APOD: The Heart and Soul Nebulas (2019 Jan 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4436
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: The Heart and Soul Nebulas (2019 Jan 15)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:06 am

Image The Heart and Soul Nebulas

Explanation: Is the heart and soul of our Galaxy located in Cassiopeia? Possibly not, but that is where two bright emission nebulas nicknamed Heart and Soul can be found. The Heart Nebula, officially dubbed IC 1805 and visible in the featured image on the bottom right, has a shape reminiscent of a classical heart symbol. The Soul Nebula is officially designated IC 1871 and is visible on the upper left. Both nebulas shine brightly in the red light of energized hydrogen. Also shown in this three-color montage is light emitted from sulfur, shown in yellow, and oxygen, shown in blue. Several young open clusters of stars are visible near the nebula centers. Light takes about 6,000 years to reach us from these nebulas, which together span roughly 300 light years. Studies of stars and clusters like those found in the Heart and Soul Nebulas have focused on how massive stars form and how they affect their environment.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: The Heart and Soul Nebulas (2019 Jan 15)

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:42 am

It always amazes me to see Oxygen in blue in space images... I keep having to remind myself that it is a "star process"...I just find it amazing for some reason...

:---[===] *

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer
Posts: 4520
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: APOD: The Heart and Soul Nebulas (2019 Jan 15)

Post by starsurfer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Boomer12k wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:42 am
It always amazes me to see Oxygen in blue in space images... I keep having to remind myself that it is a "star process"...I just find it amazing for some reason...

:---[===] *
I love planetary nebulae with OIII.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
Posts: 2524
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am
AKA: Bruce
Location: East Idaho

Re: APOD: The Heart and Soul Nebulas (2019 Jan 15)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:05 pm

'I left my heart in Sagittarius'.
Well, that's where the real heart of the galaxy is. :ssmile:
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

ggergm
Asternaut
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: APOD: The Heart and Soul Nebulas (2019 Jan 15)

Post by ggergm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:14 pm

Although APOD has been my Internet homepage for 20 years, and I save my favorite images as random desktop backgrounds, this is the first time I've felt the need to discuss one.

What is the difference between IC 1871 and IC 1898? APOD has used both designations for the Soul Nebula. I tried using Google as my friend to find the answer but came up bupkis.

Here is a previous APOD that calls the Soul Nebula IC 1898. Today's uses IC 1871.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180821.html

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 20781
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: The Heart and Soul Nebulas (2019 Jan 15)

Post by bystander » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:46 pm

ggergm wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:14 pm

What is the difference between IC 1871 and IC 1898? APOD has used both designations for the Soul Nebula. I tried using Google as my friend to find the answer but came up bupkis.

Here is a previous APOD that calls the Soul Nebula IC 1898. Today's uses IC 1871.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180821.html

IC 1871 doesn't show in today's APOD, but in the APOD you linked to it is the small bright nebula on the extreme left. The Soul Nebula is actually IC 1848.

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/nebulae/ic1805.html
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

DL MARTIN

Re: APOD: The Heart and Soul Nebulas (2019 Jan 15)

Post by DL MARTIN » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 pm

Previous APODs have identified the Heart as being 7500 light years away and the Soul as 6500. Yet today, the combined entities are described as having a common light source that takes 6,000 light years to reach us. why the discrepancy?

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18443
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: The Heart and Soul Nebulas (2019 Jan 15)

Post by neufer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:55 pm

DL MARTIN wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 pm

Previous APODs have identified the Heart as being 7500 light years away and the Soul as 6500. Yet today, the combined entities are described as having a common light source that takes 6,000 light years to reach us. why the discrepancy?
Because that is what http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/nebulae/ic1805.html suggests :?:

(Definitely more detailed if not more accurate than old APODs or Wikipedia.)
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 11562
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: The Heart and Soul Nebulas (2019 Jan 15)

Post by Ann » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:51 pm

neufer wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:55 pm
DL MARTIN wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 pm

Previous APODs have identified the Heart as being 7500 light years away and the Soul as 6500. Yet today, the combined entities are described as having a common light source that takes 6,000 light years to reach us. why the discrepancy?
Because that is what http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/nebulae/ic1805.html suggests :?:

(Definitely more detailed if not more accurate than old APODs or Wikipedia.)
My impression is that modern revisions of earlier distance estimates have often put the objects closer to us than previously thought.

Let's hope that Gaia can resolve the matter.

Ann
Color Commentator