APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 5369
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:06 am

Image Shadow of a Martian Robot

Explanation: What if you saw your shadow on Mars and it wasn't human? Then you might be the Opportunity rover currently exploring Mars. Opportunity explored the red planet from 2004 to 2018, finding evidence of ancient water, and sending breathtaking images across the inner Solar System. Pictured here in 2004, Opportunity looks opposite the Sun into Endurance Crater and sees its own shadow. Two wheels are visible on the lower left and right, while the floor and walls of the unusual crater are visible in the background. Caught in a dust storm in 2018, last week NASA stopped try contact Opportunity and declare the ground-breaking mission, originally planned for only 92 days, complete.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

User avatar
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Lancaster, England

Re: APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by JohnD » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:14 am

Strange pic! Looks as if Oppo is on ice, not a dust-dry Marscape. Why is the ground so reflective?
John

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 8200
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:11 pm

Kinda reminds me of Disney movie 'Black Hole' ending! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18174
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:24 pm

APOD Robot wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:06 am What if you saw your shadow on Mars and it wasn't human? Then you might be the Opportunity rover currently formerly exploring Mars.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Lancaster, England

Re: APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by JohnD » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:44 pm

Surely, Chris, Oppo IS "currently exploring Mars", just in a different direction to the normal four dimensions?

John

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by Fred the Cat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Unlike on the moon, the tracks of our rovers will soon be covered in dust. How long that might take is fictionalized but study of Martian regolith formation is already deeply underway thanks to years on the surface.

Perhaps Opportunity’s shadow will remain long enough to be photographed side-by-side with a human’s someday in an APOD in the future. :?:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by neufer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:50 pm

Fred the Cat wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:03 pm
Unlike on the moon, the tracks of our rovers will soon be have already been covered in dust.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by Fred the Cat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:38 pm

neufer wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:50 pm
Fred the Cat wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:03 pm
Unlike on the moon, the tracks of our rovers will soon be have already been covered in dust.
:bang: So much for the "ground-breaking mission". :wink:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
RJN
Baffled Boffin
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Michigan Tech

Re: APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by RJN » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:57 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:24 pm
APOD Robot wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:06 am What if you saw your shadow on Mars and it wasn't human? Then you might be the Opportunity rover currently formerly exploring Mars.
Thanks. Fixed it. Also fixed a typo in the last sentence on the NASA APOD site.

- RJN

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by neufer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:18 pm

RJN wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:57 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:24 pm
APOD Robot wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:06 am
What if you saw your shadow on Mars and it wasn't human? Then you might be the Opportunity rover currently formerly exploring Mars.
Thanks. Fixed it. Also fixed a typo in the last sentence on the NASA APOD site. - RJN
Well...we don't really know that Opportunity has actually stopped exploring Mars...just that it has stopped talking to us.

Opportunity could have been instructed (like HAL) to go rogue (if necessary) to continue its important mission.
Art Neuendorffer

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by Boomer12k » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:57 pm

The "little rover that could"...is now "the little rover that DID"....

Have a nice rest Opportunity....someday you will be in the "Mars Museum"...

:---[===] *

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by Fred the Cat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:08 pm

neufer wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:18 pm
RJN wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:57 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:24 pm
Thanks. Fixed it. Also fixed a typo in the last sentence on the NASA APOD site. - RJN
Well...we don't really know that Opportunity has actually stopped exploring Mars...just that it has stopped talking to us.

Opportunity could have been instructed (like HAL) to go rogue (if necessary) to continue its important mission.
We could see evidence of dust devils in the area. :ssmile:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Avalon

Re: APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by Avalon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:33 pm

What is the most likely explanation; Opportunity can no longer operate due to exhaustion of power because dust has covered solar cells, the entire rover is buried in sand, sand clogged moving parts, all of these?

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18174
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Shadow of a Martian Robot (2019 Feb 17)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Avalon wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:33 pm What is the most likely explanation; Opportunity can no longer operate due to exhaustion of power because dust has covered solar cells, the entire rover is buried in sand, sand clogged moving parts, all of these?
The problem appears to be entirely caused by inadequate power.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com