APOD: IC 4592: The Blue Horsehead Nebula... (2021 Jul 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4409
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: IC 4592: The Blue Horsehead Nebula... (2021 Jul 05)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:07 am

Image IC 4592: The Blue Horsehead Reflection Nebula

Explanation: Do you see the horse's head? What you are seeing is not the famous Horsehead nebula toward Orion but rather a fainter nebula that only takes on a familiar form with deeper imaging. The main part of the here imaged molecular cloud complex is a reflection nebula cataloged as IC 4592. Reflection nebulas are actually made up of very fine dust that normally appears dark but can look quite blue when reflecting the visible light of energetic nearby stars. In this case, the source of much of the reflected light is a star at the eye of the horse. That star is part of Nu Scorpii, one of the brighter star systems toward the constellation of the Scorpion (Scorpius). A second reflection nebula dubbed IC 4601 is visible surrounding two stars to the right of the image center.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 11524
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: IC 4592: The Blue Horsehead Nebula... (2021 Jul 05)

Post by Ann » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:06 am


Neigh!!! In space no one can hear the horse's whinny!
APOD Robot wrote:
Reflection nebulas are actually made up of very fine dust that normally appears dark but can look quite blue when reflecting the visible light of energetic nearby stars.

So Nu Sco is painting a part of this cosmic equine blue. What is that part of a horse's face called? Beats me! As you can see in the picture at right, the long stretch of equine face between the forehead and the muzzle appears to be nameless.

Ah, but it's blue! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

VictorBorun
Science Officer
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Re: APOD: IC 4592: The Blue Horsehead Nebula... (2021 Jul 05)

Post by VictorBorun » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:05 am

Ann wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:06 am
What is that part of a horse's face called?
Ann
nose bridge? The nose top thing to support spectacles?
Last edited by VictorBorun on Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6822
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: IC 4592: The Blue Horsehead Nebula... (2021 Jul 05)

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:40 pm

ic4592_block_960.jpg
Horse reflection nebula very realistic of a horse! Ed
should like!🐎
funnyface.jpg
Ma! Naughty horsey stuck his tongue out at us! :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

De58te
Science Officer
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: APOD: IC 4592: The Blue Horsehead Nebula... (2021 Jul 05)

Post by De58te » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:57 pm

I'm not an expert on horses but I'd imagine that part between the forelock and the muzzle would be called the bridge of the nose if you are looking at the horse face to face, and the cheek if you are looking at the horse sideways.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 826
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: IC 4592: The Blue Horsehead Nebula... (2021 Jul 05)

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:17 pm

De58te wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:57 pm
I'm not an expert on horses but I'd imagine that part between the forelock and the muzzle would be called the bridge of the nose if you are looking at the horse face to face, and the cheek if you are looking at the horse sideways.
Yeah, that seems right:

--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 826
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: IC 4592: The Blue Horsehead Nebula... (2021 Jul 05)

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:24 pm

APOD Robot wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:07 am
Image IC 4592: The Blue Horsehead Reflection Nebula

Explanation: Do you see the horse's head? What you are seeing is not the famous Horsehead nebula toward Orion but rather a fainter nebula that only takes on a familiar form with deeper imaging. The main part of the here imaged molecular cloud complex is a reflection nebula cataloged as IC 4592. Reflection nebulas are actually made up of very fine dust that normally appears dark but can look quite blue when reflecting the visible light of energetic nearby stars. In this case, the source of much of the reflected light is a star at the eye of the horse. That star is part of Nu Scorpii, one of the brighter star systems toward the constellation of the Scorpion (Scorpius). A second reflection nebula dubbed IC 4601 is visible surrounding two stars to the right of the image center.
Nu Scorpii is quite a star system! From the WikiPedia page:
Nu Scorpii is a septuple star system.[5] It is one of only two known systems, the other being AR Cassiopeiae. Higher-multiplicity star systems are uncommon because they are less stable than their simpler counterparts, and often decay into smaller systems.

Nu Scorpii is split into two groups, Nu Scorpii AB and Nu Scorpii CD. Nu Scorpii CD is located 41 arcseconds away from Nu Scorpii A, and is also known as HR 6026.[10]
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18365
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: IC 4592: The Blue Horsehead Nebula... (2021 Jul 05)

Post by neufer » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:34 pm

johnnydeep wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:24 pm

Nu Scorpii is quite a star system! From the WikiPedia page:
Nu Scorpii is a septuple star system. It is one of only two known systems, the other being AR Cassiopeiae. Higher-multiplicity star systems are uncommon because they are less stable than their simpler counterparts, and often decay into smaller systems.

Nu Scorpii is split into two groups, Nu Scorpii AB and Nu Scorpii CD. Nu Scorpii CD is located 41 arcseconds away from Nu Scorpii A, and is also known as HR 6026.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_Scorpii wrote:

<<Nu Scorpii bore the traditional name Jabbah, possibly from the Arabic Iklīl al Jabhah ('the crown of the forehead'). In 2016, the IAU's Working Group on Star Names decided to attribute proper names to individual stars. It approved the name Jabbah for the component Nu Scorpii Aa on 30 June 2017.>>
Art Neuendorffer

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer
Posts: 4491
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: APOD: IC 4592: The Blue Horsehead Nebula... (2021 Jul 05)

Post by starsurfer » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:27 pm

I so prefer this north up. :D