APOD: A Multiple Green Flash Sunset (2023 Mar 28)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Multiple Green Flash Sunset (2023 Mar 28)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:05 am

Image A Multiple Green Flash Sunset

Explanation: Yes, but can your green flash do this? A green flash at sunset is a rare event that many Sun watchers pride themselves on having seen. Once thought to be a myth, a green flash is now understood to occur when the Earth's atmosphere acts like both a prism and a lens. Different atmospheric layers create altitude-variable refraction that takes light from the top of the Sun and disperses its colors, creates two images, and magnifies it in just the right way to make a thin sliver appear green just before it disappears. Pictured, though, is an even more unusual sunset. From the high-altitude Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory in Chile one day last April, the Sun was captured setting beyond an atmosphere with multiple distinct thermal layers, creating several mock images of the Sun. This time and from this location, many of those layers produced a green flash simultaneously. Just seconds after this multiple-green-flash event was caught by two well-surprised astrophotographers, the Sun set below the clouds.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: A Multiple Green Flash Sunset (2023 Mar 28)

Post by Ann » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:28 am

Nice APOD! :D

However, me being me, I can't resist showing you this:

So some sunsets come not only with flashes of green, but on rare occasions, even with flashes of blue!!! 😃

Ann
Color Commentator

madtom1999
Ensign

Post by madtom1999 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:17 am

Saw a green flash only once so far. The thing both I and my partner remember was the flash appeared to be across the sky, not just over the sunset. I do wonder if it was the green light being reflected around the inside of the eye but even so the flash was a flash. Not as in the pictures but a lot more intense - as if someone had fired a green camera flash at you.

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:15 pm

I am not satisfied with explanation of green flash either by wiki or this APOD.
1) Why do we normally not see aqua (green to cyan), or lime (green to yellow), or purple (pink to violet), or magenta (pink to red)? Why do we normally see just orange (red to yellow) or blue (violet to cyan)?
2) Why do we get to see a green flash (actually lime) sometimes?

I believe that

1) Generally, a separation process produces, at larger or smaller angles from the source of white light, either light depleted of red and, somewhat, of green (the result is blue), or light depleted of violet and, somewhat, of green (the result is orange). This includes the rims of Sun's disk seen through thick air low at horizon

2) if somehow you get the light go through two opposite filters one after another and get finally depleted both ways, then you should see aqua or lime

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:30 pm

GreenFlashesB_Slovinsky_960.jpg
Ah; so pretty! Amazing that that happens when the conditions are
right! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:42 pm

It is amazing that happens when conditions are right. I suppose it would be EVEN more amazing, even astounding if the green flash happens when conditions are wrong.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:59 pm

All right, I give up: where are the supposed "mock" images of the sun in this image?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

hypermetabolic
Asternaut

Post by hypermetabolic » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:22 am

During my year in Thule, Greenland, only 10 degrees from the North Pole, at the end of the 24 hour sunlight season the setting sun would graze the horizon before rising again. I could change the sun's apparent altitude by walking up and down a north-facing hill. The polar air was very clear, so I could change the apparent colour from almost white throughout the spectrum to an almost violet. The intensity was doubled by the sun's reflection from the reflection by the mirage created by the warmer air over the sea ice, similar to the mirage seen over hot pavement in temperate climes.