APOD: Artemis 1 Moonshot (2022 Nov 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Artemis 1 Moonshot (2022 Nov 19)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:07 am

Image Artemis 1 Moonshot

Explanation: When the Artemis 1 mission's Orion spacecraft makes its November 21 powered flyby of the Moon, denizens of planet Earth will see the Moon in a waning crescent phase. The spacecraft will approach to within about 130 kilometers of the lunar surface on its way to a distant retrograde orbit some 70,000 kilometers beyond the Moon. But the Moon was at last quarter for the November 16 launch and near the horizon in the dark early hours after midnight. It's captured here in skies over Kennedy Space Center along with the SLS rocket engines and solid rocket boosters lofting the uncrewed Orion to space. Ragged fringes appearing along the bright edge of the sunlit lunar nearside are caused as pressure waves generated by the rocket's passage change the index of refraction along the camera's line of sight.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: Artemis 1 Moonshot (2022 Nov 19)

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:13 pm

DSC_3971-11-16-2022-1024o.jpg
I expected a photo from Artemis and then I found out it was a photo
of the Moon and Artemis together! :mrgreen: Still, it is an interesting shot!
Notice How the rocket blast causes a rippling on the moon's bottom?
Very nice! 8-) Oh yes; I tipped it and cropped to fit my wallpaper.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:32 pm

Yet another astronomical thing I didn't appreciate, which meant that the text referring to this clearly half-illuminated moon as the "last quarter" phase surprised me. But, as usual, I was mistaken about the terminology:
https://earthsky.org/moon-phases/last-quarter/ wrote:The last quarter moon falls one week after the full moon. From Earth, we see the moon half-lit. Actually, we’re seeing one quarter of the moon – hence the name – because the rest of the lit part is on the far side where we can’t see it. A last quarter moon looks like half a pie. It is also called third quarter moon.
And from Wikipedia,

--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:39 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:32 pm Yet another astronomical thing I didn't appreciate, which meant that the text referring to this clearly half-illuminated moon as the "last quarter" phase surprised me. But, as usual, I was mistaken about the terminology:
https://earthsky.org/moon-phases/last-quarter/ wrote:The last quarter moon falls one week after the full moon. From Earth, we see the moon half-lit. Actually, we’re seeing one quarter of the moon – hence the name – because the rest of the lit part is on the far side where we can’t see it. A last quarter moon looks like half a pie. It is also called third quarter moon.
And from Wikipedia,

It is a common point of confusion when I try explaining the terms to students and others. There is "quarter" in the sense of the appearance of the Moon, and there is "quarter" in the sense of time... where the Moon is in its monthly cycle. Of course, people commonly call both first quarter Moon and a last quarter Moon "half moon".
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:56 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:39 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:32 pm Yet another astronomical thing I didn't appreciate, which meant that the text referring to this clearly half-illuminated moon as the "last quarter" phase surprised me. But, as usual, I was mistaken about the terminology:
And from Wikipedia,

It is a common point of confusion when I try explaining the terms to students and others. There is "quarter" in the sense of the appearance of the Moon, and there is "quarter" in the sense of time... where the Moon is in its monthly cycle. Of course, people commonly call both first quarter Moon and a last quarter Moon "half moon".
Yup. Visually, the moon phases should rightly be: new, first quarter, waxing half, waxing three quarter, full, waning three quarter, waning half, waning quarter, new. :ssmile:
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}