Fleetwood Mac

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Joseph Hedhli Buell
Ensign
AKA: يوسف هذلي

Fleetwood Mac

Post by Joseph Hedhli Buell » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:08 pm

I am currently independently researching the band Fleetwood Mac, personally one of my favorite bands, and was wondering if anyone is familiar with the band, isn't, has any strong opinions, or wants to share their favorite album(s)/song(s); mine are Then Play On, Mystery To Me, Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, and Tusk/When You Say, Hypnotized, Crystal, Second Hand News, and Sara.

Code: Select all

print("Joseph Hedhli Buell")

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Fleetwood Mac

Post by bystander » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:23 pm

Fleetwood Mac (named after drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie) didn't receive much acclaim in the US until the release of their eighth studio album "Mystery to Me" in 1973 and the single "Hypnotized". Ironically, "Hypnotized" was the b-side of the single. The a-side was a remake of the Yardbirds "For Your Love". Fleetwood Mac had been together as primarily a British blues and blues rock band since 1967.

The band really came into its own in 1975 with the addition of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham and the release of the self-titled "Fleetwood Mac", second album of that name (aka "The White Album"), and their tenth album overall.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:29 pm

Joseph Hedhli Buell wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:08 pm I am currently independently researching the band Fleetwood Mac, personally one of my favorite bands, and was wondering if anyone is familiar with the band, isn't, has any strong opinions, or wants to share their favorite album(s)/song(s); mine are Then Play On, Mystery To Me, Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, and Tusk/When You Say, Hypnotized, Crystal, Second Hand News, and Sara.
While I certainly appreciate songs, I most appreciate albums. And IMO Rumours is one of the greatest, up there with Brothers in Arms, Dreamboat Annie, Diamonds & Rust, Court and Spark, The Dark Side of the Moon, A Night at the Opera, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Get Close, and other masterpieces where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:02 am

I can't say I am a Fleetwood Mac fan, but I do appreciate some of their work. One song that stands out for me is "Never Going Back Again," on Rumors, because the guitar picking is so impressive.

Chris - I tend to "think" in terms of albums too. It's kind of strange, when I was a kid albums were still the norm, but I grew up during the transition to "music as a service." Still, there's something about the way the mind connects the songs on an album, the order, the opening bars on the first track, etc. That and the group of songs in an album connect to things in your life when you first experience it. Granted, some albums are purposefully contiguous (like most things by Floyd) but even when they aren't, my mind seems to make them that way.

Dark Side is one of my favorites too. I also love Floyd's final studio album, The Division Bell. Abbey Road is probably my favorite Beatles album, though I do love Pepper's. A few more of my favorite "indivisible albums": They Might Be Giants Apollo 17, Pumpkin's Gish, Pixies Doolittle, and perhaps my favorite album of all time...nearly perfect in all ways, the album I would choose if I were stranded on an island: Radiohead's OK Computer.