APOD: Moon in Inverted Colors (2022 Mar 08)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Moon in Inverted Colors (2022 Mar 08)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:05 am

Image Moon in Inverted Colors

Explanation: Which moon is this? It's Earth's moon -- but in inverted colors. Here, the pixel values corresponding to light and dark areas have been translated in reverse, or inverted, producing a false-color representation reminiscent of a black and white photographic negative. However, this is an inverted color image -- where the muted colors of the moon are real but digitally exaggerated before inversion. Normally bright rays from the large crater Tycho dominate the southern (bottom) features as easily followed dark green lines emanating from the 85-kilometer diameter impact site. Normally dark lunar mare appear light and silvery. The image was acquired in Southend-on-Sea, England, UK. Historically, astronomical images recorded on photographic plates were directly examined on inverted-color negatives because it helped the eye pick out faint details.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

daddyo
Science Officer

Re: APOD: Moon in Inverted Colors (2022 Mar 08)

Post by daddyo » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:38 am

Very nice. The yellow tint on the maria I guess is Earthshine.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:39 am

Let's compare the "true color" and the "inverted color" Moons!

Lady in the Moon true colors Talha Zia.png
The Lady in the Moon in true color. Photo: Talha Zia.
Lady in the Moon inverted colors Dawid Glawdzin.png
Lady in the Moon in inverted color. Photo: Dawid Glawdzin.

As you can see, the Lady in the Moon has two big curls or buns of hair near her forehead. The one farthest to the left is reddish in (more or less) true color, while the one farthest to the right is bluish in (more or less) true color. The colors are switched in the inverted color image.

As you can see in the true color image, there is a lot of reddish and orange color on the Moon. In the inverted image, the reddish and orange parts look greenish or bluish.

Of course light-colored areas are dark in the inverted image, and vice versa.

I'd say that the Moon is darker in color overall than you can see in the "true color image".

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:25 pm

InvertedMoon_Glawdzin_2048.jpg
Very interesting, but why?
I'm old enough to remember photo negatives! You used to get them
with your prints when you had a film developed! You needed them to
get duplicates!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:05 pm

daddyo wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:38 am Very nice. The yellow tint on the maria I guess is Earthshine.
The darkest areas of the Moon, during a full Moon, are much brighter than Earthshine. It isn't contributing anything significant to this image.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

E Fish
Science Officer

Post by E Fish » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:42 pm

As I was scrolling down to see the description, I was thinking, "What have they done to the Moon? The colors look all wrong." Then, I read "inverted-color negative" and it was all clear.

I've never seen the Moon this way. It's really interesting. It almost gives the maria a metallic look.

j_isles

Post by j_isles » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:02 pm

With reference to today's caption, please note that the word mare is singular. The plural is maria.

John

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:10 pm

Another lovely image that shows how one can change the lighting and help the eye see different features!

I'm reminded of the "Terminator Moon" image used for February 15's APOD, with this one begin very different. Today's image looks a lot like an etched-glass globe to me. Whereas the 2022-02-15 APOD showed beautiful craters and mostly lost the rays of impacts, today's image shows the rays emphatically. In that prior discussion, @johnnydeep pointed out that the Terminator Moon image had a very smooth edge. For today's APOD, I would say that you can clearly see the bumpiness of the edge, especially on the right.
Mark Goldfain

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:37 pm

MarkBour wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:10 pm Another lovely image that shows how one can change the lighting and help the eye see different features!

I'm reminded of the "Terminator Moon" image used for February 15's APOD, with this one begin very different. Today's image looks a lot like an etched-glass globe to me. Whereas the 2022-02-15 APOD showed beautiful craters and mostly lost the rays of impacts, today's image shows the rays emphatically. In that prior discussion, @johnnydeep pointed out that the Terminator Moon image had a very smooth edge. For today's APOD, I would say that you can clearly see the bumpiness of the edge, especially on the right.
Indeed. The dark bumps on the white background are especially visible!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Looks like...

Post by Looks like... » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:59 pm

Now it looks like Ganymede.