the Apollo mission instruments still operating ?
Wolf Kotenberg

Erico

Post by Erico » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:01 pm

The laser reflectors. What I want to know is how the cracks formed in the floor of the crater.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:10 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolph_Goclenius_the_Younger wrote:

<<Rudolph Goclenius the Younger (born Rudolph Göckel; 22 August 1572 in Wittenberg – 3 March 1621 in Marburg) was a German physician and professor of physics, medicine and mathematics at the Philipps University of Marburg. He was the oldest son of Rudolph Goclenius, who was also professor of rhetoric, logic and ethics at Marburg. He is the eponym of the lunar crater Goclenius. Already in 1651, the Jesuits Riccioli/Grimaldi honored him on behalf of his book Urania on astrology and astronomy.

As a physician [Goclenius] worked on cures against the plague. He became famous for his miraculous cure with the "weapon salve" or Powder of Sympathy. Based on the hermetic concepts of Paracelsus he published 1608 the proposition of a "magnetic" cure to heal wounds: the application of the salve on the weapon should heal the wounds afflicted by the weapon. This concept was brought to England by the alchemist Robert Fludd. A famous proponent was Sir Kenelm Digby. Synchronising the effects of the [Powder of Sympathy] (which apparently caused a noticeable effect on the patient when applied) was actually suggested in the leaflet Curious Enquiries in 1687 as a means of solving the longitude problem.>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:16 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Erico wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:01 pm

What I want to know is how the cracks formed in the floor of the crater.
Art Neuendorffer

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:03 am

Erico wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:01 pm The laser reflectors. What I want to know is how the cracks formed in the floor of the crater.
I not sure if Neufer's post explains it... there does not seem to be Scarps inside the crater. I am thinking Degassing. Gasses from volcanic activity of the time of the floor cooling... you have perpendicular fissures, that almost look like water draining, running up from our "bottom" of the crater. and then one across, and then some separate ones in different directions... the Scarping in the video does not appear to show Rilles, or groove, but where something like a Tectonic Plate rose... they do not seem to explain features in a crater.
There are several theories of Lava Tubes that collapsed, or lava flowed, while cooling, but it is obviously not all craters. There are other planets, and moons that have weird rilles, and shrunken places.
Here is an idea...a small or large "Fire Curtain", in a cooling volcanoe... would leave a depressed line... some even here on Earth.
Here is a VERY similar one on EARTH...note the previous "Cut" into the landscape, at a perpendicular angle...
Hot lava "Cuts" into the more cooled and solid material. Thus when it cools, it leaves a Rille...when THIS Curtain of Fire cools...it should leave a perpendicular Rille. Could also be small areas of degassing as well. Gas comes up, and blows off material to the side, and leaves a depression. The other craters just cooled, but did not "crack"...maybe they did not de-gas, or have extra lava activity. But they certainly cooled.

I hope that helps at least...just my idea at the moment, because I wonder about this stuff too.
:---[===] *
Attachments
Puuoorift_L.jpg

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:48 am

Boomer12k wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:03 am
Erico wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:01 pm
What I want to know is how the cracks formed in the floor of the crater.
I not sure if Neufer's post explains it... there does not seem to be Scarps inside the crater. I am thinking Degassing. Gasses from volcanic activity of the time of the floor cooling... you have perpendicular fissures, that almost look like water draining, running up from our "bottom" of the crater. and then one across, and then some separate ones in different directions... the Scarping in the video does not appear to show Rilles, or groove, but where something like a Tectonic Plate rose... they do not seem to explain features in a crater.
  • Degas was a painter of dancers not singers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Degas wrote:
<<Edgar Degas (born Hilaire-Germain-Edgar De Gas; 19 July 1834 – 27 September 1917) was a French artist famous for his paintings, sculptures, prints, and drawings. He is especially identified with the subject of dance; more than half of his works depict dancers.>>
Art Neuendorffer