APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4842
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:05 am

Image Little Planet South Pole

Explanation: Lights play around the horizon of this snowy little planet as it drifts through a starry night sky. Of course the little planet is actually planet Earth. Recorded on August 21, the digitally warped, nadir centered panorama covers nearly 360x180 degrees outside the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica. The southernmost research outpost is near the horizon at the top where the light of dawn is approaching after nearly six months of darkness. Along the bottom is the ceremonial pole marker surrounded by the 12 flags of the original signatories of the Antarctic treaty, with a wild display of the aurora australis above.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Rauf
Ensign
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by Rauf » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:08 am

Milky Way looks funny here :)

heehaw

Re: APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by heehaw » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:47 am

I like these "distorted" pictures, because it drives home to us that our life-long regular daily impression of the universe around us is very partial and misses most of what's there.....

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 7809
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:42 am

spstation_flags.jpg
Good to see countries agree on somethings! 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
VictorBorun
Commander
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Re: APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by VictorBorun » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:06 pm

Rauf wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:08 am Milky Way looks funny here :)
Milky Way looks an ellipse to me. But to check this it would be better to know the constellations
Little Planet South Pole..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Captain
Posts: 1594
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:56 pm

I am easily confused: "nadir centered"? I would think the center of this circle (and the line pointing out from the image to us) represents the zenith at the south pole.

[ EDIT: but of course, the nadir and zenith represent the same straight line, so I guess it doesn't matter. Just seems odd to call it the nadir here. ]
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
Holger Nielsen
Ensign
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:45 am

Re: APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by Holger Nielsen » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:04 pm

The extreme projection used makes it difficult to identify stars. I beleive I have found the pair Alpha and Beta Centauri at about 2 o'clock, the Coalsack with the Southern Cross (upside down :wink:) at 1 o'clock, the Eta Carinae nebula in the Milky Way at 12 o'clock and above it, close to the upper border, stars clustering around Theta Carinae. The bright star at 9:30 o'clock must be Canopus and at 10 o'clock, near the border, we have Alpha Pictoris. Canis Major with Sirius is recognizable near the horizon at 10 o'clock. Also, I just found the Scorpion with Antares at 3 - 4 o'clock.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:15 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:56 pm I am easily confused: "nadir centered"? I would think the center of this circle (and the line pointing out from the image to us) represents the zenith at the south pole.

[ EDIT: but of course, the nadir and zenith represent the same straight line, so I guess it doesn't matter. Just seems odd to call it the nadir here. ]
The center of the image is looking straight down, hence it's the nadir. The zenith in this image is not a point, but a circle which lies outside the rectangular border.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Captain
Posts: 1594
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:21 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:15 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:56 pm I am easily confused: "nadir centered"? I would think the center of this circle (and the line pointing out from the image to us) represents the zenith at the south pole.

[ EDIT: but of course, the nadir and zenith represent the same straight line, so I guess it doesn't matter. Just seems odd to call it the nadir here. ]
The center of the image is looking straight down, hence it's the nadir. The zenith in this image is not a point, but a circle which lies outside the rectangular border.
Ok. Maybe I understand that.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 12355
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by Ann » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:22 pm

I have annotated the image. I had some trouble uploading it, and it became very small.

APOD 26 August 2022 annotated.png

Ann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Color Commentator

Rauf
Ensign
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by Rauf » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:52 pm

Ann wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:22 pm I have annotated the image. I had some trouble uploading it, and it became very small.


APOD 26 August 2022 annotated.png


Ann
Thanks for the annotations Ann! Recognizing southern constellations is so difficult for me :)

canopia
Science Officer
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:09 pm
Location: Bursa, Turkey

Re: APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by canopia » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:26 pm

I’d like to see (and actually prefer) an all-sky version of this.

Tunç Tezel

APOD Robot wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:05 am Image Little Planet South Pole

Explanation: Lights play around the horizon of this snowy little planet as it drifts through a starry night sky. Of course the little planet is actually planet Earth. Recorded on August 21, the digitally warped, nadir centered panorama covers nearly 360x180 degrees outside the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica. The southernmost research outpost is near the horizon at the top where the light of dawn is approaching after nearly six months of darkness. Along the bottom is the ceremonial pole marker surrounded by the 12 flags of the original signatories of the Antarctic treaty, with a wild display of the aurora australis above.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Sa Ji Tario

Re: APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:42 am

An elaborate work to achieve this image that would make us think of the planet of the Little Prince, but the writer only reached about 900 km further north, the end of Patagonia in South America. In addition, the ground is not similar to the land of the baobabs, here they are not seen, there are also no butterflies, it is impossible to find snakes and many more. The stars do not go up and down, here they spin in a childlike round, a territory emancipated from the rest of the world where they live for science.-

User avatar
VictorBorun
Commander
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Re: APOD: Little Planet South Pole (2022 Aug 26)

Post by VictorBorun » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:39 am

Ann wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:22 pm I have annotated the image. I had some trouble uploading it, and it became very small.


APOD 26 August 2022 annotated.png


Ann
Were nadir both the central point of this projection and the Northern Pole, then all the stars would have angular positions according to their Right ascension. That's not exactly the case:
Little Planet South Pole 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.