APOD Slack Unfurls

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
bgreenlee
Asternaut

APOD Slack Unfurls

Post by bgreenlee » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:53 pm

We're big fans of APOD at my company, and we have a #space Slack channel where we automatically post a link to APOD every morning. However, the unfurl you get in Slack isn't terribly interesting:

However, Slack will look for OpenGraph metadata headers in the page and use those if it finds them. I wrote a little app that uses the NASA APOD API to generate the headers and then automatically redirect to the APOD page. This is what it looks like in Slack:

Ideally, the APOD page could incorporate these headers and this hack wouldn't be necessary. In the meantime, feel free to use my app at https://astroslack.fly.dev, or create your own API key and host it yourself.

Cheers,

Brad

lvesbagel
Asternaut

Re: APOD Slack Unfurls

Post by lvesbagel » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:15 pm

Give me more infomation via ivesbagel@gmail.com.snake game Waiting!

gildshelfie
Asternaut

Re: APOD Slack Unfurls

Post by gildshelfie » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:33 am

bgreenlee wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:53 pm We're big fans of APOD at my company, and we have a #space Slack channel where we automatically post a link to APOD every morning. However, the unfurl you get in Slack isn't terribly interesting:

Howeversurvivor io, Slack will look for OpenGraph metadata headers in the page and use those if it finds them. I wrote a little app that uses the NASA APOD API to generate the headers and then automatically redirect to the APOD page. This is what it looks like in Slack:

Ideally, the APOD page could incorporate these headers and this hack wouldn't be necessary. In the meantime, feel free to use my app at https://astroslack.fly.dev, or create your own API key and host it yourself.

Cheers,

Brad
A great idea. I'm really excited to see your results. :ssmile: