Submissions: 2023 September

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Submissions: 2023 September

Post by bystander » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:55 pm

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please post your images here.

Please see this thread before posting images; posting images demonstrates your agreement with
the possible uses for your image.

If hotlinking to an image, please ensure it is under 500K.
Hotlinks to images over 500K slow down the thread too much and will be disabled.

Thank you!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

<- Previous submissions

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

ImNewHere
Ensign

Re: Submissions: 2023 September

Post by ImNewHere » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:02 pm

Here is the M8 and M20 region that I finished up recently and was able to pull detail out that you normally do not see here. For the full size and for image information I have that on my Astrobin here: https://www.astrobin.com/qqsn11/

ImageM8 M20 Area by Scotty Bishop, on Flickr

prashant_naik
Ensign

Post by prashant_naik » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:23 am

We are here. A humbling view of Earth in the Milky Way Galaxy.
Mt_Mitchell_TinyPlanet-v3_w.jpg
This image beautifully contrasts the effects of light pollution on one side with the untouched, dark sky on the other. On the left, the glow of artificial light obscures the natural brilliance of the night sky depicting the effects of artificial light in our modern world. On the right, an untouched canvas of darkness reveals the Milky Way arch in all it's glory. This striking juxtaposition serves as a reminder of the delicate balance between human development and the preservation of night sky.

Date: 19-Aug-2023
Exif: Sony A7 IV using 16-35mm f2.8 lens. Exposure time 15sec at f2.8; ISO 6400
Post Processing: Raw files processed in Lightroom. 87 vertical images were stitched together in Stereographic projection in PTGui. Color correction and other adjustments were done in Photoshop CC.

Copyright: Prashant Naik
https://naikonpixels.com/

PierandreaFolle
Ensign

Post by PierandreaFolle » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:43 pm

Summer Countryside

This image was realized in July in south Italy (Otranto).
The sky is a mosaic of 3 panels, each one of 9 photos stacked together.

EXIF
Nikon Z6IIa
VenusLaowa Argus 28mm f/1.2
Sky (3x9)x30sec | f/2.8 | ISO 1600
Foreground 3x60sec | f/5.6 | ISO 3200

Copyright: Pierandrea Folle
Summer Countryside_IG1.jpg

paumontplet
Ensign

Post by paumontplet » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:44 pm

Our Solar System. Sun, Mercury, Venus, Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.. APOD submission.

Composition that I have taken more than half a year to complete, since Mercury is very difficult to photograph well. Composed of my best images of each planet. Apart of two mosaics of the sun and the moon.
We can se the Sun, our star, with sunspots; Mercury, very difficult to photograph with with some small detail; Venus, planetary (but amazing) hell, in visible light but with some bands of clouds that can be detected; The Moon, our beautiful space companion, with craters and other beautiful details; Mars, the "Red" planet, with some nice detail visible on the surface and some clouds in the in the polar regions; Jupiter, the king of the planets, GRS and Oval BA and, another smalls Ovals, festoons and storms are clearly visible... this planet is amazing and beautiful; Saturn, the lord of the Rings, the treasure of the solar system, a lot of bands are visible, Cassini division and Enke gap are clearly visible; Uranus, with detailed polar region, small seen from Earth but amazing and beautiful; And Neptune, the true blue planet, very small planet seen from Earth, without any detail, but is really spectacular to have a planet so distant and apparently so small in front of us.

Credits: Pau Montplet Sanz
Instagram: @astro_breda
Location of capture: Breda, Spain
Setup: For Sun, Celestron C6. For the other photos, Celestron C11. In both cases the mount is the Skywatcher AzEq6, Player One Mars-C II camera, barlow x2 apo vip baader on planets, 0.5x GSO reducer for Sun and Moon mosaic. And another accessories depends on the circumstances.
Our Solar System. Sun, Mercury, Venus, Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.. APOD submission. by Pau Montplet Sanz

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/531 ... 8ddc_o.jpg
Last edited by bystander on Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Please no hot links to images > 500 kb. Used smaller image.

paumontplet
Ensign

Post by paumontplet » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:10 pm

The ISS and our Solar System. Sun, Mercury, Venus, Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.. APOD submission.

Composition that I have taken more than half a year to complete, since Mercury and the ISS are very difficult to photograph well. Composed of my best images of each planet and the ISS. Apart of two mosaics of the sun and the moon.

We can se the Sun, our star, with sunspots; Mercury, very difficult to photograph with with some small detail; Venus, planetary (but amazing) hell, in visible light but with some bands of clouds that can be detected; The Moon, our beautiful space companion, with craters and other beautiful details; Mars, the "Red" planet, with some nice detail visible on the surface and some clouds in the in the polar regions; Jupiter, the king of the planets, GRS and Oval BA and, another smalls Ovals, festoons and storms are clearly visible... this planet is amazing and beautiful; Saturn, the lord of the Rings, the treasure of the solar system, a lot of bands are visible, Cassini division and Enke gap are clearly visible; Uranus, with detailed polar region, small seen from Earth but amazing and beautiful; Neptune, the true blue planet, very small planet seen from Earth, without any detail, but is really spectacular to have a planet so distant and apparently so small in front of us; And the ISS, the most expensive single object ever created by man is the International Space Station, which after many upgrades, its total cost currently exceeds 150 billion dollars, contributed by 16 countries.

Setup: For Sun, Celestron C6. For the other photos, Celestron C11. In both cases the mount is the Skywatcher AzEq6, Player One Mars-C II camera, barlow x2 apo vip baader on planets, 0.5x GSO reducer for Sun and Moon mosaic. And another accessories depends on the circumstances.
The ISS and our Solar System. Sun, Mercury, Venus, Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.. APOD submission. by Pau Montplet Sanz

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/531 ... 4066_o.jpg
Last edited by paumontplet on Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paumontplet
Ensign

Post by paumontplet » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:02 pm

The Solar System to Scale (APOD submission)

Composition to scale that I have taken more than half a year to complete, since Mercury is very difficult to photograph well. Composed of my best images of each planet and a mosaic of the Sun. The photo of Earth isn't mine, is from NASA, but all other photos (sun, other planets, and moon) are mine.

We can see the Sun, Mercury, Venus, the Earth (this photo is not mine, is from NASA), the Moon,Mars, the "Red" planet, Jupiter, the king of the planets, GRS and Oval BA and, another smalls Ovals, festoons and storms are clearly visible... this planet is amazing and beautiful; Saturn, the lord of the Rings, the treasure of the solar system, a lot of bands are visible, Cassini division and Enke gap are clearly visible; Uranus, with detailed polar region, And Neptune, the true blue planet, very small planet seen from Earth, without any detail, but is really spectacular to have a planet so distant and apparently so small in front of us.

ImageThe Solar System to Scale (APOD submission) by Pau Montplet Sanz

paumontplet
Ensign

Post by paumontplet » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:18 pm

Moon, planets, and sun (and me). The Solar System to Scale (APOD submission)

Composition to scale that I have taken more than half a year to complete, since Mercury is very difficult to photograph well. Composed of my best images of each planet, a mosaic of the sun, and a photo of me and my telescope (i'm not to scale😜)

We can see the Sun, Mercury, Venus, Me and my telescope, the Celestron C11, the Moon (up the telescope), Mars, the "Red" planet, Jupiter, the king of the planets, GRS and Oval BA and, another smalls Ovals, festoons and storms are clearly visible... this planet is amazing and beautiful; Saturn, the lord of the Rings, the treasure of the solar system, a lot of bands are visible, Cassini division and Enke gap are clearly visible; Uranus, with detailed polar region, And Neptune, the true blue planet, very small planet seen from Earth, without any detail, but is really spectacular to have a planet so distant and apparently so small in front of us.

Moon, planets, and sun. The Solar System to Scale (APOD submission)
by Pau Montplet Sanz

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/531 ... 9596_o.jpg
Last edited by bystander on Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clm
Asternaut

Post by clm » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:16 pm

Hi everyone,

Here is a picture from the Italian Alps, at 2800 m.
It's a single exposure of 10s with a 24mm 1.4.
We can spot M55, M22, M7, the Lagoon and Trifid nebulas
There was also green airglow, emitted by atomic oxygen, on the left.

ImageLagoon on another planet by Clément Brustel, Flickr

tango33
Science Officer

Post by tango33 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:52 pm

Although NOT a planet...it still moves...:)

Pluto's movement in August 2023...
Full frame:
https://pbase.com/tango33/image/173942745/original
Kfir Simon

isultan
Ensign

Post by isultan » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:58 am

Solar System in One Week

My photos of our Solar System from this week: the Blue Supermoon, Saturn at opposition (with Titan, Rhea, and Iapetus), and Jupiter with its four Galilean moons (Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto). I represent the Gas Giants as they appeared through the eyepiece of my 8 inch Dobsonian telescope. The challenge is the wide dynamic range between the light of the very bright planets and their much fainter moons. Our eyes are able to overcome this dynamic range, but cameras struggle with capturing both the satellites and the details of their planets in a single exposure. To solve this issue I used an HDR composite technique.

Date: August 28 and September 1, 2023
Copyright: Imran Sultan

rudi
Asternaut

Post by rudi » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:40 am

Full resolution:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/v314vgcx ... 238j&raw=1

I have tried to make a so-called "mineral moon", where the colors are greatly enhanced, which can show some of the areas on the Moon where certain minerals are concentrated.
Some of the minerals found on the Moon's surface are iron oxide, titanium dioxide, magnesium oxide, aluminum oxide, silicon dioxide, sodium oxide, calcium oxide and many more.

Blue colors indicate high concentration of titanium, orange-red iron and the other colors are a mixture of different minerals.

I took about 3300 in total pictures with R, G and B filters (about 60 GB of data)

Telescope: 10" f/5 ATM newton
Mount: Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro
Camera: ZWO ASI1600MM-Pro
Filters: R, G and B
Software: FireCapture + AutoStakkert + Astroart + Affinity Photo

Photographed friday the 2'nd of september 2023 from Svendborg, Denmark.

More info: https://www.astrobin.com/qet7sm/
Last edited by bystander on Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paumontplet
Ensign

Post by paumontplet » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:04 am

We are so small... (Solar System to Scale, full sun)

This is a composition of the planets, sun and our moon to scale.
All images are mine except the image of the earth which is from NASA. Images captured for more than half a year. They are also my best images of each object..
Mercury is very very small, is difficult to see in the image. It's amazing how small we are compared to the sun, and how small the sun is compared to other stars...It's even scary, hehehe...

Credits: Nasa (Earth image)
Pau Montplet Sanz (all the other images)

Date of capture: without a specific date, over more than half a year

Images processed in Astrosurface and Winjupos, composition created on photoshop using a google image for size reference.

ImageWe are so small... (Solar System to Scale, full sun) by Pau Montplet Sanz, en Flickr

paumontplet
Ensign

Post by paumontplet » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:25 am

Solar System to scale (and me and my telescope), a game of marbles.
This is a composition of the Planets, and Sun to scale, I can't take a photo of earth, so I put one photo, me with my friend. We are not to scale with the other objects 😁
All images are mine. Images captured for more than half a year. They are also my best images of each object..
Can you see Mercury??, is difficult to see in the image. It's amazing how small we are compared to the sun. Seeing images like this is when we realize that we are literally nothing.

Setup: For Sun, Celestron C6. For the other photos, Celestron C11. In both cases the mount is the Skywatcher AzEq6, Player One Mars-C II camera, barlow x2 apo vip baader on planets, 0.5x GSO reducer for Sun and Moon mosaic. And other accessories depend on the circumstances.

Images of planets / sun processed in Astrosurface and Winjupos, composition created on photoshop using a google image for size reference.
ImageSolar System to scale (and me and my telescope), a game of marbles. by Pau Montplet Sanz, en Flickr

paumontplet
Ensign

Post by paumontplet » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:06 pm

All are balls, one very big, other smalls
This is a composition of the planets, sun and our moon.

Solar System to Scale. One section for the Sun and planets to scale, and another section for only the planets to scale for more details on the images.

All images are mine except the image of the earth which is from NASA. Images captured for more than half a year. They are also my best images of each object..
Mercury is very very small, is difficult to see in the image, our moon too.

Credits: Nasa (Earth image)
Pau Montplet Sanz (all the other images)

Images processed in Astrosurface and Winjupos, composition created on photoshop using a google image for size reference.
ImageAll are balls, one very big, other smalls by Pau Montplet Sanz, en Flickr
ImageAll are balls, one very big, other smalls by Pau Montplet Sanz, en Flickr

paumontplet
Ensign

Post by paumontplet » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:20 pm

Gravity is wonderful. Spheres here, spheres there, big, small...
Solar System to scale (and me and my telescope not to scale hehehe)
This is a composition of the Planets, and Sun to scale, I can't take a photo of earth, so I put one photo, me with my friend. We are not to scale with the other objects 😁
All images are mine. Images captured for more than half a year. They are also my best images of each object..
Can you see Mercury??, is difficult to see in the image, you can see it "better" in the side image!. It's amazing how small we are compared to the sun. And hpw small are de sun compared to other stars... Seeing images like this is when we realize that we are literally nothing.

Setup: For Sun, Celestron C6. For the other photos, Celestron C11. In both cases the mount is the Skywatcher AzEq6, Player One Mars-C II camera, barlow x2 apo vip baader on planets, 0.5x GSO reducer for Sun and Moon mosaic. And other accessories depend on the circumstances.

Images of planets / sun processed in Astrosurface and Winjupos, composition created on photoshop using a google image for size reference.
ImageGravity is wonderful. Spheres here, spheres there, big, small... by Pau Montplet Sanz, en Flickr
ImageGravity is wonderful. Spheres here, spheres there, big, small... by Pau Montplet Sanz, en Flickr

matuutex
Ensign

Post by matuutex » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:18 pm

Desolate tree and volcano of southern Chile.
Copyright: Marcelo Maturana Rodríguez (@matuutex)
Location: Vicente Pérez Rosales National Park, Lakes Region, Chile
Date: 28 May 2023
Instagram: @matuutex
Nikon d5600, Tokina lens 14/20mm f2
Foreground: 14mm f2 iso 2000 20 segs Sky: 35mm f1.8 iso 2500
Vertical panorama (3 Photos)

Desolate tree and volcano of southern Chile. by Marcelo Maturana, en Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/531 ... 9d9d_h.jpg
Last edited by bystander on Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barretosmed
Science Officer

Post by barretosmed » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 pm

CENTAURUS A --- NGC 5128

The central region of the Centaurus A galaxy, located just 11 million light-years from Earth, encompasses a tangle of events.
Its central region encompasses clusters of blue stars and gigantic cosmic dust.
The main theory about Centaurus A would be the collision between two galaxies, one elliptical and the other spiral, which were consumed by a central black hole

BEST DETAILS:
https://www.astrobin.com/full/2hc23j/C/

EQUIPMENT:
Esprit 150mm triplet
Zwo asi 6200mc
Mount CEM120
Frames 270X300"

DATES: From 03/26/2023 to 06/12/2023

PROCESSING AND CAPTURE:
Adobe Photoshop, ASTAP, SGP, PHD2 and PixInsight
Author: Fernando Oliveira de Menezes
Email: Barretosmed@hotmail.com
Attachments
CENTAURUSA2.jpg

Roi Levi
Ensign

Post by Roi Levi » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:07 am

Hello Orion Hello Aurora

Aurora and orion shot in iceland Vesterhorn
Panorama V2, Canon EOS ra in RGBHA
Credit Roi Levi\USA - https://www.instagram.com/astroi_levi/?hl=en

Orion & Aurora In The North Pole
By Roi Levi @astroi_levi

Educational Post, Technical Details:

H alpha 20 sec X 13 Frames Iso 6400
RGB 1 Frames 13 Sec Exposure iso 800 X4 frames for panorama
Shot with Canon Eos R astro modified Camera
Using a Fast Lens Sigma Art 14mm of F1.8

Story:
i always enjoyed the night skies, i started astro photography following Robert Gandler Work and learned more about space objects and the frequencies they contained,

Today I teach Astrophotography Workshops with Texas Astronomical Soicety and privet workshops worldwide in Utah califronia USA Iceland and middle east with deepspaceworkshops.

The mission to capture something new that have not captured before is a hard mission, my goal was to capture Aurora and Orion was a hard mission that need the right conditions to align .
Need a no moon night need aurora and I needed clear skies .
I went to Iceland with intentions to capture that frame, knowing if I’ll make both RGB frame and H alpha frame, I’ll be able to get a lot of details from the night skies.

As technology evolves and astro photography filters become more accessible, we can now start to see new combinations of astrophotography from the city or from places never seen before. Combining space objects with northern lights by using one exposure without filter and one exposure with an H alpha filter - without moving the camera, we capture more photons and more frequencies of color enhancement in the right places and document space and time in a more accurate way.

On oct 25 2022 in Iceland I had the right conditions. The clouds started to clear and I managed to capture Orion and the Aurora with the most detailed shot ever been taking of aurora and orion together thanks to the new filter technology.

Website
https://deepspaceworkshops.com/

Facebook
https://m.facebook.com/RoiLeviPhotography

Instegram
https://www.instagram.com/astroi_levi/?hl=en
Attachments
Orion & Aurora in RGBHA By Roi Levi apod.jpg

astrosama
Ensign

Post by astrosama » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:17 pm

Comet Nishimura over the volcano-shaped Mountains,
The Black desert
Date :26 Aug 23

Comet C/2023 P1 (Nishimura)

In western Egyptian Desert, there is a region of volcano-shaped and widely separated mounds known as the Black Desert. The majority of its mounds have basalt sills on top, giving them their distinctive black colour.

Comet Nishimura shines over the Black Mountains, announcing its appearance, and is currently shining near sunrise

These mountains belong to a volcanic activity millions of years ago in this region, which has now become inactive...but this comet does not care about this and revolves over millions of years as well to come and say hello.

ImageComet Nishimura over the volcano-shaped Mountains, The Black desert by osama Fathi, on Flickr

Gears :
Nikon Z6 (Mod) , RedCat51 , Skywatcher Staradventurer 2i

EXIF:
Lights :Comet tracked and stacked : 25*1 min , Iso 2500,
Darks:25, Flats :40, Dark Flats: 20, Bias :50

Foreground: Blue hour 2.5 Sec, ISO 1250

Credit :
Osama Fathi / https://www.instagram.com/osama.fathi.nswatcher85/
Social:
https://www.instagram.com/osama.fathi.nswatcher85/
https://www.facebook.com/NSWatcher/

the Black desert, Egypt

BorisH
Asternaut

Post by BorisH » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:18 pm

This pictures shows the sunrise behind Cerro Armazones with the building site of the ELT, the largest telescope in the world, currently being built in Chile, close to Antofagasta. The picture was taken on August 28, 2023 at just past 6am, from the Paranal Observatory Site, where ESO currently runs the VLTs, VLTI, VST and VISTA (and hosts a few more telescopes).
These pictures can only be taken twice a year, when the sun aligns perfectly at sunrise, but this one is extremely special. At the last opportunity, the dome was not more than wall, at the next opportunity, it will be closed. So this was the only chance to get this shot with the frame of the dome in front of the sun. With the 2 large sunspots, the setup looks like one telescope-sized smiley.

There's also a timelapse of this sunset, which you can see here:
https://www.eso.org/public/unitedkingdo ... 336a/?lang

EXIF:
Sony A7III with Sony GM 100-400mm lens and 1.4Teleconverter == 560mm (and cropped further), and a sunfilter.
Exposure time: 1/30s
Aperture: f/10

I regularly upload timelapses (mostly) from the Paranal platform to my Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/@BorisHaeussler

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:48 pm

Comet C/2023 P1 Nishimura
This is a tricky object to capture, because it is quite close to the Sun in the sky. There is a narrow window of about an hour before morning twilight wipes it out. Luckily, it is very bright and does show up against a somewhat light sky. This comet is likely to reach naked eye brightness, but whether it will be visible during twilight is uncertain.

Details:
QSI 660 camera on 250mm RC, Astronomic RGB filters
7 minutes each RGB (30-second subs)
Processed with PixInsight and Photoshop
Final image resolution 0.93 arcsec/pixel, 21 arcminute wide field
_
C_2023P1_20230905.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Luismi_Azorin
Asternaut

Post by Luismi_Azorin » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:24 pm

"A window to the stars"

Credit: Luis Miguel Azorin - Natural Portraits Project (www.naturalportraits.es - https://www.instagram.com/natural_portraits)

Explanation: In August I spent some days in a centenary monastery in Teruel (Spain). Monasterio el Olivar is a privileged place where it's possible to be in contact with the nature and to observe the stars as in few other places. I discovered that my bedroom window was pointing to the Perseid's radiant, so I placed my camera and I configured it to capture images during all the night. The result is this image: an original framing of the Perseids through a privileged window.

Gear: Sony A6400 with Tokina 11-16 f2.8, working at 14mm. 900 photos processed with Nebulb to detect and to stack the Perseids and Luminar NEO to finish the photo.
Desde-mi-ventana[1].jpg
More resolution: https://www.naturalportraits.es/wp-cont ... entana.jpg
Last edited by bystander on Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please no hot links to images > 500 kb. Uploaded image as an attachment.

V. Petkov

Post by V. Petkov » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:59 am

MallowFDT

Post by MallowFDT » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:36 am

An extremely large speck of dust in the morning sky - ELT sunrise from VLT by E. Garcés, on Flickr

Name: An extremely large speck of dust in the morning sky - ELT sunrise from VLT

Description: While this might not be the only picture taken of the Extremely Large Telescope (ELT) at Cerro Armazones with the sun rising behind it, it is one of the last ones taken from the Very Large Telescope summit in Cerro Paranal during the 2023.
Indeed, August 28th and 29th marked the final opportunity for the sun to be aligned between the two summits at sunrise during this year. Moreover, this occurrence might be unique since it's unlikely to be repeated with a naked ELT dome, which is advancing fast in its construction. Next time the same alignment occurs, the dome will most certainly be complete and fully covered by metal. Additionally, two sunspots are visible as well, as if the Sun’s eyes were just peeking behind the telescope.

The picture was taken on August 29th, at ~07:03hrs (UT -4, Chilean winter time).