APOD: Sea and Sky Glows over the Oregon Coast (2018 Aug 28)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Sea and Sky Glows over the Oregon Coast (2018 Aug 28)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:11 am

Image Sea and Sky Glows over the Oregon Coast

Explanation: Every step caused the sand to light up blue. That glow was bioluminescence -- a blue radiance that also lights the surf in this surreal scene captured last month at Meyer's Creek Beach in Oregon, USA. Volcanic stacks dot the foreground sea, while a thin fog layer scatters light on the horizon. The rays of light spreading from the left horizon were created by car headlights on the Oregon Coast Highway (US 101), while the orange light on the right horizon emanates from a fishing boat. Visible far in the distance is the band of our Milky Way Galaxy, appearing to rise from a dark rocky outcrop. Sixteen images were added together to bring up the background Milky Way and to reduce noise.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

PaulMcP
Asternaut

Re: APOD: Sea and Sky Glows over the Oregon Coast (2018 Aug 28)

Post by PaulMcP » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:09 pm

Now that looks gorgeous, nature (and a random car passing by) can create things that look better than any picture with tons of filters..
Oh, well, the fact that 16 pictures are superposed can play a role in the fact it looks like something out of a dream, but still.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Sea and Sky Glows over the Oregon Coast (2018 Aug 28)

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:47 pm

We do have some stunning scenery here in Oregon. I have never been to Meyer's Creek Beach, but as you can see in the video, this is "Oregon Weather"...I did not know we had the blue sea glow here.

Bandon, Oregon is southern coast...and that is probably why I have not been there, but once, so did not know the area. This is way further south towards California. I have not been down that far on the coast.

We have some rugged but nice beaches. Up around Lincoln City, they are long without the rocks. As you go north or south you get more rugged, and rocky...

:---[===] *