APOD: Stereo Eros (2021 Feb 13)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Stereo Eros (2021 Feb 13)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:05 am

Image Stereo Eros

Explanation: Get out your red/blue glasses and float next to asteroid 433 Eros. Orbiting the Sun once every 1.8 years, the near-Earth asteroid is named for the Greek god of love. Still, its shape more closely resembles a lumpy potato than a heart. Eros is a diminutive 40 x 14 x 14 kilometer world of undulating horizons, craters, boulders and valleys. Its unsettling scale and unromantic shape are emphasized in this mosaic of images from the NEAR Shoemaker spacecraft processed to yield a stereo anaglyphic view. Along with dramatic chiaroscuro, NEAR Shoemaker's 3-D imaging provided important measurements of the asteroid's landforms and structures, and clues to the origin of this city-sized chunk of Solar System. The smallest features visible here are about 30 meters across. Beginning on February 14, 2000, historic NEAR Shoemaker spent a year in orbit around Eros, the first spacecraft to orbit an asteroid. Twenty years ago, on February 12 2001, it landed on Eros, the first ever landing on an asteroid's surface. NEAR Shoemaker's final transmission from the surface of Eros was on February 28, 2001.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

VictorBorun
Captain

Re: APOD: Stereo Eros (2021 Feb 13)

Post by VictorBorun » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:05 pm

lumpy potato?
I think I see a pair of lumps glued together.
It seems the 3 to 300 km bodies are mostly two-lobed.
Like the gas molecules in the Earth atmosphere: O₂, N₂ .

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:06 pm

If this is an example of dramatic chiaroscuro, then I'd hate to imagine what lackluster chiaroscuro looks like!

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:32 pm

If it's potato, it originated in America

staarstruk

Post by staarstruk » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:56 pm

asteroid eros would make a fyne exhibit in any museum

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:58 pm

PIA02471_800.jpg

Walmart was giving away free red and blue year when some bit was playing at the movies! I took a few and I still use them! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

rwlott
Ensign

Post by rwlott » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:28 pm

In my search of the APOD archive, I see that this Stereo Eros post has appeared four times. The first was in February 2000, 21 years ago—an oldie but goodie!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:43 pm

Cross-eyed non-anaglyph for those without glasses or who prefer this format.
_
PIA02471_800_crossed.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:55 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:32 pm
If it's potato, it originated in America
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato wrote:
<<Genetic testing of the wide variety of cultivars and wild species affirms that all potato subspecies derive from a single origin in the area of present-day southern Peru and extreme Northwestern Bolivia. Potatoes were introduced to Europe from the Americas in the second half of the 16th century by the Spanish.>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_Potato_Museum wrote:
<<The Idaho Potato Museum is a museum devoted to the potato, located in Blackfoot, Idaho. The museum's exhibits include the world's largest potato chip, measuring 25 and 14 inches big, and a timeline history of potato consumption in the US (including the introduction of fries to the White House menu selection during the presidency of Thomas Jefferson).>>
Art Neuendorffer

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:06 pm

I started watching “ The Expanse” and Eros plays in the plot. The show reminds me of the Mars Trilogy in the fight over resources within the solar system.

Meanwhile, back on Earth, Bojo takes over a snow pile lured there by his favorite biscuit. :ssmile:
Bojo in Snow.jpg
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:03 pm

Fred the Cat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:06 pm I started watching “ The Expanse” and Eros plays in the plot. The show reminds me of the Mars Trilogy in the fight over resources within the solar system.

Meanwhile, back on Earth, Bojo takes over a snow pile lured there by his favorite biscuit. :ssmile:
Bojo in Snow.jpg
Ah, The Expanse. Everything points to my really liking it (hard SciFi and Star Trek lover that I am), but I didn't. Only made it through 5 episodes. I didn't care about any of the characters. Perhaps I should give it another shot.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:33 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:03 pm
Fred the Cat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:06 pm I started watching “ The Expanse” and Eros plays in the plot. The show reminds me of the Mars Trilogy in the fight over resources within the solar system.

Bojo in Snow.jpg
Ah, The Expanse. Everything points to my really liking it (hard SciFi and Star Trek lover that I am), but I didn't. Only made it through 5 episodes. I didn't care about any of the characters. Perhaps I should give it another shot.
I position it as the greatest television scifi ever created. Interesting and believable politics, and an extraordinary degree of attention to scientific detail and accuracy.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:34 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:43 pm Cross-eyed non-anaglyph for those without glasses or who prefer this format.
PIA02471_800_crossed.jpg
Thanks! I really should go get some red-blue glasses someday. Until then, this was nice.
Mark Goldfain

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:56 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:33 pm

Bojo in Snow.jpg
I position it as the greatest television scifi ever created. Interesting and believable politics, and an extraordinary degree of attention to scientific detail and accuracy.
You've convinced me to give it another try. Was that seemingly exaggerated Coriolis effect seen when one of the characters was pouring some liquid in an early episode really accurate?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:02 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:56 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:33 pm

You've convinced me to give it another try. Was that seemingly exaggerated Coriolis effect seen when one of the characters was pouring some liquid in an early episode really accurate?
Not sure. Certainly, in the books, coriolis effects that occur living inside small bodies that are rotating rapidly are accurately described and tangentially important to the story. There are a few instances when they needed to bend the science a little for practical reasons, but really, I can't think of a scifi film, TV or theatrical, that gets things this right.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:09 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:02 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:56 pm
Not sure. Certainly, in the books, coriolis effects that occur living inside small bodies that are rotating rapidly are accurately described and tangentially important to the story. There are a few instances when they needed to bend the science a little for practical reasons, but really, I can't think of a scifi film, TV or theatrical, that gets things this right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocinante wrote:

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
<<In the novel series The Expanse and its TV series adaptation, the Rocinante is the new name given to a Martian gunship that becomes the primary setting for much of the series.

The progressive rock band Rush sing about the ship Rocinante in both "Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage" and "Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres" on the albums A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres respectively.>>
<<Rocinante is Don Quixote's horse in the two-part 1605/1615 novel Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. In many ways, Rocinante is not only Don Quixote's horse, but also his double: like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities. Rocín in Spanish means a work horse or low-quality horse, but can also mean an illiterate or rough man. There are similar words in English (rouncey), French (roussin or roncin; rosse), Portuguese (rocim), and Italian (ronzino).

The name is a complex pun. In Spanish, ante has several meanings and can function as a standalone word as well as a suffix. One meaning is "before" or "previously". Another is "in front of". As a suffix, -ante in Spanish is adverbial; rocinante refers to functioning as, or being, a rocín. "Rocinante", then, follows Cervantes' pattern using ambiguous, multivalent words, which is common throughout the novel.

Rocinante's name, then, signifies his change in status from the "old nag" of before to the "foremost" steed. As Cervantes describes Don Quixote's choice of name: nombre a su parecer alto, sonoro y significativo de lo que había sido cuando fue rocín, antes de lo que ahora era, que era antes y primero de todos los rocines del mundo—"a name, to his thinking, lofty, sonorous, and significant of his condition as a hack before he became what he now was, the first and foremost of all the hacks in the world".>>
In popular culture:

Rocinante is the name of the camper truck used by author John Steinbeck in his 1960 cross-country road trip, which is depicted in his 1962 travelogue Travels with Charley.

Rocinante is the name of Monsignor Quixote's car in Graham Greenes's 1982 novel Monsignor Quixote.

In the television series Once Upon A Time, which is based upon retellings of literary classics, Rocinante is the name of the horse belonging to a young Regina/Evil Queen.
In chapter 1, Shelton describes Don Quixote's careful naming of his steed:

<<Then did he presently visit his horse, who (though he had more quarters than pence in a sixpence, through leanness, and more faults than Gonella’s), having nothing on him but skin and bone; yet he thought that neither Alexander’s Bucephalus, nor the Cid his horse Balieca, were in any respect equal to him. He spent four days devising him a name; for (as he reasoned to himself) it was not fit that so famous a knight’s horse, and chiefly being so good a beast, should want a known name; and therefore he endeavoured to give him such a one as should both declare what sometime he had been, before he pertained to a knight-errant, and also what at present he was; for it stood greatly with reason, seeing his lord and master changed his estate and vocation, that he should alter likewise his denomination, and get a new one, that were famous and altisonant, as became the new order and exercise which he now professed; and therefore, after many other names which he framed, blotted out, rejected, added, undid, and turned again to frame in his memory and imagination, he finally concluded to name him Rozinante, a name in his opinion lofty, full, and significant of what he had been when he was a plain jade, before he was exalted to his new dignity; being, as he thought, the best carriage beast of the world.>>
Art Neuendorffer

daddyo
Science Officer

Post by daddyo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:01 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:43 pm Cross-eyed non-anaglyph for those without glasses or who prefer this format.
_
PIA02471_800_crossed.jpg
Has anyone ever caught you in the office with your eyes crossed?

BTW thanks again for this version.

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Post by XgeoX » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:56 am

_
PIA02471_800_crossed.jpg
Thanks for posting this Chris, it’s my preferred 3d method (no color artifacts).

Eric
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:02 pm

Thanks for the link to the deep history behind the name Rocinante, neufer. Very interesting indeed!
--