APOD: Crescent Moon Occultation (2023 Feb 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Crescent Moon Occultation (2023 Feb 25)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:05 am

Image Crescent Moon Occultation

Explanation: On February 22, a young Moon shared the western sky at sunset with bright planets Venus and Jupiter along the ecliptic plane. The beautiful celestial conjunction was visible around planet Earth. But from some locations Jupiter hid for a while, occulted by the crescent lunar disk. The Solar System's ruling gas giant was captured here just before it disappeared behind the the Moon's dark edge, seen over the Río de la Plata at Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay. In the serene river and skyscape Venus is not so shy, shining brightly closer to the horizon through the fading twilight. Next week Venus and Jupiter will appear even closer in your evening sky.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Sa Ji Tario

Re: APOD: Crescent Moon Occultation (2023 Feb 25)

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:57 pm

These days, Jupiter also becomes "evening star" by definition as sometimes and in turn it's up to Mars or Saturn. In Astronomy it is said that the morning and evening stars can be any bright object on the morning or evening horizon. I had to see the mornings one cool morning before sunrise when I was about 5 years old, a spectacle that I still remember and that impacted me forever, they were Venus and possibly Jupiter quite approximate silhouetted on the eastern horizon in a sky without Luna, for the patience of an older brother who was getting ready to go to the factory where he worked.-
Years later he followed Venus every afternoon until it disappeared behind the horizon and in a few days he reappeared on the morning horizon to be the morning star.

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:32 pm

You could if you like call Jupiter an evening star this week. But Venus is also out and so we have TWO evening stars this week. They are actually getting closer the next few days, and in the night of the 28th or March 1st, (I am not sure which night it is) they are practically going to touch! Then they'll combine into one bigger evening star

dcrooks1960
Asternaut

Post by dcrooks1960 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:03 pm

Hi All,
I'm sure there's a logical explanation for this, but why do they appear reversed, as though they are rising rather than setting? This is how the setting crescent moon appears in my Newtonian reflector, which reverses the image.

Many thanks,
Darren

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:56 pm

dcrooks1960 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:03 pm Hi All,
I'm sure there's a logical explanation for this, but why do they appear reversed, as though they are rising rather than setting? This is how the setting crescent moon appears in my Newtonian reflector, which reverses the image.

Many thanks,
Darren
APOD Robot wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:05 am ... seen over the Río de la Plata at Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay ...

Southern Hemisphere
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

dcrooks1960
Asternaut

Post by dcrooks1960 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:17 pm

bystander wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:56 pm Southern Hemisphere
Thanks!

hilson
Asternaut

Post by hilson » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:23 am

dcrooks1960 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:03 pm Hi All,

Many thanks,
Darren
This is also the second time I have encountered this situation cookie clicker, a friend of mine said that the moon will be different with each season of the year.