APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4650
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:11 am

Image Supernova Remnant Simeis 147

Explanation: It's easy to get lost following the intricate, looping, twisting filaments in this detailed image of supernova remnant Simeis 147. Also cataloged as Sharpless 2-240 it goes by the popular nickname, the Spaghetti Nebula. Seen toward the boundary of the constellations Taurus and Auriga, it covers nearly 3 degrees or 6 full moons on the sky. That's about 150 light-years at the stellar debris cloud's estimated distance of 3,000 light-years. This composite includes image data taken through narrow-band filters where reddish emission from ionized hydrogen atoms and doubly ionized oxygen atoms in faint blue-green hues trace the shocked, glowing gas. The supernova remnant has an estimated age of about 40,000 years, meaning light from the massive stellar explosion first reached Earth 40,000 years ago. But the expanding remnant is not the only aftermath. The cosmic catastrophe also left behind a spinning neutron star or pulsar, all that remains of the original star's core.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

jks
Ensign
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:35 am

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by jks » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:23 am

Hi,

Very nice APOD today!

However, the current 'Discuss' link points to the non-existent page for the 14th (the 'this link' link on that page points to the proper place).

jks

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 12008
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by Ann » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:31 am

HOOClassicBinned_ps1024[1].jpg
Supernova Remnant Simeis 147, the Spaghetti Nebula.
Image Credit & Copyright: Jason Dain

I don't have anything smart to say about this, because supernova remnants are not my forte. I like supernovas when they are new and shiny (and blue if we are lucky, like SN2018gv in NGC 2525), but I'm usually pretty bored by their remnants. But I can try asking you smart people two questions:

1) Why do supernova remnants look so different?


What can we tell about the nature of the explosions and the remnants when we see what the remnants look like?

So is the Crab Nebula so tattered and torn because it has got a very angry pulsar inside it? And the Spaghetti Monster, eh, Simeis 147, and SN 1987A haven't, so they are not? But why is Simeis 147 so intricately spaghettified, and SN 1987A isn't?

Ann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Color Commentator

User avatar
VictorBorun
Science Officer
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by VictorBorun » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:52 am

their ages do differ:
Spaghetti Nebula is 40 ky old
Crab Nebula is 1 ky old
SN 1987A is 0.03 ky old

But what are Spaghetti filaments? Or, what are the many bubbles whose edges and inter-boundaries we can see as filaments?
Are there many magnetic dense clusters in an SN flow and do they blow up after flying apart from each other?

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 7454
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:19 pm

HOOClassicBinned_ps1024.jpg
wiki-flying-spaghetti-monster-plant-vegetable-food-sea-life-transparent-png-864542.png
I thought bit looked 'Icky' 'til I saw Ann's meatball & spaghetti head!
I'll never eat meat balls ans spaghetti again! :roll: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by neufer » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:26 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:19 pm
I thought bit looked 'Icky' 'til I saw Ann's meatball & spaghetti head!
I'll never eat meat balls ans spaghetti again! :roll: :mrgreen:
Swedish meat balls are OK but I wouldn't eat An's spaghetti either.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 7454
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:50 pm

neufer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:26 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:19 pm
I thought bit looked 'Icky' 'til I saw Ann's meatball & spaghetti head!
I'll never eat meat balls ans spaghetti again! :roll: :mrgreen:
Swedish meat balls are OK but I wouldn't eat An's spaghetti either.
.jpg
Oh yes! very good!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
RJN
Baffled Boffin
Posts: 1619
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Michigan Tech

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by RJN » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:18 pm

jks wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:23 am However, the current 'Discuss' link points to the non-existent page for the 14th (the 'this link' link on that page points to the proper place).

jks
Sorry! Just fixed it.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by neufer » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:23 pm

Ann wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:31 am
Why do supernova remnants look so different?
  • 1) Their type.
    2) Their age.
    3) Their environment.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 12008
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by Ann » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:47 pm

neufer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:23 pm
Ann wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:31 am
Why do supernova remnants look so different?
  • 1) Their type.
    2) Their age.
    3) Their environment.
Thank you so much for your exhaustive answer, Art! Now, thanks to you, I know exactly why Simeis 147 looks the way it looks. :?
Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by Fred the Cat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:51 pm

Ann, your Flying Spaghetti Monster reminded me of last night's Nature. :lol2:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by neufer » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:59 pm

Fred the Cat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:51 pm
Ann, your Flying Spaghetti Monster reminded me of last night's Nature. :lol2:
That show came to mind for me as well.

It made be think that any planet with life was bound to have predators & prey
and that eventually some those predators would have to become super intelligent.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
johnnydeep
Captain
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:00 pm

neufer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:59 pm
Fred the Cat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:51 pm
Ann, your Flying Spaghetti Monster reminded me of last night's Nature. :lol2:
That show came to mind for me as well.

It made be think that any planet with life was bound to have predators & prey
and that eventually some those predators would have to become super intelligent.
I don't know about that. What's so inevitable about evolution giving rise to (animal) predators? Why not a world with only plants and herbivores? Or even a world of only plants?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

SeedsofEarfth

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by SeedsofEarfth » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:10 pm

If the explosion is 40K years old, and the light from that explosion had to travel 3K light-years to earth, then wouldn't that mean that the light from the explosion reached earth 43K years ago. I'm confused. Maybe it's just the way the author worded it.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by neufer » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:48 am

SeedsofEarfth wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:10 pm
If the explosion is 40K years old, and the light from that explosion had to travel 3K light-years to earth, then wouldn't that mean that the light from the explosion reached earth 43K years ago. I'm confused. Maybe it's just the way the author worded it.

The [Earth observed] supernova remnant has an estimated age of about 40,000 years, meaning light from the massive stellar explosion first reached Earth [approximately] 40,000 years ago.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16599
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:09 pm

neufer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:59 pm
Fred the Cat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:51 pm
Ann, your Flying Spaghetti Monster reminded me of last night's Nature. :lol2:
That show came to mind for me as well.

It made be think that any planet with life was bound to have predators & prey
and that eventually some those predators would have to become super intelligent.
They only have to become intelligent enough to survive, which may not be "super". And, of course, it may not be technological intelligence at all. Dolphins may have thoughts as complex as humans, or even more so. Their environment does not readily offer technology as a path, however.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant Simeis 147 (2022 Jan 13)

Post by neufer » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:41 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:09 pm
neufer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:59 pm
Fred the Cat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:51 pm
Ann, your Flying Spaghetti Monster reminded me of last night's Nature. :lol2:
That show came to mind for me as well.

It made be think that any planet with life was bound to have predators & prey
and that eventually some those predators would have to become super intelligent.
They only have to become intelligent enough to survive, which may not be "super". And, of course, it may not be technological intelligence at all. Dolphins may have thoughts as complex as humans, or even more so. Their environment does not readily offer technology as a path, however.

(Super intelligent creatures with technology are probably mostly rare because they quickly destroy their environment.)
Art Neuendorffer